To be honest pulled Corgi Atkinson catalogue pic off google images , model no. is CC12512 and its a limited edition of 2300. Nice model but should the trailer be yellow? all the dealers I've looked at are sold out.

Thanks for that.

BR and NCL trailers would have been yellow; this one might have been 'borrowed' from BRS (part of NFC, like NCL) or another operator.

Thanks for that.

BR and NCL trailers would have been yellow; this one might have been 'borrowed' from BRS (part of NFC, like NCL) or another operator.

So we have a NCL Atkinson in BR livery hauling a red trailer. So did Corgi do the model from an actual photo ?

It just adds to the theory of some special (short term) contract where the tractor unit was given new branding on the yellow livery and the trailer/s were hired.

Of course Corgi are well known for doing models from black and white pictures, and guessing the colours. Example in the Trackside of a 1963 Morris J2 van in maroon that should be green, and the J2 ambulance in white that was cream.

Would love to see the photo.

Merfyn

So we have a NCL Atkinson in BR livery hauling a red trailer. So did Corgi do the model from an actual photo ?

It just adds to the theory of some special (short term) contract where the tractor unit was given new branding on the yellow livery and the trailer/s were hired.

Of course Corgi are well known for doing models from black and white pictures, and guessing the colours. Example in the Trackside of a 1963 Morris J2 van in maroon that should be green, and the J2 ambulance in white that was cream.

Merfyn

Given the load of cable drums shown, I wonder if it would be a St Helens or Warrington vehicle (BICC) or Southampton (Pirelli)?

Given the load of cable drums shown, I wonder if it would be a St Helens or Warrington vehicle (BICC) or Southampton (Pirelli)?

They are BICC so would have been made at Helsby, only a stones throw from Warrington, and the registration number is Liverpool !. So that would be 2 Atkinsons we know of like this, including the Malton one. Any more ?

All we need now is the photos ?

Merfyn

To be honest pulled Corgi Atkinson catalogue pic off google images , model no. is CC12512 and its a limited edition of 2300. Nice model but should the trailer be yellow? all the dealers I've looked at are sold out.

Iam 99% certain that the model is 1/50th scale.

Paul

Merfyn

Hmm, Corgi and Extensive Research, not well known for jumping in to bed together too often!

But a good theory which holds up.

Another tack ,as their's also a BR FG crewbus in attendance could it belong to the BR engineering/permanent way people.

I never in my years with BR saw any artics. Mid 70s and evrything was still carried by rail.

Always happy to be proved wrong though .

Merfyn

Yes indeed. I can see a EFE repaint coming shortly using those photos.

Merfyn.

It'll need some mods, the EFE is the early cab with single headlights, the one in the pic is a second series ('67ish onwards)with twin lights. If you want to be absolutely correct, the early cab also had a wider curve to the front of it, both horizontally and vertically, so the only way to get it absolutely right would be an ABS or RTI cab.

I'd be happy with changing the lights I think, the difference in 1:76 is barely noticeable.

I was wondering if the Atkinson was at Malton to deal with steel traffic to Wards at Sherburn? The sidings at Weaverthorpe Station remained open for this traffic until August 1981.

Sounds like it Dave. With the tractor unit returning to Malton for stabling in the station.

Just what we wanted, some local knowledge.

Cheers Merfyn.

Thats an interesting flickr pic and thread DVLR.

Going back to The Atki theres also an enormous and long standing Bacon factory in Malton,but I think Atki was something to do with BR engineering. With one of the real vehicles still around and the Corgi model I suppose their's a good chance we will find out sometime. :)

Yes-the last bit of the Malton-Driffield branch was retained for a few months after the closure of the rest of the line just to serve the Bacon Factory, but I don't think that traffic from this source would have required an artic or be forwarded by rail in 1978. Malton also has Bright Steels, but of course whether they received traffic by rail I don't know.

Somthing different from the workbench this week.

A BMC FF cement tanker of 1959 from the North Eastern Region. Base Toys chassis, Frank Waller (RTI) cab and half the tank off a EFE 8 wheeler. Pictured in one of the Trans Pennine books. I don't know where it worked but was posed delivering for Earle's Cement one of the smaller names in the busness, from a railway yard to building site.

post-1625-127160581833_thumb.jpg

post-1625-127160582877_thumb.jpg

Merfyn.

Nice , wonder if anyone will do this lorry in RTR mode !

Talking BMC wonder when someones going to do a 'BMC ' J4 van as well, the post office ones were everywhere pre Sherpa introduction.

Too be honest can't be bothered fiddling around making metal kits , I've got a few on the shelf ,but thats maybe my laziness :rolleyes: the advent of RTR British HO trucks has been brilliant for me, much prefer chopping around cheap ready built stuff.

Too be honest can't be bothered fiddling around making metal kits , I've got a few on the shelf ,but thats maybe my laziness :rolleyes: the advent of RTR British HO trucks has been brilliant for me, much prefer chopping around cheap ready built stuff.

To be honest, kits like the Parker ones don't have to be built. One piece body, slot in the floor/chassis/seat unit, paint and glaze. Very similar to or less work than a cut and shut on a Base Toys or Oxford. The kits that do need building are Springside, best avoided.

The down side with the whitemetal being more expensive.

Merfyn.

To be honest, kits like the Parker ones don't have to be built. One piece body, slot in the floor/chassis/seat unit, paint and glaze. Very similar to or less work than a cut and shut on a Base Toys or Oxford. The kits that do need building are Springside, best avoided.

The down side with the whitemetal being more expensive.

Merfyn.

Ah, the only ones I've bought are Springside, took one look and put back in box ! :D

There's a couple of interesting vehicles in this photo of what I believe is Worcester:-

http://erniesunknownrailwaylocations.fotopic.net/p63799151.html

The long van trailer is presumably for the large amount of parcels from one of the catalogue operators (was it Kays?) based around Worcester.

The 'Railfreight' branded FG is a bit odd- I would have thought it would be either 'Rail Express Parcels' or 'NCL' by this point.