The Mill

• RMweb Premium

If you can square it with SWMBO, I'll be there. Mind you, I would to negotiate the Devon leafy lanes to get there, could be tricky.

If you use the cart track to Launceston you can then use the A30 (dual carriageway) & the M5 (3 lane motorway) to get through Devon, there shouldn't be too many leaves about yet and I don't think we've erected a border post yet to extract money from you for the privilege of entering Devon.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, Jason. (and Sophia).   As usual I am several days/weeks behind everyone else, but the good wishes are, nevertheless, sincere.

Almost as soon as my grandson was born, my son gave me a loco kit to build for him.  Fortunately the young lad is keen on railways, and has quite a collection, and, of course, will get all my stuff when, eventually, I fall off my perch.

All my four older grand daughters loved to run Canal Road when they were small.  The two younger grand daughters will, no doubt, want to "play with" Kirkby Malham.

Derek

• Like 2

Hi Jason and Chris,

Just wanted to wish you both good luck at the forthcoming shows - yours is a totally original layout and I'm certain it will get the praise that all the hard work deserves. Sad that I'm unable to travel but hope you might post some pics on here!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Morning all....

Right, it was my intention to get the RSH tank built & running (not painted) in time for EM north. After only a month of one maybe two evenings a week & stealing the odd hour here & there on my days off when Ruths been out with the kids to work on it this is where i've got up to...........

post-19016-0-95042300-1441707383_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-01874600-1441707370_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-79207400-1441707397_thumb.jpg

.......also a weeks holiday in Scotland got in the way of getting much done.

I've managed to slot the ZEN decoder in a convenient void in the chassis, what would be the steam chest on the real thing. The wires from the decoder for the current collection are routed through the front spacer to the front pickup connection/mount which is a small piece of PCB discreetly glued to the inside of the frames in line with the back of the wheel tyre, this is linked to the rear pickups (mounted the same as the front) with a thin length of multicore wire. The wires to the motor very nicely run up through a small slot in the cylinder assembly & in though the front of the boiler bottom. The front pickups are the 'back scratcher' type & the rear due to clearance with the gearbox i've used a length of copper beryllium wire bent to give a lightly sprung wiper acting on the back of the tyre.

I'll try & take a clearer photo of the chassis showing better how i've done the above.

I just need to fit the buffers, AJs & do the cab roof & its ready for this weekend.

There are a few wagons i'd like to get AJs fitted to also..............a busy week ahead.

See you ALL at EM North & at Shipley the week after.....

Cheers

Chris 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Where does all the weight get added to the loco ? (I always think kit/scratch built locos look very strange from underneath, having been used to seeing the RTR versions with their solid chassis).

Nah, RTR look a bit pants when you can't see through. 

The loco looks brilliant Chris, looking forward to seeing it running perfectly at the weekend  :O  No pressure.

• RMweb Premium

Weight goes wherever you can cram it, e.g. In the saddle tank sides, coal bunkers, etc.

As Paul says, the solid lumps used for RTR chassis can ruin the looks of locos if what should be a void is filled. RTR chassis, through their necessity to get through trainset track and the like are sloppy, horrible compromised things whereas a well built etched chassis (as is the case here) can be built with much finer tolerances and as such, run smoother than RTR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or you could go further and design an even better chassis as Mike has done here - 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96070-o14-chassis-for-a-wrighlines-baldwin-4-6-0/

The kit had half etched frames to represent the bar frames of the real thing.

• Like 2

Where does all the weight get added to the loco ? (I always think kit/scratch built locos look very strange from underneath, having been used to seeing the RTR versions with their solid chassis).

I've not added any extra weight to this yet. The sum of its parts fully assembled is quite a fair weight, more than enough to carry out its duties on The Mill. I will however add some additional weight to it before it goes for paint.

The way ive added weight to the Nielson was to rather crudely squirt super glue in the checks of the tank & then fill with lead shot/liquid lead, let it dry tip out any loose lead & repeat a couple of times for each side. Also filled the coal bunkers with small pieces of lead sheet glued in place with the coal on top to hid it.

Again the Nielson was a fair weight once fully assembled, but now with the additional weight it'll have no trouble pulling the skin of a rice pudding.......... :locomotive:

Chris

• Like 4

Morning all......

Here it is done, well as done as its going to get for EM north at the weekend & Shipley the following weekend. All that is left to add are the draincocks, the lubricating points on the cylinders, a lubricator that lives on the smokebox front (didn't add this due to the casting looking bad/damaged) & adding the detailed back head that will need adding once painted. 

post-19016-0-37203000-1441877772_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-56005100-1441877786_thumb.jpg

I must admit to having a good little running session with it on the layout last night just to check the AJs are working well & it gave me a chance to check all is working on the layout, it is. I've moved the position of one of the electro mag-nets for the AJs that lived between the lefthand turnout at the bridge & the slip. At the Goathland show neither Jason or myself used it so it now lives attached underneath at the exit end of the sector-plate allowing you to propel wagons on to the Mill road & leave them under the lucams or to run round.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all......

Here it is done, well as done as its going to get for EM north at the weekend & Shipley the following weekend. All that is left to add are the draincocks, the lubricating points on the cylinders, a lubricator that lives on the smokebox front (didn't add this due to the casting looking bad/damaged) & adding the detailed back head that will need adding once painted. 

attachicon.gifRSH1.JPG

attachicon.gifRSH2.jpg

I must admit to having a good little running session with it on the layout last night just to check the AJs are working well & it gave me a chance to check all is working on the layout, it is. I've moved the position of one of the electro mag-nets for the AJs that lived between the lefthand turnout at the bridge & the slip. At the Goathland show neither Jason or myself used it so it now lives attached underneath at the exit end of the sector-plate allowing you to propel wagons on to the Mill road & leave them under the lucams or to run round.

Cheers

Chris

"great modelling"

• Like 1