The Mill

• RMweb Premium

I'm with you there Mark, kits are addictive and the more you do, the more you need to buy to satisfy the cravings.

Not long ago, I dug a Bachmann Covhop out of it's storage box and out of curiosity, popped some EM wheels in. To my surprise, they went in straight away as the brakes are gauged for EM / P4 rather than the expected OO. Now I really like Covhops as they are such an interesting wagon visually but for the life of me, I can't think if a reason why one would be needed at a textile mill. Also and of more relevance, I felt guilty for thinking about using an RTR wagon on the layout.

I'm maybe in too deep but I'm not going cold turkey :)

• Like 8

Would textile coluring agents be brought in in powder form, to be made into liquid dyes on site ?

I would doubt that a mill of the type and location modeled would have carried out dying. Vast amounts of water are required, so dye works are nearly always next to a river or other water source and were generally separate from the textile production mills.

Dave,

I can't think if a reason why one would be needed at a textile mill. Also and of more relevance, I felt guilty for thinking about using an RTR wagon on the layout.

Possibly Sodium carbonate if it was a wool mill. Sodium hydroxide in a cotton mill. I'm trying to remember back to O level geography. Something to do with lanolin removal from fibres rings a bell? I suppose it depend on how advanced in production methods, your particular mill  is.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

That'll do for me; I didn't need much persuading or reason. Unloading facilities would need to be off-scene though.

Just got to work out how to fit AJ's to them now

• Like 7

Unloading facilities would need to be off-scene though.

Might have used a similar Archimedes system to these grain wagons?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/186/entry-16209-Bachmann-grain-wagon/

(Towards the bottom of the page).

Interestingly modellable.

Edited by Porcy Mane

Here's how I did my HEAs

attachicon.gif2015-10-08_08-26-53.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-10-08_08-27-04.jpg

Although I've not done droppers yet as they're intended to run as a fixed rake.

Cheers Mark

I hadn't thought about keeping it down the centre line of the wagon, my first thoughts were to like I've done on the 21t hoppers to go around the hopper shoots & anchor the wire somewhere off to one side. I think i'll try something like that on the next hoppers i do & also the Covhop if i do it.

Cheers

Chris 

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bit more progress with wagons; some weathered, some now lettered and three new ones built.

Four unfitted wagons; two LMS ones, an L&Y one (still to be weathered) and a GWR one.

post-9707-0-98915200-1447018168_thumb.jpg

LNER mineral, Ratio LMS 3 plank, GWR open and BR built ply sided van with planked door

post-9707-0-91433900-1447018244_thumb.jpg

I am quite chuffed with how the LMS steel sided van turned out

post-9707-0-20612000-1447018362_thumb.jpg

The BR van, close up. I added the rain strips and replaced the tie bars with L section brass

post-9707-0-79636000-1447018430_thumb.jpg

And finally, a BR built 13ton open

post-9707-0-54310400-1447018513_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Well hi Jason, where have you been this past month, you and Chris still basking in the glory I'll bet.

Love the wagons, nicely done but, a common misconception regarding buffers on BR vans - should be 1'6''  our B003 is the one.

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Time is of the essence at the moment Jock, so I do bits whenever I get chance. That's why I am getting on with wagons, as you can do them a bit at a time. Remove components from the sprues and clean them up one day, drill the holes for the brakes and buffers another, build the body and chassis, add weight, add all the brass braking bits, add the buffers, spray with undercoat, paint the underframes, paint the body, apply decals, weather the underframes and finally weather the body. Takes a while but at least I keep modelling and I am not rushing things which I reckon is the key to a half decent end result.

Sorry about the late rating response to your post of the 9th Jason, been a bit crook for a couple of days, but I like your plan! I'm scaling the bothy at Hurlford from a photograph (the counting bricks method!), to hopefully produce a card version and keep my hand in!

I had a play with my two week old fourth great grandchild today, but at least I could hand him back! I take my hat off to you for getting so involved,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• 2 weeks later...

'The Mill' had completely dropped off my radar, probably due to the old PC going capput, but more likely through my forgetfulness. Seeing as you like making mills, I could do with you having a working holiday in Wales to build Oswestry ha ha. Seriously though, the sight of your work has spurred me into considering building Oswestry or the building at Ellesmere instead of taking my usual lazy route of adapting ready-to-plonk items.

• Like 3