DEMU Showcase 2015, Burton-upon-Trent, 30-31 May 2015

Revolution Mike

Just returned from a whistle stop tour (as I had my boys in tow). I was really impressed by the number of really quality layouts and a great selection of trades.

Bachmann's new S-stock Tube looked great!

Looking forward to returning tomorrow (without my boys) so I have a proper look and shop.

Huge congratulations to Guy, Mike and team.

What can't be right is someone posting that. To what possible end?

To receive assurance that the claim was wrong and that my rolling stock was going to be safe.

Last night I was informed by one of our crew that most of them wanted to pack up and come home. I am glad that you managed to sort out the problems and that their concerns were unfounded.

Geoff Endacott

I exhibited in the "tent" a few years ago for the other Burton show which is held in November. I had absolutely no issues with either the temperature or bounciness of floor on that occasion, can't imagine things are any different for DEMU.

I am pleased to hear that. I am not in Burton, but some of my rolling stock is. Last night I was given the impression by one of the crew that there were problems. Evidently he was wrong.

Geoff Endacott

To be honest it was poor form to make a public criticism the evening before the show Geoff.

I would go so far as to say it was one of the most pleasant and comfortable environments I've seen a show use; for anyone wavering about going tomorrow please do so, I only saw the brewery end and that was good enough. :)

• RMweb Premium

Recovering with a suitable beverage after talking most of the day. Only managed to put filler on couple of gaps in one of my cut n shut coaches.

Maybe tomorrow I may get time to smooth it down

It's a great, friendly show. If you can make Sunday, then do so

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Spent the ahole day there, 10:30-17:00 cracking layouts as usual

Liked the vast 'nothingness' of calcutta sidings with its prototypical length trains

Wibdenshaw is great, liked the freight with the 'de-meshed' 08s in the consist!

Widnes seemed to have a few problems, beast was pulling his hair out (whats left of it!)

Good to catch up with a few members, 250bob, andyY, mick (newbryford), drs37038, swifty11, wolf27 and many more!

Picked a few bits and bobs up but managed to resist any big spends, thankfully the resprayed colas 60s on a stall had gone when i worked my way back round for the 2nd time

As for the 2 venue set up, didnt really work for me, the bus ride was pleasant enough but the long way round coming back along burton high st it felt like a 'freak show' with shoppers pointing and staring at a bus full of old men!!

• RMweb Gold

Excellent day out and show, the 20 min bus ride from Brewery to the Town Hall was like an excursion in itself so we walked back which only took 12 mins ;)

The S stock was a nice surprise and well done to Mick for the 150 spoof ;)

Tonbridge West Yd was great to see again after so many years and boy does it stand up to scrutiny still, buildings and the stock are as good as ever a bit of static grass to freshen up a couple of grassy bits and it could easily stand a few more years on show.

Evening All,

Just got back from DEMU and am completely knackered!

One of the best if not the best show I've been to in a very long time, It wasn't over crowded and having it in 2 locations is a good idea, the 2nd location at the brewery centre is good as I managed to locate a beer I haven't had in years so all's well and stuff.

As for the layouts, Fantastic, superb and they all have given me back my modelling mojo which I have been lacking in the last year.

The various demostrations were great and nice to finally put a face to various names on this forum.

The trade stands were plentyfull and I got stuff I needed and a few kits to keep me going for a few months and I managed to get a Judith Edge kit I've been after for, I even managed to finally talk to mr S-Kits guy and talk about future kits in the pipe-line so very happy.

Back home with a beer and a curry.

Mathew

Well I had a thoroughly enjoyable visit to Showcase today, what a superb show, one of the best exhibitions that I have ever been to. Thanks to all those involved in the organisation of the event and the staff helping across the two sites. Also to the exhibitors, a truly great show, well done DEMU.

The layout selection was excellent, so much quality on display, loved it!

I managed to speak to quite a few members which was nice but couldn't get near to Pugsley and Mick, you were both very popular!

I came away highly motivated!

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Second etc all the great comments the Selected N and 2mm layouts flew flag well and the other 4 and 7 mm layouts cream of the crop, well done to all in the organising crew ! Viz the RM on tour around Burton great fun - waving royally wherever we went. Good to see a real bus vice the plastic cuboids that are PSVs today - we got salutes from a raft of Arriva crew in the town centre, good to turnheads.

