Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

I'd hope that with their own factory and the years of experience with metal casting that this particular problem won't occur.

Oxford Diecast have been producing diecast models for ten years or more and AFAIK there has been no contamination issues with any of their products.

• 3 weeks later...

When are we due another update on this project from Oxford Rail.....and do we know if they are exhibiting at Ally Pally in a few weeks, following from their appearance at Glasgow recently.

Edit...just checked the exhibitor list at Ally Pally....no Oxford Rail it seems. Why would they go all the way to Glasgow.....and not to Ally Pally in London.......very odd.?? Their choice I suppose.

Edited by 250BOB

I wonder how many people will complain about retail prices for the Radial Tank >£100.

There are people out there who still think engines shouldn't cost more than £50....

So the projected RRP is right in the same zone as an equivalent model from the existing players. Those of us who want to pay less (I am only interested in the mechanism, don't mind whose) will wait vulture like for the discounting that is surely going to arise with competitors bidding for sales on a class of 3 total obscurities. I really cannot imagine the market  is stronger for this prototype than for the competing BR std 4MT 4-6-0's for less money, going on sale before most folks had fully appreciated the cold financial breeze about to strike... 

Hi everyone.

Just read all 36 pages so far.  I have a interest in the Adams radial. 

In 2012 I had the privlidge to come over from Australia for three weeks. 3rd last day I visited the Bluebell Railway.

In due course I had a look at the engine shed. AND WHAT A SURPRISE I HAD !!!! For there was 488, a 4-4-2T tank engine that I have
looked at for years and years - 30+ years at least. I have a big poster on my wall of this green loco. Not sure where it came from, I think Granny.
Well there it was for me to touch.  The loco is of need of $$$$ time and effort to restore it again, but it is there undercover and
looking OK.

Now I find two manufacturers are doing the loco in OO I mainly model Australian HO scale but have several OO locos and do not mind adding to them.This Adams Radial fit the bil of childhood yearnings and that in itself influences me to get one, as preserved.  The poster dates 1975. Which model best represents that era? Oxford or Hornby? Will either represent the Adams as stored today? Is it the same? Do we know if the Hornby one  will have a NEM coupler socket ?

I ask of all you this as after reading all the posts so far, you all know a lot.

My layout : http://dth.railpage.org.au/trainroom/

My British layout plans: http://dth.railpage.org.au/woodburn/

More about my 2012 holiday, http://dth.railpage.org.au/me/wtrip2012/index.html  includes a photo of the poster.... some of you may be able to tell me what coach it is pulling ?

Regards,

David Head

Melbourne,Australia

edited post after a useful comment below.. clap clap.

Edited by dthead

• RMweb Gold

So the projected RRP is right in the same zone as an equivalent model from the existing players. Those of us who want to pay less (I am only interested in the mechanism, don't mind whose) will wait vulture like for the discounting that is surely going to arise with competitors bidding for sales on a class of 3 total obscurities. I really cannot imagine the market  is stronger for this prototype than for the competing BR std 4MT 4-6-0's for less money, going on sale before most folks had fully appreciated the cold financial breeze about to strike... 

I'm not sure the total obscurity argument holds up. Cute sells and small classes encourage buyers to "go for the set".

Kernow's Beattie Well tanks are a pretty close comparator and, by my reckoning, once the current runs are completed, the total number in circulation will be at least 5,000!

On the basis of r.r.p., (Oxford £99.95, Hornby £119.95) and assuming they don't change; Hornby's trade terms are such that retailers will probably be able to sell Oxford Radials for less than they can buy in the Hornby version.

The problem with the Hornby and Bachmann BR4 4-6-0s was not just that they duplicated each other but that it had already been a big selling model for nearly three decades with earlier versions from Mainline and Bachmann themselves, many of which (the latter at any rate) were still in good working order.

I still run one made up from a detailed Mainline body/tender and the final version of Bachmann's split chassis; the running quality is almost indistinguishable from my newer ones.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There are people out there who still think engines shouldn't cost more than £50....

