The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Great move adding the sloping road Jason it helps you imagine that the ground by the drops has all been built up.

Out of interest would a mill like this have any need for any sort of water tower? Would one fit in the back right hand side corner?? Built in steel (rusty of course) it would add an interesting contrast to all the stonework.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris. The sloping road definitely helps as without it, the tall shed looked contrived and as you say, it does suggest that the site is built into the contours of the hill.

The tower will eventually have a water tank added to the top, the question being whether it should be a shallow one that fits the full dimensions of the tower or a half / three quarter width one with the remaining part being walled in and having access from the tower, and a ladder up the tank side. The latter is my favoured option as otherwise, how would they have access to maintain it? Maybe I give these things too much thought.

• Like 5

Guest bri.s

Some lovely modelling ,look forward to the tower with the water tank on the top

I think I've seen pics (can't remember where though) of towers with either the name of the mill owners on the water tank or on the tower

Just wondering have you a name for the mill or owners of it

Sorry if you've already said

Thanks

Brian

• RMweb Premium

A thought for the top of the mill tower, namely the section without the tank. I was wondering whether to use iron railings and stone corners rather than a wall round the whole thing. Thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

Just looked at Dalton Mills on Dalton Lane in Keighley with Google Streetview, there are decorative railings on one of the towers on the central (larger) wing of the mill. Lovely building by the way, fire up Google and have a look. They are currently renovating it (post the Google car passing).

I may drive past it on the way home and get some photos :)

• RMweb Gold

I've just looked at Dalton Mill as you recommended. It is a lovely building as you say. My only query re the ornate railings would be that they seem to go with the ornate cupola type structures of Dalton Mill. Would you be adding in such structures? If not, will they still fit? I suspect they will, but have to say I'm not sure until I see it, but they'd be quite some work if they don't look right.

The climbing road, by the way, is a piece of genius. It makes a huge change to the whole scene putting it fully into the imagined surrounding landscape with it's varied contours.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

The difference is that you are seeing the back of this mill rather than the more decorative road / front side. The railings though, would be visible from all sides.

That is what I keep telling myself anyway :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jason, my immediate reaction is that the tank looks too shallow on that tower. They probably would have considered water capacity over aesthetics in real life but at the moment you have a small cherry on a big bun ;-p

(View offered with constructive not critical intentions)

Edit: Ignore my deranged nonsense folks - photos prove that 5' high tanks were the norm.

Edited by 2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

I see what you mean Chris but the tank measures the scale equivalent of 30' x 20' x 5'. My brain isn't working yet but I imagine that calculates out at quite a lot of gallons of capacity and quite a lot of weight and pressure. It also looks about the correct dimensions compared to a few photos of real tanks I've found on good old Google. There are also a lot of reservoirs on high ground in East Lancashire and West Riding so would it be considered more as a header tank as there would be no great need to pump gallons and gallons of water up to it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I agreed with Chris, so I've done a quick and dirty photoshoppery to see what it would look like if the tank was half as high again:

post-17302-0-51876600-1431850733_thumb.jpg

I dunno... think it looks a bit heavy, as you said.

What do you reckon?

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The tower is 85' tall; this is no piddly building we are talking about here. Build the tank to look in what people think is in proportion and as a stand alone feature it would be too large and structurally unsound for the volume of water it would hold.

In other words, my opinion is that it is totally wrong to build it in 'proportion'