Spent up - almost wisely as ever! looking forward to next year .

As Andy Y said if you have the chance tomorrow GO !

Robert     

Guest bri.s

Just got in ,great show possibly the best I've been to every layout worth watching ,met up with and chatted some great people

Brian

P.s I thought the atmosphere in the marquee was great quite relaxed ,

Only wish I could get down again tomorrow

Just got back home to York and had a great day. I went with a couple of mates and we all said how good a show it was. A good variety of layouts and trade and the second hall (Marquee) was a bonus. We spent quite a bit of time in the marquee and it was light, airy and had a good vibe. Some fantastic modelling . . . but, it must be said, there were long periods of nothing running on some.

However, it didn't spoil our enjoyment of the day.

I liked Wibdenshaw and always enjoy watching Warren Lane.

On this layout Maggie sits out front controlling her 08 shunter and always has a smile on her face and finds time to chat with people.

Other operators please take note!!!

Well done DEMU

Had an enjoyable day today at Burton, the venue being over 2 sites meant that there seemed to be much more room to move about, the aisles were spacious and no crushes to see the layouts, also did not see a rucksack! . The  glossy coloured DEMU Showcase brochure is excellent giving a detailed account of each layout with full colour photos.

I was not disappointed with any of the layouts, however I was impressed with Wibdenshaw the operators managed a 5 train passing at the stations approach, not sure if they meant it, but was a great photo opportunity.

Parking at the Brewery, as mentioned above, was good plenty of spaces. The bus journey going was lengthy, but the return was more direct and took less than 10 minutes.

For the skill, time and effort put in by the organisers and exhibitors I thought it £12 well spent and would like to give my thanks to all who were involved

Really excellent show. many thanks to all organisers and exhibitors.

The Routemaster linking the two venues was the icing on the cake!

So good, I wish I had booked a B&B and made a weekend of it! (Alas, family commitments tomorrow!).

Just returned from a whistle stop tour (as I had my boys in tow). I was really impressed by the number of really quality layouts and a great selection of trades.

Bachmann's new S-stock Tube looked great!

Looking forward to returning tomorrow (without my boys) so I have a proper look and shop.

Huge congratulations to Guy, Mike and team.

I wish I had known you were going! It would have been nice to meet you Sam. Another time perhaps. Enjoy the show tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic day out as expected, Showcase never disappoints and I can't recall a show where there's been so many 'showstopper' layouts all at one exhibition! Really good to meet up with the old gang again and pleased to say after months of promising and some gentle 'persuasion' (a certain Market Harborough resident!) I've rejoined DEMU again, looking forward to getting back on the forum and bringing back the good times!

• RMweb Premium

Left home later than planned, alarm went off as normal and I went back to sleep as normal. While driving up I was a bit concerned that there would be no parking spaces left at the brewery end. I was totally wrong. I rang Andy P to say I had landed, to be informed him, George T and Mike(not on RMweb) were at the Town Hall. Plan, we would meet up later.

Had a quick look at the stuff in the "tent" did not feel that impressed. I had a chat with Natalie. Introduced myself to Martin on Kinmundy. Gave the guys on Pengwynn Crossing some abuse.....well they have let Webbie put the crew bus I made for Ian when he built the layout in the stock box of another layout. Took the tour of Burton, never seen the town centre before as I have always gone straight to Showcase. Alan and Mark on the door gave me a refund as like a twit I paid full price at the other end not seeing as a member I got a discount. Rang Andy P, this time they were over in the chippy. So I waited for them at Tonbridge West Yard, catching up with Paul and his crew. Makes you feel all nostalgic seeing Paul's MTK EMU kits with the Lima motors running past. Still excellent after all these years. Quick "Hi" to the Bendall's on the Scalefour Society stand.

Joined up with Andy P, George T and Mike (not on RMweb). We seemed to whizz round the demo area, so many people I wanted to chat with. Jon Hall's portrait cutter seemed to be drawing an interest from many. Sorry Grahame I didn't get chance to stop and say hello, but Stoney Lane looked good. In the main hall I discussed an item of modelling with Phil of Calcutta Sidings. As normal with Wibbenshaw I think spent more time looking at the buses than the wonderful trains. DC kits took some money off me when I removed some books off their stand. Did not get much chance to look at the other traders as we were off to have a cuppa and a cake.

