DEMU Showcase 2015, Burton-upon-Trent, 30-31 May 2015

Revolution Mike

A great show, thanks. I thought the 2 venues worked well. Didn't get a ride on the bus,preffered the walk and frequent Ale stops! but all the passengers as they passed me near the station were really playing up to the crowds of shoppers. It had me in fits of laughter.  Did anyone see the steam engine. that whistled through the station? it had passed when I got to the station but did see a class 66 on an endless tank train starting from a signal stop the thing was opened up and looked like it was trying to shake itself to bits. Thanks again to all who arranged and participated in Showcase.

Spent the ahole day there, 10:30-17:00 cracking layouts as usual

Liked the vast 'nothingness' of calcutta sidings with its prototypical length trains

Wibdenshaw is great, liked the freight with the 'de-meshed' 08s in the consist!

Widnes seemed to have a few problems, beast was pulling his hair out (whats left of it!)

Good to catch up with a few members, 250bob, andyY, mick (newbryford), drs37038, swifty11, wolf27 and many more!

Picked a few bits and bobs up but managed to resist any big spends, thankfully the resprayed colas 60s on a stall had gone when i worked my way back round for the 2nd time

As for the 2 venue set up, didnt really work for me, the bus ride was pleasant enough but the long way round coming back along burton high st it felt like a 'freak show' with shoppers pointing and staring at a bus full of old men!!

Nice seeing you as well Jim! 

It was either you or Dave who persuaded me to buy those MSC grey containers from  Bachmann, glad you did now and a great buy!

Top day organised by DEMU, roll on next year!!  

• RMweb Premium

A big thanks to everyone involved in arranging Showcase.

I had a most enjoyable weekend helping to operate Stoney Lane Depot. Had I paid to get in I wouldn't have been disappointed - there was not one bad layout amongst them. I don't think I've ever been to a show were the quality of modelling was so consistently high.

I wish I could have spent longer watching trains but had some to operate!

Hazelbank was the star of the show in my eyes. A great layout with well modelled trains that kept moving!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

And yet for the hour plus over the day I spent in front of it, I never saw a light engine movement, just long trains...

John

Agreed. I almost went to fetch a suitable second hand combined volume from the second hand book stall so I could get busy with some serious train spotting on Calcutta Sidings.

A really super show and I for one have no grumbles at all (£1.80 for a sizable chip cob can't be bad - I wonder how much that would have cost at Warley).

No bundles or punch ups apart from the second hand stall which is only to be expected and overall a lovely calm atmosphere.  Perhaps the ticket price kept the uptight ones away (or they were concentrated around the second hand stall) who cares I had a great time. 

Can we have a celebraton show every year (EWS is 20 next year :( but 30 years since Trainload freight :) the year after)?

Well done everyone great job.

• RMweb Gold

Haha - we were talking about what to "celebrate" next - the choices seem to be Showcase itself starting (1996 we think? ie a couple of years after DEMU itself) or alternatively we just have to claim to be 21 each year :sungum:

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

A big 'thank you' from me to absolutely everybody involved in the weekend, whether organising, exhibiting or supporting.  I had a wonderful day out: it was marvellous to see so many seminal diesel and electric layouts in the line-up.  It would be really hard to single out favourites; however, the sight of full-length HST at speed, disappearing into the distance on 'Calcutta', was truly something to behold! 

- Just need to find the dusty box in which I left the modelling mojo  - suitably inspired again, at least I think I can remember where it is now!

Thanks again and best wishes,

Paul

I went on Saturday, after a faultless journey on Northern and then Cross-Country.

Absolutely brilliant show (my first at DEMU, and I am already a member) - many thanks

It was worth the fee just to see Tonbridge West Yard again, and to meet George at S-Kits - what a coup! - he certainly had plenty of my money that day. He says, for those I know on previous threads who are after some, that he is on the way to producing 00 Schlieren bogies! They are designed but there is a bit of delay in production by his supplier, so no firm date, but hoping by the end of this year. My prayers answered at least. He now has email, for those of you that have had trouble getting in touch - it is infoshrapnel@btinternet.com.

Just one matter that may be of interest to Mike, Angus and co - I overheard two traders talking to each other saying they thought numbers were down (mid-Sat afternoon), which clearly they weren't from the stats somewhere above. If you are not already doing so, perhaps you might want to let each trader know what the attendance was, compared to previous years.

Thanks again

Sounds like someone who is reluctant to pay for anything and wants everything free.

Unfortunately, you get those types at most shows - even when the admission is 25% of the DEMU Showcase price. The 'summat for nothing' brigade.

I went on Saturday, an excellent show with a range of inspirational and aspirational layouts.

I was particularly pleased to see Pengwynn Crossing as it was one of the factors that got me into "serious" modelling some 25 years ago.

Nick

Agreed. I almost went to fetch a suitable second hand combined volume from the second hand book stall so I could get busy with some serious train spotting on Calcutta Sidings.

Indeed. Didn't do any spotting, but the camera was busy. I don't think I saw a single light engine move during the time I spent there, and anyway aren't light loco moves part of the everyday scene anyway even today. It's not all about heavy freight trains, even if they are impressive.

A great show by all and no issue with the price here. Other events cost a lot more and personally I think £12 for access to two venues is good value.

