Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Why should they let photos be taken by a bunch of amateurs for posting on the web, of rejected/old tooling samples painted in the correct colours? Very few folk have colour-true monitors, and what about the lighting of the samples? Posting such images on here would raise so much agro. Nobody would be able to tell if the colours were correct, and instead would be rabbiting on about misplaced rivets or mould lines.

That is true, it is also true for all the other manufacturers who have few inhibitions about showing their pilot models, livery samples etc. Indeed, one of the best arguments for sharing development models is exactly so they can get feedback on them and most modellers are mature enough to recognise what pilot and development models are. If Oxford do not want joe public photographing them then why not stick some decent shots on their website? Hornby are now showing shots of their development models and being very open, and other manufacturers have generally been happy to share CAD images and test models which creates a climate where it probably causes more negative comment not to make such images public.

. If Oxford do not want joe public photographing them then why not stick some decent shots on their website?

Because for one of the liveries they only got it on Friday and have sent it straight down to the Bluebell for the great unwashed to oggle it so they haven't had time - ffs its only a toy train!

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Because for one of the liveries they only got it on Friday and have sent it straight down to the Bluebell for the great unwashed to oggle it so they haven't had time - ffs its only a toy train!

Jon

Quite right - and full marks for respecting Oxford's wishes re photography.

But it's the era in which we live. We have become used to manufacturers releasing titbits of info and sneak shots of pre-pro models at various stages, so any opportunity now tends to be seen as a "right". Anyway, our leader has posted that official shots will appear very shortly, so problem solved.

• Like 5

We were exhibiting our Ventnor layout in the loco works at Sheffield Park and the guy bought the Radial tanks over for a peek and we managed to run the BR black one on just DC and it is a cracking model, very smooth runner, unfortunately he would not let us keep it for the rest of the day. This one and the LSWR 488 arrived on Friday so I understand as the first painted examples for inspection, I had to take my glasses off to take a closer look at the coupling rods, they are so fine both in size and detail, and the run outside of the connecting rods as per the prototype. Anyhow, P for Parker was there on Saturday taking photos so I expect that you will hear more from BRM. In view of other recent special models, it looked to me like a very good model and it will only by todays prices cost £99.

As for the prototype 488, a couple of Bluebell working members were saying that it's more likely that a replica Adams Radial will be made instead of trying to rebuild 488 because it has so much wrong with it.

• Like 1

Had a look at the 3 samples they had one tooling sample, one 488 and a BR version, they looked quite good, the hand rails need some work as they were not in alignment and were a bit wonky... The model in general looks very fine, and vey nice, livery on the 488 model looked very good..
 I Feel slightly disappointed no photos were allowed to be taken, plus it's free advertising for them...
Bluebell did share an image of the tooling on their FB page.
Which didn't have a no photo sign...

11010541_10153701774060967_2005398650203

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 5

Had a look at the 3 samples they had one tooling sample, one 488 and a BR version, they looked quite good, the hand rails need some work as they were not in alignment and were a bit wonky... The model in general looks very fine, and vey nice, livery on the 488 model looked very good..

I Feel slightly disappointed no photos were allowed to be taken, plus it's free advertising for them...

Bluebell did share an image of the tooling on their FB page.

Which didn't have a no photo sign...

11010541_10153701774060967_2005398650203

Regarding the note with the prototype, the combination shown definitely does not represent a specific member of the class! But that will undoubtedly change!

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stopping people taking photographs of a model on display is disappointing and counter productive. All they get (and have got) is complaints, and a bit of bad publicity. They would have been much better not to display it, or to let people take photos while captioned that they were for livery purposes only. Comparisons have been made to other manufacturers where they have not come out well.

Speaking personally, I'm willing to wait until the final models and make my judgement then. Hornby may swing it on the basis of their new coaches - especially if theres a good value "Lyme Billy train pack"....

007s.jpg

We had an excellent time at the Bluebell Railway model show this weekend and received lots of praise for the fine details and useful feedback on the forthcoming model.

In the end we had both the Engineering sample – picture attached and also first livery samples of all three models.

The livery samples arrived through customs as late as Friday afternoon before being driven up to me at the show on Saturday. On Sunday they were then handed over to one of our researches so they can be carefully checked for further development of the livery and cosmetic components. We’ll issue pictures as soon as we have those reviewed and know what items on them are being enhanced further.

Please can you be aware of the following:

·         The engineering sample was produced from pre Production tooling which will have undergone further modifications.

·         The sample has been approved and passed the running and electric tests perfectly. So the tooling has subsequently been finalised and moved to production state.

·         The sample has been handled extensively so may have marks and pieces missing!

·         We have asked the factory to make a jig for installing the handrails as this hand built sample shows them being bent as they are fitted along the boiler. The problem won’t appear in production versions.

·         Feedback from people viewing the models picked up on the fineness of coupling rods, the correct variations of tooling for each model and also the detail inside the cab. However please be aware the body of this engineering sample may include features which would not have appeared in real life in that combination – it is simply a test of how components assemble and how the engineering works.

·         The grey parts of the model are metal – demonstrating how we are using our die-casting experience to give the weight required to create tractive effort without traction tyres.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Phil Parker was able to get down to the Bluebell this weekend and he's captured some useful images (with the necessary permissions) and uploaded them to MREmag today.

http://mremag.com/index.php/news/125-oxfordeppics

Sorry I just had to click 'Funny' on that posting and so I now need to explain . . . .

A few weeks ago I posted that there had been a change of ownership of MRE and that Phil Parker and Simon Kohler were now directors of the company. There were a few comments on here from members who said that they didn't bother with looking at MRE as they got all their news from RMweb. My response was that on occasions MRE had been first with the news and this is a prime example as I was looking at Phil's photos whilst waiting for the breakfast kettle to boil, long before the photos appeared on RMweb (and that's not a criticism of Andy as I'm sure if he had been at the launch then he would have got the photos out just as quick)

• Like 2

Yup; Phil took the time and trouble to go down there. I was surprised no-one had posted a link before I got around to it but I felt it merited inclusion here too as, at present, they are the best images around.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yup; Phil took the time and trouble to go down there. I was surprised no-one had posted a link before I got around to it but I felt it merited inclusion here too as, at present, they are the best images around.

Thanks Andy - I would have posted a link earlier but unfortunately I ran out of time to read both MRE and RMweb before leaving and then when I arrived here, work got in the way until lunchtime ! !

• RMweb Gold

The EP does look good, finer than I expected to be honest. Anyone any idea what the apparent silver spring is in Phils first photo on MRE mag, centring spring? It's behind the footplate near the rear wheel of the front bogie.

Edited by PaulRhB