Thorburn's

themagicspanner

Thorburn's got a visitor yesterday. A mainline Class 56 picked up in Harburn Hobbies for £30. A surprisingly nice model although I'm not sure about the conversion to P4 - Ultrascale might be the only real option. If nothing else it'll be a good detailing project and it can always end up on mum and dad's garden railway.

2014-10-26093957_zps839229be.jpg

2014-10-26094004_zpscde3609c.jpg

2014-10-26094049_zpsa9ebf823.jpg

2014-10-26094023_zps4f4990e4.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

That reminds me I have an old Mainline 56 somewhere which I'd been considering re-gauging, along with a load of Shawplan bits I was going to throw at it.  IIRC they are on standard 2mm axles so Black Beetle or Keen Maygib wheels might be an option.  Would just need to remove the gears from the old wheels to reuse; think there is an EMGS manual sheet which covers these (applicable to both EM and P4).  There's certainly plenty of room between the bogie sideframes.

Managed to find a couple of hours today to have a shot a making and fitting some AJs. I had built the jigs quite a while ago but had never been too inclined to build the couplings.

I've not added the magnetic dropper yet so I can only couple up but they do appear to be working quite well.

Here's a wee video of them in action.

http://vimeo.com/110471341

Mike

• Like 2

Good video - excellent slow speed running.

The AJs look very neat. I've always used KDees which I think look ok on modern stock but those AJs are very unobtrusive, 

Are you keeping the 56 in the grey livery or giving it a re-spray?

Out of curiosity I checked and it carried that livery around 1988-9. Might have received it as early as 87 as it was one of the first, of the later (Gateshead) batch, to loose the large logo livery.

Now what this layout needs is a railfreight liveried Class 26 :good:

Cheers

Alan  

• Like 2

Not sure what I'm going to do with the 56. It'll need a respray once I've done the detailing and what have you. I quite like the Railfreight grey so I'll probably go with that.

I've got a 26 but it's a Dutch one. A Railfreight one is on my list...

Maid a fair bit of progress tonight.

2014-10-30180531_zpsfc808b6d.jpg

2014-10-30215714_zps6754e03d.jpg

The old granary is starting to take shape.

2014-10-30215727_zps5f7eddf5.jpg

2014-10-30215735_zps12edad43.jpg

The steel rack is coming along.

• Like 7

Thanks Neil,

On reflection I'm pretty happy with the way the sheds are looking but not that happy with the weight of the steel rack. I think I'll have another shot at that. Maybe building it from brass would be a better option so that I can get better fine detail.

The Granary looks quite nice and I'm happy with the way that it takes up space but I'm disappointed with the finish I'm getting after painting the card. Some of the definition has gone and one part in particular has gone fuzzy. Hmmm, that'll be too much water.

The best option might be to either have another shot on the half that I didn't paint last night and see if I can sort it out, or roll out a slab of DAS and try working with that.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

The corrugated buildings look great. Nice weathering and rusting.

I have to be honest and agree with you comments that the rack does not look right. The sections do seem to be too thick and heavy. Smaller sections make work or as you suggest soldered from brass will make a better looking structure and certainly stronger than plastic.

I've not had much experience with painting card, but the DAS / tile grout method works well. Just takes a while to carve, but does take acrylic paint very well. I've also seen artist oil paints used very well, using plenty of turps to stain the stone work, rather than painting.

Richard

Thanks guys.

In an attempt to not waste the work I'd already done on the granary I decided to re-scribe a section and then smear DAS into the gaps. It looks much better than it did.

2014-11-01163656_zps64cf8a5c.jpg

2014-11-01163924_zpsfd893993.jpg

Still going to try the DAS scribing though, so I've made a nice block of it to try out some techniques on.

I've also spent a small fortune on brass sections today so I may have a go at re-doing the steel rack.

Mike

• Like 6

And not far from the Jim Clark museum which I've visited several times!

Great work as usual Mike. I've just realised that most of the points in the MPD that I hope to model one day, were operated by adjacent levers and not rodding- can you tell me where you sourced yours and the rough cost please?

Thank you and kind regards,

Jock.

Good to hear from you Jock, and always nice to know that there are folk out there who have been to Duns!

Jim Clarke is a hero to the town and the surrounding area. By all accounts a great man as well as a great driver.

The levers I'm using are very nice etched brass ones from the Shire Scenes range, available from Dart Castings. £3 for four levers. http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S50.php

Mike

After a bit of a break, mainly spent waiting for the large slab of DAS to dry, I've finally managed to get on and start scribing the front of the granary.

2014-11-08195954_zpsa4a7c809.jpg

2014-11-08195945_zps57da4156.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the way it's looking so I think I'll ditch the card version and plough on with this one.

Mike

• Like 7