The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Chris and I had another session on the layout last night, progressing with the wiring to the point where the turnouts are now wired (via a Switch- 8) and the track is powered. We still need to add the Frog Juicers to the diamond and lay the two remaining sidings (coal drops and loading shed), as well as the sector plate for the FY but we giggled like school kids as Chris's Neilson jumped into life and traversed the track (including the diamond, powered via holding a bit of wire to the relevant frog).

Millprogresses011_zps4478d358.jpg

Hi Jason

I thought I was the only modeller who labeled his wires in the fashion you have. I don't understand how people can sort out their wiring without the wires being identified. My habit of labeling my wiring comes from working for Marconi's where I had to check the cable forms (wiring looms) for some big telecommunication equipment, up to 2000 wires each and they were all pink.  

The stuff above the baseboards looks good as well. 

Happy New Year. 

• RMweb Premium

There aren't that many wires but with all the turnout and power bus ones being the same colours and many of them heading for the Switch-8, it made sense. Those used for the electro-magnets will be different colours; we need to buy the push-to-make switches or those yet.

When I saw the photo you had quoted, I half expected a question about the other instructions in the shot (reference to drills, an in-joke).

Oh, and Happy New Year to you too (and everyone else). I'm sure our paths will cross this year at some exhibition or other :)

• Like 2

Hi Mate, that Mill is so impressive, and the track plan so simple, I bet it will be fun to shunt, I'm looking forward to seeing at a Show somewhere and having a little Play like I did on BCB earlier this year, (or last year if you read this tomorrow). 

And as for you being DRUNK surly not, hahhaha

Happy New Year to you and Sofia.

and looking forward to you visiting Bitton Towers in early 2015.

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to coming down mate and at the rate you are progressing, I might have to bring a ton of stock down too (I might even bring The Mill down too, if I can fit it in the car).

I was awake early today and then later on, Sofia went out so I have had chance to get even more done. No photos but today's progress included the first lick of paint on all those lintels &sills, followed by a coat of Bauxite on the three vans and most of the way through a Cambrian Kits LMS five plank. I have to say, compared to Parkside kits, they are awful to build and a bit chunky.

Hi Jason,

As promised I have had a nice browse through 'The Mill' and I am envious of your multi-talented skills, top quality modelling there mate, I especially like the building work in progress and your choice of mounting card over plasticard for said Mill is a good one for the reasons stated. I used to use mounting card for many years and had some excellent results with it, I have now moved onto Perspex for the basic shell which does retain stability 100%.

The Mill looks stunning already and I have learned a new word into the bargain but temporarily forgotten it till I go back a page or so! I presume its the correct term for the loading dock platforms which I assume have a hoist at the top. 

I did not know you were in the Shiply MRS, I usually make it to most of their shows but missed LAST years unfortunately. I'll look out for you this year if I can make it.

All the best for 2015.

Glad to see your still modelling mills! Will watch with interest. Not been around much lately as trying to get the house finished so I can get on with some serious modelling myself. So somehow missed this. Looks promising... 

• RMweb Premium

A question for you all now.....

The left hand side of the layout, to the left of the coal drops, is an area where the boiler house, engine house and chimney are supposed to be located, with the drops being sited there to feed the boilers. I have been looking at various photos tonight in books and online and for a mill of this size, the boiler and engine houses are pretty large and, as depicted with our layout, sometimes not integral with the main mill building itself.

However, if I try to add a chimney at the front left, this reduces the area where the (albeit low relief) boiler house will be so do I lose the chimney to enable a decent sized boiler/engine house to be depicted or keep the chimney and compromise the boiler room?

I am thinking the latter, Chris the former. What do you guys think?

The left hand side of the layout, to the left of the coal drops, is an area where the boiler house, engine house and chimney are supposed to be located, with the drops being sited there to feed the boilers. I have been looking at various photos tonight in boos and online and for a mill of this size, the boiler and engine houses are pretty large and, as depicted with our layout, sometimes not integral with the main mill building itself.

However, if I try to add a chimney at the front left, this reduces the area where the (albeit low relief) boiler house will be so do I lose the chimney to enable a decent sized boiler/engine house to be depicted or keep the chimney and compromise the boiler room?

I like Chimneys, as you cant go longer due to the competition rules, I say go up, big and one Fred Dibnah would be proud of.

• RMweb Premium

May I add that we *might* have already been discussing building other boards for future use ;)

There is a row of terraced house backs and outhouses that I feel compelled to model at some point, with a really grubby looking concessionary path along the back of them. I also have a photo of an industrial railway on an embankment backing onto houses of this type that just cries out to be depicted, even if it is just 5' of unloved single track with no operational interest.

• Like 6

The left hand side of the layout, to the left of the coal drops, is an area where the boiler house, engine house and chimney are supposed to be located, with the drops being sited there to feed the boilers. I have been looking at various photos tonight in books and online and for a mill of this size, the boiler and engine houses are pretty large and, as depicted with our layout, sometimes not integral with the main mill building itself.

