The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jason, I've got a sheet of those transfers but never been able to get on with them - just too fiddly; as far as I remember they're on a white or very pale backing paper which makes it almost impossible to see the characters in the first place, and mine don't seem to have much 'stick'.  Although I never had any problems with the 'Big 4' Methfix wagon transfers, when I used to model that era.

Anyway, if you can make all those mill windows from micro strip I'm sure you'll manage a few wagon numbers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Modelling time is really reduced at the moment, gone are the days of having a clear four or five hours to really get stuck in, replaced with the odd half hour here and there. Conversely, it does mean that I am taking my time with what I can do. I've never been one to rush because patience pays dividends (many a model is ruined because people are so eager to see the finished item).

So with my reduced time, I have been getting on with what I enjoy most, wagon kits. Nearing completion is this L&Y van, built from a MAJ kit of some vintage but up there with it's modern counterparts in terms of quality of the mouldings. You do need to cut the floor and roof to length, add handrails and make the roof door but that is hardly difficult. The brake levers are a bit crude; I thought I had a set of etched Ambis curved ones but it seems not so when I get hold of some, I will replace the plastic ones. Safety loops are again staples, the rear of them glued into holes drilled into the floor to keep them securely located.

So, 'all' that remains is to neaten up the joins at the sides & ends, build the roof doors, add couplings, paint and weather; the brake lever can be replaced retrospectively. And yes, they did survive into the 50's.

post-9707-0-07796200-1443598499_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-19212600-1443598590_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Now I imagine that a good many of you are sick of hearing about bloody wagons

Nope, not me, keep them coming. Making me slightly jealous as I'm itching to get on with some wagon building for my next project, but have a few other things I need to get finished first.

Wagons are looking great, don't forget a spot of white paint on the end of those brake levers.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason. Not sick of wagons at all mate! How did you get on with those Cambrian vans and the NE mineral. I have found removing the location pips from the tops of the sole bars helps. They need a little more attention when it comes to getting the axles dead level but much variety can had to a rake of vans with these kits.

I hope the pampers aren't piling up too high.   :mosking:

Regards Shaun.

Wagon building is a theraputic means of soothing the muse.

The more you do, the more that it gives.

And as you improve, so the muse is not just soothed. Indeed, it is stimulated...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cambrian kits are definitely growing on me, mainly because of the variety of wagons in the range. Not so keen on the solebar system as it is a pain to get them square. The steel bodied van has had a bit of surgery as although I thought it was square it wasn't, so I removed the offending bearing, opened up the hole, inserted a slither of Plastikard and then glued the bearing back in, which seems to have cured it. The brakes are a bit chunky too but luckily, I have loads of spare Parkside ones as I never throw unused bits away.

On the vast majority of wagons, I've used Lanarkshire buffers; the L&Y van came with turned buffer heads though, so I stuck with them (plus, I don't think Dave does L&Y buffers...).

I do have a few more in progress, including a 7 plank fixed ends mineral and a couple of Ratio vans (LMS & SR). At some point, I need to tackle the etched brass hopper wagon that Paul gave me too (one of these: https://www.rcts.org.uk/photographs/archive/380/SUT/SUT0020.jpg)

• Like 4

Evening Jason,

Superb wagon workmanship as we've come to expect from you! I need lots of 16T wagons and so I'd appreciate your opinion of the Parkside ones. I am on a tight budget so wonder if you see them as value for money, or for volume, do I stick to the old Airfix/Dapol ones with modified hinges and brake gear?

Look forward to the next set of images

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock,

The Parkside kits are around £7 each, and you will also need paints, transfers, couplings and of course time. They work out cheaper than Bachmann ones and are bette quality than the Airfix ones. For me, the enjoyment comes from building and painting them, rather than just opening a box and having the same as everyone else.

Most Parkside kits are a joy to build.

Thanks Jason for the prompt reply,

Obviously I shall buy a couple and practice! I've got a couple of the old Airfix ones from years ago but they could be chopped around a bit and used as open doored static items inside the planned coaling stage.

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS hope you are getting some sleep at night by now!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock,

The Parkside kits are around £7 each, and you will also need paints, transfers, couplings and of course time. They work out cheaper than Bachmann ones and are bette quality than the Airfix ones. For me, the enjoyment comes from building and painting them, rather than just opening a box and having the same as everyone else.

Most Parkside kits are a joy to build.

One further benefit to using parkside or Cambrian kits is the ability to model the various varieties of 16T minerals.

Parkside produce four such wagons.. The PC21 kit represents the most numerous variety, BR unfitted with welded body, side doors, small top side doors and end doors which is the same as the airfix kit ( I'm on dangerous ground here, there are folk who live and breath 16t minerals).