Actually my Olton Hall didn't. Looks like the Radial is coming in at £99.95 . Seems reasonable to me for something that must have a fairly low slung motor and custom chassis. Not one for me but definitely support Oxford Rail all the way if it brings out more like it. Again it's all about value for money. I can see how a bespoke model like this would cost that much. Nor far off a Bachmann E4 at £93 discounted.

I'm not sure the total obscurity argument holds up. Cute sells and small classes encourage buyers to "go for the set".

Kernow's Beattie Well tanks are a pretty close comparator and, by my reckoning, once the current runs are completed, the total number in circulation will be at least 5,000!

On the basis of r.r.p., (Oxford £99.95, Hornby £119.95) ...

I feel you are illustrating the problem with two competing manufacturers. If sales of 5,000 are a realistic expectation for a model of this sort, and they can be sold for reasonably close to the RRP, then after the retailer profit is removed from the take at the till, there's enough cash to cover one research and development process, the manufacturing and distribution and tax burden, with a net profit for the business concerned. Spread that same take over two manufacturers...

• RMweb Gold

I feel you are illustrating the problem with two competing manufacturers. If sales of 5,000 are a realistic expectation for a model of this sort, and they can be sold for reasonably close to the RRP, then after the retailer profit is removed from the take at the till, there's enough cash to cover one research and development process, the manufacturing and distribution and tax burden, with a net profit for the business concerned. Spread that same take over two manufacturers...

Absolutely and, to be fair, the BWT sales have been spread over quite a long period though the Radials won't be confined to a single outlet which might speed up turnover.

However, where 5,000 used to be pretty much a standard production run for Hornby; these days 2,000 to 3,000 seems to be common. To me, that suggests both manufacturers can finish in the black, though it might take a while to do so.

Some will go for the Oxford version on price but there is undoubtedly a "Nothing-but-Hornby" constituency who won't be influenced by that. The big danger for Hornby will arise if Oxford's models hit the shops well ahead of theirs, receive rave reviews and are readily available. When added to the price differential, that would sway many would-be Radial owners who are, so far, undecided which to buy.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spet0114

Autocorrect strikes again?There's a line of thought - what would a 'Radical' loco be like?

Highly reactive and bad for the skin.

Autocorrect strikes again?

There's a line of thought - what woudl a 'Radical' loco be like? Refuse to oppress the working wagon by shunting it? Whistle offensively at the bourgeois first class carriages?

Free?

(Inspired by spet0114)

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Autocorrect strikes again?There's a line of thought - what woudl a 'Radical' loco be like? Refuse to oppress the working wagon by shunting it? Whistle offensively at the bourgeois first class carriages?

Based upon Orwell's aphorism that in an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act, it would be ultra-detailed, EM fine scale and live steam...

Edited by rockershovel

• 2 weeks later...

They reckoned on being able to show early samples of the Radial in April 2015. Still got a few days.

To pinch a phrase from the terraces:

It's all gone quiet over there, it's all gone quiet...

Test shots promised to be shown Q1 (gone) and then April (2 hours left).

It's a shame the new broom has contracted Hornby and Bachmann disease so soon...

Go on. Prove me wrong and update the website now. Quietly frankly last update on January 20 and nothing since doesn't bode well for what we all hoped was a serious player.

After initial fanfare, even DJM are not taking their website seriously and had to be pressured into putting something up on the Class 71 after Hornby did their blog. Before that the latest news was November 14 last year and there is still no updates about all the other models announced.

Or maybe things take a little longer than people think?

I don't recall OR saying the definitely will be showing samples in April mind you.

Not sure if people are impatient or.......

If longer... simple to just say so, isn't it? And before your self-imposed deadline that everyone is hanging on.

From the Oxford Rail Jan 20 website update:

"The development continues apace. We are seeing some first shots of the Adams and we are still on target for showing early samples in April. I have just left the factory and can confirm that all test systems are in place to my satisfaction. It will retail at £99.95 and ..."