The Mill

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little something I have been working on recently, a Judith Edge Ruston 88DS. I need to re-space the frame weights (there should be no gap between them by the looks of it), add pickups and the chip before it can be painted & glazed. Unlikely to be finished by the Leeds show next weekend but if it's running, it'll be coming along anyway. Edit: it's not bolted together in the photo, which is why the bonnet is not in line with the frames :)

msg-9707-0-57406800-1476994564.jpg

Can I ask what running gear u used In this mate I'm looking at one and your 48ds cheers

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Both are Judith Edge kits and come complete with Gibson wheels, Mashima motors and High Level gearboxes. If I remember correctly the 48 comes with a Quad Driver and the 88 with a Rustler, both of which drive both axles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the drivetrains, here are a couple of shots which show the 88DS at the stage where I am wiring in the chip; I could also fit the capacitor into the cab but not sure yet. As can be seen, it is all but complete now apart from glazing, painting and adding weight.

post-9707-0-51213200-1480056110_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-33884900-1480056170_thumb.jpg

It is actually the third Judith Edge kit I have built, the first being started over five years ago and then put on the back burner when I discovered that they weren't built until after my modelling period. However, recently I have dug it out and moved forward to the point where the end is in sight and who knows, maybe we can have an early 70's mad half hour at the end of shows. It's a Thomas Hill Vanguard and if anyone is in doubt about how long it has been sat on the 'to complete' pile, it appears in one of the first posts on my Bacup thread!

post-9707-0-35059100-1480056514_thumb.jpg

And finally, a loco which is unlikely to see much use on The Mill, an L&Y Class 23. I have owned a second hand OO Works one for a number of years now but it ran like a crippled tortoise. At the 2015 Expo EM North, I managed to pick up a George Norton kit of one for £20, only to later discover that the boiler was missing. Now I could have got a new boiler from London Road but chose instead to build up the chassis and mate it with the RTR body. This has involved shortening the chassis, adding compensation (not catered for in the kit) and adapting the High Level method for the brakes so that they are removable. It has turned into a rather enjoyable but sometimes frustrating labour of love but is getting there now.

post-9707-0-16179900-1480056931_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-05970800-1480056957_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-44729800-1480056981_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Regarding the drivetrains, here are a couple of shots which show the 88DS at the stage where I am wiring in the chip; I could also fit the capacitor into the cab but not sure yet. As can be seen, it is all but complete now apart from glazing, painting and adding weight.

attachicon.gifIMG_4450.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4451.JPG

It is actually the third Judith Edge kit I have built, the first being started over five years ago and then put on the back burner when I discovered that they weren't built until after my modelling period. However, recently I have dug it out and moved forward to the point where the end is in sight and who knows, maybe we can have an early 70's mad half hour at the end of shows. It's a Thomas Hill Vanguard and if anyone is in doubt about how long it has been sat on the 'to complete' pile, it appears in one of the first posts on my Bacup thread!

attachicon.gifIMG_4452.JPG

And finally, a loco which is unlikely to see much use on The Mill, an L&Y Class 23. I have owned a second hand OO Works one for a number of years now but it ran like a crippled tortoise. At the 2015 Expo EM North, I managed to pick up a George Norton kit of one for £20, only to later discover that the boiler was missing. Now I could have got a new boiler from London Road but chose instead to build up the chassis and mate it with the RTR body. This has involved shortening the chassis, adding compensation (not catered for in the kit) and adapting the High Level method for the brakes so that they are removable. It has turned into a rather enjoyable but sometimes frustrating labour of love but is getting there now.

attachicon.gifIMG_4453.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4454.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4455.JPG

Morning mate.

The 23 chassis is looking great, nice work on the compensating beam.

Chris

Hi,

Both are Judith Edge kits and come complete with Gibson wheels, Mashima motors and High Level gearboxes. If I remember correctly the 48 comes with a Quad Driver and the 88 with a Rustler, both of which drive both axles.

I think the drives must be purpose made by High Level being that their is nothing on the High Level website like them

Geoff

• RMweb Premium

I spotted that Geoff; I was going to add a link but couldn't find them on the re-jigged site. I'm pretty sure that Chris would supply one if needed, as I presume that they are still being made as they are included in the Judith Edge kits and with the RT Models Sentinels.

I spotted that Geoff; I was going to add a link but couldn't find them on the re-jigged site. I'm pretty sure that Chris would supply one if needed, as I presume that they are still being made as they are included in the Judith Edge kits and with the RT Models Sentinels.

The quad driver is on the High Level website - it's listed under 'Bogies'. Three wheelbase options available - 20, 21, 23mm.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 88DS is getting closer to completion. It's now painted (with the exception of the bufferbeam which needs a couple more coats), glazed, chipped and has a fair amount of lead glued in. Weathering and AJ fitting still remains to do but it should be done for Christmas, even if it won't get a run on the layout for a month or so afterwards.

post-9707-0-60092900-1481663075_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-65992600-1481663095_thumb.jpg

P.s. It's not bolted together in the shots.

• Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a fair bit of discussions, planning, joking and procrastination, the Staffordshire Finescale Group and Friends (which includes us - yes, we actually have friends ;)) have decided that we will hold a modelling showcase day in Gnosall on Saturday 8th July. As can be seen from the below poster, The Mill will be one of the layouts present and will be it's first outing to the Midlands. We'll not only bring the layout but also a collection of the ongoing locos and rolling stock in progress and if anyone is interested in such things, we'll be happy to blather on for ages about what we have done, are doing, will be doing, etc.

post-1-0-49485900-1484830418.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I know it shouldn't really matter but if any of you have the latest MRJ, a photo of The Mill appears on page 410, albeit in an advert for the Chris Kedgeley Skills Day. Still.....,, :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...