In addition to that they produce less numerous BR unfitted rivetted version and the French type with no end doors and cupboard style side doors as well as the sloped side variety ( there is always a slope sided wagon sticking out half way down a coal train ) They produce the later fitted version with longer wheel base - this is less relevant to the long coal trains of the 50's and60's if that is what you are modelling

Cambrian produce an ex lms version that has side and end doors but no small top doors and I think a choice of pressed or welded end door, Cambrian also produce a rivitted ex LNER variety with pressed end door.

On the issue of cost, if you choose to make kits then you can pace your purchases to meet your rate of production, so buy 5 models this month and set about making them, before you know it, a month will have passed and you can buy 5 more and so on. If you buy RTR there is a sort of requirement to buy the whole lot in one go as the only constraint is your wallet.

If you are modelling the 1950's a coal train should include 13t wooden bodied mineral wagons as well again plenty of them from parkside and Cambrian.

There is a RMweb 16T mineral thread if you want to know more

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As Andy says, both the Parkside and Airfix represent the most numerous diagram 1/108 wagons. The main error with the Airfix is that it has too many brakes; they should only be on one side, not both as modelled. The horrible over sized hinge on the doors is easily replaced with some strip and rod; with care it can be virtually indistinguishable from a Parkside.

I'd steer clear of the Parkside fitted kit, it has a 10' wheelbase whereas the majority of fitted 16 tonners were 9'.

Also worth mentioning the Red Panda clasp braked underframe, which can be shortened to fit the Parkside (or Airfix) kit to add further variety.

If brass is your thing, well worth having a look at the Rumney Models underframe kits; works of art.

• RMweb Gold

As Andy says, both the Parkside and Airfix represent the most numerous diagram 1/108 wagons. The main error with the Airfix is that it has too many brakes; they should only be on one side, not both as modelled. The horrible over sized hinge on the doors is easily replaced with some strip and rod; with care it can be virtually indistinguishable from a Parkside.

Just as well as I have something of a stockpile of them stashed away having been bought up from various shops when Airfiix's impending demise was announced.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ive built a few of the Parkside wagons and can only echo Jason's comments.

Additionally there was a series in Railway Modeller a few years ago about modifying the Airfix mineral wagon into several different variations. Can't remember which year / issues, but will have a look.

• RMweb Gold

Just as well as I have something of a stockpile of them stashed away having been bought up from various shops when Airfiix's impending demise was announced.

My long coal train has about 10 Airfix which were bought in job lots for about £1 each. Add new wheels and couplings, paint, transfers, plastic and metal offcuts and a lump of coal for customising brought the cost up to about £40 for 10.. They wouldn't pass the purists but mixed with rivetted, slope, pressed doors, cupboard doors and 7-planks they look OK and I had a lot of pleasure out of dealing with them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ive built a few of the Parkside wagons and can only echo Jason's comments.

Additionally there was a series in Railway Modeller a few years ago about modifying the Airfix mineral wagon into several different variations. Can't remember which year / issues, but will have a look.

The easiest modification is turning the the 1/108 into the variant without top doors, they are very easy to carve the detail off and then a suitable strip of strut to extend the turned over perimeter top.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My long coal train has about 10 Airfix which were bought in job lots for about £1 each. Add new wheels and couplings, paint, transfers, plastic and metal offcuts and a lump of coal for customising brought the cost up to about £40 for 10.. They wouldn't pass the purists but mixed with rivetted, slope, pressed doors, cupboard doors and 7-planks they look OK and I had a lot of pleasure out of dealing with them.

When I get round to putting them together (which means I first need somewhere to store the finished articles) I think they'll be in a significant majority as I bought over 50 kits (sorry Mineral wagon kits) at 'an advantageous price'

• Like 2

The Airfix/Dapol 16 tonners really do titivate up well. Thin the sides and a new plasticard floor so the sides prototypically bow out at the centre instead of in as on the model and the jobs a goodun.

post-508-0-91330200-1444262528.jpg

P

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

When I get round to putting them together (which means I first need somewhere to store the finished articles) I think they'll be in a significant majority as I bought over 50 kits (sorry Mineral wagon kits) at 'an advantageous price'

I would have thought 50 made up wagons would take up less space than 50 air fix boxes?

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought 50 made up wagons would take up less space than 50 air fix boxes?

Andy

Although be careful of Forrest's first rule of railway modelling which dicates that every kit you build needs to be replaced by two new ones stashed away in the "unbuilt kits" box.

• Like 2