The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Well there's a turn-up for the books; we knew the layout was going to be in MRJ but never imagined that it would be on the front cover!

attachicon.gifIMG_4894.JPG

I'd like to complain. I went into Smith's in Sutton Coldfield this evening and they didn't have the new MRJ. I may have to do something rash like mention sausage next.

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to complain. I went into Smith's in Sutton Coldfield this evening and they didn't have the new MRJ. I may have to do something rash like mention sausage next.

You keep that sausage in your pocket

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Now that MRJ is out, here are a few photos that Chris and I took that weren't used (possibly because they are crap).

post-9707-0-68513600-1495712184_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-83845100-1495712212_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-44527800-1495712276_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-92791100-1495712319_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

My copies only arrived today, I think the cart horse has brought it

Geoff

Must be the same 'oss that delivered mine yesterday, he's working his way northwards.

Great article and some cracking photos lads, nice one.

• RMweb Gold

My copies only arrived today, I think the cart horse has brought it

Geoff

Must be the same 'oss that delivered mine yesterday, he's working his way northwards.

Great article and some cracking photos lads, nice one.

9007d7413d9b8b11c33de8817c664ecd.jpg

This must be the 'oss what's bringing mine then!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Now that MRJ is out, here are a few photos that Chris and I took that weren't used (possibly because they are crap).

If they are the c**p ones, then I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the good ones.

Adrian

I mention in the MRJ 255 topic about brickwork, but now I've found this topic, a Question.
The Loading Shed brickwork, Stretcher Bond throughout?
I'm sure you must be right as your up in the industrial heartlands,

but I would have thought English Bond or English Garden Wall type for such a high face.

• RMweb Premium

It's actually SE Finecast 7mm stretcher bond brick, to represent dressed stone in 4mm. Maybe a bit too uniform but some sand / gritstone buildings do appear to be built of stones that are pretty regular in size. It is more convincing as stone (in my opinion) than the SEF 4mm dressed stone sheets (and has narrower mortar courses), which was actually used on the chimney (borrowed, rather permanently it would seem) from Bacup.

I guess I could have used Slaters as on the mill but to be honest we were running out of time and I fancied putting in the corner stones; it would have been a pain and possibly looked scruffy had I tried to trim the Slaters stones to size to fit convincingly. I used the SEF sheets on a couple of buildings on Bacup too, so that not all structures were constructed from the same stone.

It's nice to see a van with the door open, static action (I suppose that's an oxymoron?).

Edit : Seen on another layout, though the horse linkage seems to be adrift,

... and although the brake levers are down, the brake blocks don't seem to be touching the wheels....:-

post-6979-0-34861300-1495786427_thumb.jpg

The 'ILAM GAS' wagon (made up livery) was on John Degg and Bill Wood's layout ILAM (Ilam) - also known as 11 am

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Finally got my hands on a copy of MRJ, Good article chaps. Think this edition souls be renamed the coal drop edition. Hate to point it out but the other layout's coal drops are bigger. #coaldropenvey

Hate to point it out but the other layout's coal drops are bigger.

On the MRJ thread I mention Guano Drops too...

The Station at Little Bytham set in the Victorian period with these would make a nice Cameo layout

• RMweb Premium

Finally got my hands on a copy of MRJ, Good article chaps. Think this edition souls be renamed the coal drop edition. Hate to point it out but the other layout's coal drops are bigger. #coaldropenvey

Size isn't everything!

• 3 weeks later...

Morning 

Just a little reminder that The Mill plus six other excellent layouts will be at the first Staffordshire Finescale Group & Friends show Sat 8th July.

This is going to be an excellent showcase with a relaxed atmosphere. 

post-19016-0-45420400-1498034530_thumb.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119176-staffordshire-finescale-group-modelling-showcase-8th-july-2017/

Cheers

Chris

Jason, Chris. Just had a very enjoyable few hours reading through this thread. Blimey, there's a heck of a lot of impressive modelling here. Well done on your awards and articles, thoroughly well deserved!

Thanks for taking the time to share the build on here.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Jason, Chris. Just had a very enjoyable few hours reading through this thread. Blimey, there's a heck of a lot of impressive modelling here. Well done on your awards and articles, thoroughly well deserved!

Thanks for taking the time to share the build on here.

Cheers

Hi. Come and see the mill on the 8th July 2017 (see leaflet above). That's not too far from you. Say hi to the team, lots of layouts in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Andy

Hi. Come and see the mill on the 8th July 2017 (see leaflet above). That's not too far from you. Say hi to the team, lots of layouts in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Andy

If I can arrange the necessary domestic permit, that's the plan!