Felt a bit sorry for Welton Down all on their own up on the stage. May be I have seen Warren Lane a few too many times and feel I know it too well for it to give me a buzz these days. Quick natter with Steve on Tanners Hill, I am not an N gage man but Tanners Hill, Stoney Lane and Welton Down all have a nice feel about them. Could it be the 3rd rail? Book Law also demanded money when I lifted some books. Things haven't improved from last year, I still cannot get excited about layouts set in the highlands, sorry Kev. It isn't the modelling, it has something to do with the concept which I cannot explain why it does not appeal to me.

I had a chat with Mike and Judith Edge, Mike has only made two kits of BR shunters that I have not scratchbuilt (or have started building), one version of the LMS jackshaft drive 350s and the other is a Ruston 165DM. As I could not remember which version of the LMS locos I have made, I parted with some cash for the Ruston. In truth it is more suited to my Brisbane Road layout than the LMS loco as they were stationed at Stratford. Didn't get to see much of Farkham as we were off to catch the bus back to the tent.

No tour of Burton this time. We sat outside and had another cuppa, and a natter with Cav (RBE on here). It was nice to meet him. On the second trip around the tent an opportunity was taken to watch Andy Y driving trains on Diesel's in the Duchy.  Fencehouses is wonderfully modelled but does not excite me, must be the lack of a 3rd rail. Kinmundy is another highland based layout, and with all that frost left me feeling very cold. I was enjoying Blowers Green, I do like 7mm diesel layouts, when something happened behind me and I turned and started to look at Hazelbank. I then started to see things I had not seen first time round, the point rodding, the post for the signal wires and working signals. A nice range of rolling stock, but I was a bit concerned what D5909 was doing so far from home. Stood there for some time, chatting to Natalie about the layout in front of us. Could have spent more time but off we were again. Need to toss a coin as to the best layout at the show (my opinion) between Tonbridge West Yard and Hazelbank.

Final part of the day and I think more enjoyable than the DEMU  AGM was a visit to Andy P's potting shed to see Whittaker St in the flesh

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98858-whittaker-st-western-region/

Thanks to the gang at DEMU for a great show, all those who I met today, sorry if I did not have time to have good chat with you all (many of you will be pleased about that) and to Andy P, George T and Mike (not on RMweb) for their company today.

When I got home Gus the gundog was not happy, no one else had taken him for his evening walk.

I had a really great time, which my first demo at Showcase. When Guy asked me a month or so ago I had no idea what I was going to show as I had nothing but a workbench full of bits!

I didn't get to see much of the show but will be back tomorrow to hopefully fill the gaps. In the meantime enjoy some gratuitous APT-E footage on its tour of England!

Cheers

Shane

Spent all day at this exbn on Saturday, absolutely fantastic.!!!!

One of the very best exhibitions I have ever attended. The layouts were just superb, just wished I could go again today.

Congratulations DEMU organisers.

As for Mr Endacotts comments, another exbn organiser, his comments are well below the belt, and if we're true, left for others to post.

The tent was great from a visitors perspective, very light and roomy.

Bob

A few pictures for those who couldn't make DEMU. Apologies for the low quality - taken on an iPhone.

Diesels in the Duchy

post-11960-0-65255700-1433069717.jpg

post-11960-0-01568100-1433069733.jpg

post-11960-0-83882900-1433069744.jpg

Hazelbank

post-11960-0-55177300-1433069766.jpg

post-11960-0-85700800-1433069776.jpg

Farkham

post-11960-0-40183000-1433069796.jpg

post-11960-0-01536100-1433069818.jpg

Wibdenshaw

post-11960-0-34934900-1433069842.jpg

post-11960-0-36327200-1433069853.jpg

post-11960-0-35392700-1433069866.jpg

Welton Down

post-11960-0-77604800-1433069905.jpg

post-11960-0-22695700-1433069938.jpg

Tonbridge West Yard

post-11960-0-32720300-1433069952.jpg

and finally this beauty...

post-11960-0-03441100-1433070279.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As there have been a couple of murmurings about the admission charge,it might be appropriate here to observe that it includes two separate sites,free vintage bus transport between them and all weekend revisits.Yes I know I'm local but it was nice to just make a second visit this afternoon,despite the mother of a road traffic accident on the Trent Bridge and a first for me in that I had to u-turn half way across it and go via St.Peter's Bridge to reach the Town Hall.The return home had to be made via Repton!

Archived