A big 'thank you' from me to absolutely everybody involved in the weekend, whether organising, exhibiting or supporting.  I had a wonderful day out: it was marvellous to see so many seminal diesel and electric layouts in the line-up.  It would be really hard to single out favourites; however, the sight of full-length HST at speed, disappearing into the distance on 'Calcutta', was truly something to behold! 

Paul

Excuse the 'hand of god' at the start...

Evening all ,

I took your money for most of Saturday and Sunday at the National Brewery Museum . I didn't have one person question or complain about the cost . For those of you who started your day at this site the main gain was free parking , free entry to the museum , a few select layouts and traders and my happy face to assist you with relieving you of your entry fee !

After enjoying all of this you were dispatched off on an old red bus to the town hall for free !

I managed to get over for an hour and a half on Sunday afternoon which allowed me to say hello to a few of the DEMU family that hadn't made it over to NBM . I had a quick wander round the layouts and wished I had made more of an effort earlier to transfer sites .

As far a cost is concerned -

NBM site was worth the twelve quid for all that was included ( in my opinion )

Town Hall was worth much the same .

If you want a high quality show without a few garbage layouts that deserve to be in a skip you got it ! Where can you get one days entertainment for £ 12 - let alone up to two days if in the area .

Maybe some other shows should consider their size and cost . Maybe bring in quality layouts and traders and don't just ram in as much as they can .

Well done Mike and Guy - you pulled off a show like no other I have been to before .

I was working at the show all weekend and I would have paid twelve quid ( if asked ) just to be involved .........

See you all soon.

Mike b

• RMweb Premium

I was working at the show all weekend and I would have paid twelve quid ( if asked ) just to be involved .........

And that is high praise coming from someone North of the border.........

Cheers,

Mick

What a stonking show this was!!!

Many thanks to Mike and Guy for asking BMRG to bring Pengwynn Crossing along, we had loads of people saying "Brilliant, haven't seen this layout for ages, great to see it still about". We've even got a couple more invites for it, so it won't be retiring just yet  wink.gifwink.gif Oh and we were presented with an original yellow Pengwynn Crossing team T-Shirt.

The collection of D&E layouts was actually quite breath taking, as a 2mm modeller I thoroughly enjoyed Fencehouses, it was also great to see Grahames Stoney Lane and Steve Farmers Tanners Hill, and not forgetting Jim Allwoods Welton Down, this really was the who's who of 2mm Diesel modelling.

As far as the 4mm layouts were concerned, I think my vote has to go to Wibdenshaw, apart from Pengwynn Crossing of course :blum:  :blum:. But all the layouts were fantastic, not much in the way of trade for us N Gauge/2mm modellers but hey-ho can't have everything, I still managed to spend a good few quid, but that may have been at the bar on Friday & Saturday night though :mosking:  :mosking:

Looking forward to next years Showcase, but quite how it's going to top this, god only knows..........

Regards

Neal.

I have a LGB layout in the garden, could have a couple of layouts in the garage, could borrow a tent a have another layout on the front lawn.

We could run a vintage bus between Northampton and Towcester, just a thought?

B-)

Richard

Excellent day out and show, the 20 min bus ride from Brewery to the Town Hall was like an excursion in itself so we walked back which only took 12 mins ;)

The S stock was a nice surprise and well done to Mick for the 150 spoof ;)

Tonbridge West Yd was great to see again after so many years and boy does it stand up to scrutiny still, buildings and the stock are as good as ever a bit of static grass to freshen up a couple of grassy bits and it could easily stand a few more years on show.

Paul thanks for your comment. There was some static grass applied at the Redhill end but not that viewable up against the wall. I ran out of time to add more plus I wanted some longer grasses. More will be added in the future. What surprsed me while looking at my prototype photos is how little I can really apply as most vegitation was weeds which can now be done in other ways.

As others thanks to Guy, Mike and the whole DEMU team and machine for the show. Plus the help from friends at my late arival due to the M1 closure, unfortunately making it late to get all the stock on the layout in the morning. I was grateful for not too many faults over the show, but there were some but not bad for a 25 year old layout after 5 months of repairs and refreshing.

Good to see many friends plus the wonderfull comments we received from visitors, but many comments of "I was a kid when I first saw the layout" made me feel very old!

I didn't get much time to see the rest of the show and missed the Brewery Centre altogether but it was some list of layouts that can very unlikely ever be repeated.

Well done everyone.

• RMweb Premium

grahame,

Forgive me but words like pedantic and nit-picker unswervingly spring to mind when reading your remarks on my posts!

However, you have excelled yourself with that last sentence pearl of wisdom: "A fact would be speaking for them and you obviously aren't".

Do try and keep up.

• RMweb Gold

There was some static grass applied at the Redhill end but not that viewable up against the wall. I ran out of time to add more plus I wanted some longer grasses. More will be added in the future. .

Yep saw that at the far end, glad. The refurb is carrying on. Last time I saw it was, I think, at Eurotrack in Southampton. It was only the distinctive Lima motor noise that have some of the stock away as the original and not recent builds :)

Maybe a themed room at future shows, for other anniversaries, NSE like Ian mentioned or industrial etc?

Forgive me but words like pedantic and nit-picker unswervingly spring to mind when reading your remarks on my posts!

That sounds more like your insistance that the price was excessive. So sad that you need to bang on about it. And no need for you to think up another demeaning response  - I get the message the price wasn't to your liking.

G

Archived