Personally I have to agree with Andy. Keep the chimney but compromise the boiler room as little as possible.

Eyup

I think the chimney given its location would frame the scene very nicely but given that it's Jason who is building the buildings I'm very happy for it to go to make more room for the mill engine room/boiler house.

I've other problems to be getting on with, like sector plate connections, electro mag-nets & AJ couplings. Also I need to start building some earlier period rolling stock, can't expect Jason to do it all.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you organise it so that when you extend the layout later the chimney is on the next board that should be OK for both of you. Do remember that the chimney itself could be some distance from the boiler house to give a good draw of the fire. I remember running up a flue that went up the side of a valley(long ago and far away in Cornwall) but such things also happened in Lancashire.... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With a mill as large as this, would there be two, smaller boiler houses, one at each end. This would also effect a symmetrical look.

The part of the mill that is modelled would class as quite small compared to a lot of the mills that were round here; it would be a mere annex of Salt's Mill (the famous one in Saltaire) for instance, and that has just the one boiler house.

Maybe I am thinking about it too much and assuming that many spectators will have the same nerdy books on mills that I do whereas the majority will just look and see big chimney, big mill, trains, check. Maybe I'll make a couple of boiler houses and for this shortened layout, just use the chimney off Bacup's large mill (or not, as the case may be) and have done with.

Cheers,

J.

• RMweb Gold

Jason,

make a couple of mock ups out of paper seleotape etc. of the big chimney and the boiler house and see what looks best. Then build a proper one of your choice. Sometimes in modelling making an attractive view is better than worrying about what it should be . This has a good pedigree Constable, Peter Denny ...

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Boiler houses and chimneys aside, I've been weathering in the lintels and sills, and then touching up the paintwork on the edges of the window recesses (where the plastikard is thinned to bend it through 90 degrees, it leaves a white mark on the outer side due to the material being stressed). With almost 100 windows & doors, this hasn't been a quick and easy task, especially as the mill itself is getting on for 4' long but I am happy to say that it is now done and I can get on with the next task, adding the windows.

All this is done in a particular order which if not followed, can make later steps all the more difficult. That includes painting the Plastikard before glueing it to the model because if you glue it on unpainted and then bend in window recesses, etc., it is an evil task to try and paint them consistent to the overall colouring of the rest of the building.

If you don't think it looks much different to how it did before, go back a page and see the white lintels (or earlier on the same page, no lintels - the white card is showing through the holes)

To break up the monotony, I also added the frog juicers to the diamond crossing and added the loading shed siding, followed by a good half hour propelling strings of wagons through the slip and diamond, thankfully without a hitch (although one wagon does appear to have an egg shaped wheel). I also slapped a first coat of roof grey on the vans (a thin coat, as you can probably see).

Millprogresses022_zpsc035dc99.jpg

Millprogresses026_zps043a42fe.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Microstrip for this building. I did think about York Modelmaking or Brassmasters ones but the former would have cost well in excess of £100 and the latter didn't have the style I wanted (no way was I going to do that many arched windows). It is going to be a massive task to do them all, especially given the length of the building (need to trim the Microstrip at right angles to ensure a neat cut and it will mean a long stretch for some of them) but I will do it over a few weeks rather than tackle them all at once.

For the other buildings, I will be using a combination of York Modelmaking and Brassmasters ones for the loading shed (lower floor with large rectangular and upper with Brassmasters arched windows) and YMM ones for the boiler room and engine house, as the examples I have seen tend to have large arched windows to let light in.

Doors will be scribed Plastikard, the ones on the loading shed being depicted as sliding doors with the front ones obviously open and the rear ones closed (for now ;) ).

Painting and weathering the mill building has been a bit of a labour of love and hopefully it has enough variety in the colouring rather than just being overall sooty black coloured. Doing the window recesses is something I know many people don't bother with but after doing it on all the later builds on Bacup (some of the earlier built terraced houses don't have it), I felt like I needed to on this, especially as it will be under close scrutiny at exhibitions and with the layout being so small, my feeling is that more effort needs to be put into each aspect to make it stand out from the crowd although I suppose such a huge structure on a small layout already does that.

Out of interest, is anyone aware of any other entries to the competition? I am sure there will be but I haven't seen or heard anything.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I will admit that I sourced windows from  tichytraingroup   before building The West Riding Textile Mill for "Grim Up North". Scratch building windows from micro strip is enough to drive the most patient person batty! So good luck with that mate, seriously!

Taking the miter courses around the window recesses  was well worth the time spent, when there's just a few you can get away with it but when there's well over 100 it kind of sticks out!

I shouldn't worry about any competition  if I were you, I think you're going to walk away with it!!

Regards Shaun 

Edit; typos!    

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1