DEMU Showcase 2015, Burton-upon-Trent, 30-31 May 2015

Revolution Mike

He says, for those I know on previous threads who are after some, that he is on the way to producing 00 Schlieren bogies! They are designed but there is a bit of delay in production by his supplier, so no firm date, but hoping by the end of this year.

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure who Angus is but I have a feeling you meant me! Numbers at least normal if not up on previous years. We don't have the final sum yet.

Yes, it was a coup to get George and SKits. Kit built wagons is exactly the kind of thing that DEMU is trying to encourage so if we can't get you as members, we'll entice you with kits at our show! ;) I myself had 6 kits worth of bits from him! I'm trying to persuade him to come next year so watch this space.

It's worth mentioning that Colin Craig also has schlierens under development. I have a pair sitting here and very nice they are too. I'll be badgering him to release them as they ran under some of the boxes that were built for ARC.

Guy

grahame,

Forgive me but words like pedantic and nit-picker unswervingly spring to mind when reading your remarks on my posts!

However, you have excelled yourself with that last sentence pearl of wisdom: "A fact would be speaking for them and you obviously aren't".

Do try and keep up.

That sounds more like your insistance that the price was excessive. So sad that you need to bang on about it. And no need for you to think up another demeaning response  - I get the message the price wasn't to your liking.

G

Trying to make an objective comment as I know neither of you in person; this debate now seems irrelevant to the thread?

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure who Angus is but I have a feeling you meant me! Numbers at least normal if not up on previous years. We don't have the final sum yet.

Yes, it was a coup to get George and SKits. Kit built wagons is exactly the kind of thing that DEMU is trying to encourage so if we can't get you as members, we'll entice you with kits at our show! ;) I myself had 6 kits worth of bits from him! I'm trying to persuade him to come next year so watch this space.

It's worth mentioning that Colin Craig also has schlierens under development. I have a pair sitting here and very nice they are too. I'll be badgering him to release them as they ran under some of the boxes that were built for ARC.

Guy

Thanks Angus......whoops! Sorry.

Colin has been teasing with his Schlierens for quite a while now! But, he tried to put me off as he knew I was not an experienced brass bender or a skilled artisan on the finer arts of soldering. Whereas it would seem that George is going to produce a white metal version (for those of us with eight thumbs)? Have I got that right?

He has also ventured into 3D printing I see.

For what it's worth I thoroughly enjoyed DEMU - even though much of it was too modern for my diesel era - bring on the pre-tops blue and late BR green. That said, it is my personal preference; favourite had to be the enduring Wibdenshaw though.

I, being local, took advantage of using the two day ticket to its full and noted that the intersite bus service seemed to be quicker on Sunday - different route used, but I ciould equally see why that route would be very busy on the Saturday. I for one would sooner take a longer journey and be moving rather than sitting for ages waiting to turn right at a box junction - especially when some drivers seem to be oblivious to their meaning!

All in all a good show with quality layouts, for the most part behaving themselves. It seemed to me that the layouts operated 'with a purpose' as it were kept people's attention longer than the 'random move' approach.

Shhh, don't tell anyone - I even spotted a 'kettle' :yes:

Thanks to all at DEMU involved with the staging of showcase 2015.

Sorry to tell you , I took the Hull MRS EM layout "Chessington (Chalk Lane)"  in 2005 to DEMU and although the layout was dated 20th August 1968, I couldn't resist running on it,  Hornby's latest "kettle", the Q1 suitably re-gauged.

The layout it was bought for, "Brockley Green S.E.4. never did make it to Burton.

Therefore that particular loco didn't appear again until 2012, now converted back to 00, on my present layout "Meopham East Junction" in 2012. It was not alone, however, and I refer you to my website, the URL for it is below.

If you agree to join my gang, I could work you an extra bottle of milk, no promises!

• RMweb Premium

Last year with Tornado on New Bryford - it was quite funny to see people's heads turn when it whistled, with a "What's a steam loco doing in a D&E exhibition?" look on their face.

Now I have two sound fitted steam locos - 60163 & 62005.

Cheers,

Mick

Its not unusual to see steam locos running at Showcase. DEMU represents the post modernisation period so anything from 1955 onwards as part of a layout is fair game.

(just so long as they don't take over :nono: :beee: )

Pete

Hello all

Just to add my two pence worth we really enjoyed the weekend. A big thank you to every one for the organisation and running of the show. I enjoyed every minute of it

I think we were the smallest layout there (Tanners Hill) but with our position we were open at the rear and sometimes we had as many round the back as looking at the front.

it was great to talk to everyone and put a face to a few names and catch up with others.

We were well looked after catering wise (cups of tea etc) and the lunches were good especially the pie on Sunday which I did thank the Cook for.

As it has already been said it will take some beating to better that line up of layouts.

a job well done.

if you fancy some desert this weekend Don't forget Wrecrail

thanks Steve

Showcase was a fantastic show and my thanks to Guy and Mike for organising it and for everyone else who supported them in making it all happen. The quality of layouts was excellent along with the various modelling demos plenty to inspire. Glad to see so many enjoyed it from the comments on here and great to welcome new members and some returnees back to the society as well.

Looking forward to next year already.

Mark

I didn't make it, but I'm enjoying my membership,

I love the description ' for modellers of the post modernisation plan railway ' - I get it, but it'd be pure gobbledegook to the man on the street !

Did he not buy the advanced warranty package?

He thought he had but that also expired just as he left the building. I always feel so guilty doing such a thing to the likes of Martin, but it soon wears off! :angel:

May I personally and on behalf of all of my fellow SDEG crew extend my sincere thanks to Guy and Mike for inviting the SDEG and Hazelbank down to the DEMU Showcase exhibition in Burton this year. We all had an absolutely fabulous weekend and all thoroughly enjoyed every minute and aspect of the whole event. We, as Gridwatcher has already said, will be happy to return to the DEMU Showcase event as often as we are invited with many more of our 14+ very high quality layouts.

The other Scottish Diesel and Electric Group layouts which we will be happy to exhibit at DEMU in the years to come are all of the standard (and above in many cases) of that which we have set with Hazelbank. I personally am really looking forward to receiving an invitation to next year's event and doing it all again. Thanks Mike! Thanks Guy!

Moysie

Scottish Diesel & Electric Group (Treasurer)

sdeg.co.uk

post-24805-0-45399600-1433374671_thumb.jpg

Archived