The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much.

The layout is et up again, this time at the clubhouse for the Shipley show this weekend. We are on the ground floor next to Hornsey Broadway and Culm, with Wansbeck Road nearby, esteemed company indeed.

A few shots taken earlier:

post-9707-0-40906200-1442604201_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-43469700-1442604218_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-10031500-1442604236_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-09787300-1442604254_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Jason,

be afraid, very afraid as I am hoping to visit the show tomorrow so watch for wagons mysteriously falling off all over the place!

baz

PS shall I bring an EM gauge A3 or two????

• Like 2

Thanks very much.

The layout is et up again, this time at the clubhouse for the Shipley show this weekend. We are on the ground floor next to Hornsey Broadway and Culm, with Wansbeck Road nearby, esteemed company indeed.

I remember you having a little difficulty with the camera while taking pictures of Bacup a while back, Jason, but you've obviously mastered it now. These shots are excellent! But then, everything you've shown us shows your ability to raise your game steadily (not to forget Chris's input of course!)

See you Saturday morning.

• RMweb Premium

I feel sorry for the bloke with the wheel barrow. There are three huge hoppers for the coal, and he's got one barrow to shift the coal into the boiler room.

He's lucky. In my day I had six hoppers twice that size and only a teaspoon to shift the coal. And I was blindfolded.

Thanks very much.

Those pictures look great - it would be interesting to see the second and third in black and white: I think they would be hard to distinguish from photos of a real location somewhere.

Ps congratulations on the award for the layout

I won't be there for long Barry, as baby duties outrank train duties. Hope to see you in the morning though.

Just don't do what I did and buy a motorcycle and you should survive! 

Congrats on the little one, you've got many happy moments and memories ahead - mine's just started playing with Brio :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just don't do what I did and buy a motorcycle and you should survive! 

Congrats on the little one, you've got many happy moments and memories ahead - mine's just started playing with Brio :D

There's plenty of time to teach him or her about gauge, sleeper spacing or even connecting rods.

There are folks out their that think Brio is finescale... Some of them ain't even seen a town before.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I have had three hours of a sleeping baby this evening, which has afforded me the pleasure of doing some modelling. As such, I managed to finish the LNER mineral wagon and get most of the way through an LMS steel sides van. Both of these are Cambrian kits, whose idiosyncrasies I am now getting used to. Both are (or will be) shod with Lanarkshire buffers, the chunky brake gear replaced with spares from Parkside kits and the dummy safety loops on those replaced with staples (still to be done on the van).

Crap photo I know, but baby was waking up

post-9707-0-57086700-1442792079_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Those shots really were awful so I took some more. Many may find wagons dull but I love building kits and also much prefer freight over passenger stock. We probably have enough stock for the layout in it's later period now but I have a fair few wagons already painted but awaiting lettering & weathering, these two and at last count, 10 other kits to build. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

post-9707-0-43092900-1442812439_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-00115400-1442812453_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-13102700-1442812473_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-79402200-1442812487_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Nice job on those wagons; I also end up with a backlog of them which get as far as painted (at least in primer) but sit awaiting transfers for ages.

Have you been following the recent articles in MRJ on modelling the different varieties of LMS van, modified from the Cambrian kits?

• RMweb Premium

Those shots really were awful so I took some more. Many may find wagons dull but I love building kits and also much prefer freight over passenger stock. We probably have enough stock for the layout in it's later period now but I have a fair few wagons already painted but awaiting lettering & weathering, these two and at last count, 10 other kits to build. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I've got one of those van kits on the go at the moment, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it.  I didn't replace the brake gear, but probably should have done; I like the idea of using staples for the safety loops.  I did however replace the roof with one made out of 20 thou Plastikard, as it seemed easier than trying to get rid of the thickening in the middle of the ends.  Will it be in BR livery and if so have you got any transfers in mind for it?  I used a set of numbers from Cambridge Custom Transfers Sheet BL5 (M147495) although I'm not convinced it's right for this type of van - LMS Diagram 1828 seems to have covered all these steel bodied vans although there were differences in the doors and sides, as explained in the MRJ article.

I enjoyed watching The Mill being put through it's paces at Shipley yesterday, and had a chat with Chris about construction techniques, etc.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I will probably use HMRS Methfix transfers for both (and both will be BR livery) as although they are fiddly, I like the lack of carrier film that can be a pain to disguise / trim round.

I'm glad you liked the layout. I'm looking forward to whatever exhibition comes next, when I might actually be able to attend and operate it :)

• Like 3