DEMU Showcase 2015, Burton-upon-Trent, 30-31 May 2015

Revolution Mike

• RMweb Gold

DEMU would like to invite you to join us for a special, one-off 21st anniversary show on 30-31 May 2015 in Burton-upon-Trent.

In recognition that this is a slightly different event to normal, instead of focussing on layouts which have never been to DEMU's Showcase before, we have gone for a mix of "new" layouts and some favourites (as nominated by previous Showcase managers and members instrumental in setting up DEMU) from year's past:

• Blowers Green Wagon Repair Depot (7mm)
  • Calcutta Sidings (4mm P4)
  • Diesels in the Duchy (4mm EM)
  • Farkham (4mm OO)
  • Fence Houses (2mm FS) - running in diesel only mode
  • Hazelbank (4mm OO)
  • Kinmundy (4mm EM)
  • Loch Dour (4mm OO)
  • Pengwyn Crossing (4mm OO)
  • Stoney Lane Depot (2mm N) - final show
  • Tanners Hill (2mm N)
  • Tonbridge West Yard (4mm OO)
  • Warren Lane (4mm OO)
  • Welton Down (2mm FS)
  • Wibdenshaw (4mm EM)
  • Widnes Vine Yard (4mm OO)

Trade:

Some of you who know Burton Town Hall are probably wondering how we will fit in all the layouts (plus some more!) - the answer is there will be two venues:

Burton Town Hall, King Edward Place, Burton upon Trent, DE14 2EB.  Map
National Brewery Centre, Horninglow Street Burton upon Trent, DE14 1NG. Map
Map of both locations (see the gold stars) Map

Both venues are situated very close to the railway station in Burton upon Trent and are a 10-15 minute walk between each venue.
A free shuttle bus will run a circuit between the railway station - National Brewery Centre - Town Hall. There will be an open top Olympian on Saturday and a Routemaster on the Sunday.

Prices

Adults £12

DEMU members and children (U16) £9
Families £25 (2 adults and unlimited children)

All tickets are valid for the whole weekend and include free bus rides.

Cheers, Mike

• 4 months later...

Hello

The stewarding/security will be in very, very safe hands so be afraid, be very afraid.

Cheers

George 

.............. there will be two venues:

Burton Town Hall, King Edward Place, Burton upon Trent, DE14 2EB.  Map

National Brewery Centre, Horninglow Street Burton upon Trent, DE14 1NG. Map

Map of both locations (see the gold stars) Map

For visitor driving to the do, no-one seems to have mentioned that the Town Hall car park is currently a building site with next to no parking available so I would suggest heading for the Brewery Museum.

p.s. The "gold stars" have apparently faded away.

p.p.s. The Town Hall seems to be labelled as "BBC Radio Derby" for some reason.

• RMweb Premium

Hello

The stewarding/security will be in very, very safe hands so be afraid, be very afraid.

Who's that then?

Group 4?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Who's that then?

Group 4?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

Worse than that, would you feel safe with the Chuckle Brothers and Discopia of Market Do We Really Care providing the security?

Having siad that they let me be the doorman at Wecrail.....6th June, at  St Nicholas Church Hall, Rectory Lane, Little Bowden, Mkt Harborough, Leics. LE16 8AS

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93512-wrec-rail-111-little-bowden-leics-june-6-2015/

Hello

It is Group 4: Richard, Dave, John and George. Be we ever so humble.

Cheers

George

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Cheers

George

So called because that is the combined IQ.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Cheers

George

Hi George

Poor old Richard gets dragged into all your schemes.

Just a note. The town hall car park is permanently closed so the Brewery Centre car park is the better bet!

Thanks Andy, luckily a number of the streets surrounding the town hall and old car park have free parking.

HTH

Tom

Hello

Cheers

George

Bless you George for your obvious faith in this band of warriors but as the venue is in Burton-on-Trent, I cannot get the image of an intoxicating party in brewery out of my mind when looking at one of the names. I'm sure everything will work out just find and I am glad sorry I cannot be there.

Best of luck.

Hello

John we have done it before with no problems. Cruel but fair sums up our methods. The name to which you are alluding likes a glass or two of good ale but is not a massive imbiber these days. All things in moderation as they say. Shame you won't be able to make it old friend as it will be a fine show.

Cheers

George

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, luckily a number of the streets surrounding the town hall and old car park have free parking.

HTH

Tom

Yes but be aware that those spaces can quickly fill .The nearest pay car parks are below the station bridge.There is always plenty of room there. One part is next  to the Travelodge ( cheaper ) and the rest is Network Rail.

If you like exercise,the walk between the venues will give you that !

I believe a courtesy bus is operating ? For those of you unused to Burton,a one-way system is in place outside the Town Hall.You have to go "round the block" to drop off at the door.Railtravel is your easiest way with the Derbyshire Wayfarer if travelling within Derbyshire or from Sheffield.....£12 full fare or £6 for over 60's.

Nice to see a premier event on my doorstep once again.It's always a good show.

• RMweb Premium

I am one of the organisers of the 7mm Narrow Gauge show being held at Burton Town Hall a couple of weeks after DEMU. The letter I had from the Council explained that the large office block next to the Town Hall had been sold by the Council to Burton College and is being extended into part of the car park. This means that the usual entrance has been closed but there is still access to the car park from the side road and the Council still have 30 spaces (which will increase to 50 after the work is complete) as well as access to a further 30 spaces outside the Children's Centre at the other end of the car park (these are only available at weekends)

So the end result is that there should be 60 spaces this year and 80 when the work is complete but I guess this will all be taken by exhibitors and traders. Also remember that charges apply unless a permit is displayed - we were given some permits for our group but even so some fines were issued as the permit didn't show the date it was valid for!

As previously mentioned, roadside parking is available but you must check the restrictions although most of these only apply Monday to Friday as it's close to the Station.

The letter from the Council recommends the car parks mentioned by Ian above but again check where you park as it all seems to be one car park but the different coloured line markings indicate who the land belongs to and how much you pay. See below a report from our local spy . . . .

Been at work today on a shift where I park in Burton.

The grain warehouse car park is indeed split into two, part being the station overflow car park and the rest attached to the grain warehouse, which used to be Council offices, but is now a Travelodge.

Down the bottom of the car park, it's not marked, but all the spaces are marked in white paint and are railway ones.

Up by the grain warehouse itself, the spaces are marked. Railway part is marked out with white lines and clearly painted 'Railway Station Parking'. These are £4 per day.

The ones attached to the Grain Warehouse are marked in yellow paint and have 'Excel Parking Bays' written by them, Excel being the parking management company. They are £3 per day but also charges per hour for those staying shorter times.

If they catch you parking in the wrong bit with the wrong ticket, you'll get a fine!

Archived