RMweb

Hattons announce 10 exclusive limited editions Austerity/J94 by DJModels

Andy Y

SMR CHRIS, on 16 Sept 2016 - 03:02, said:

with my six three have some minor issues ... It's not like I could have purchased these over the counter here in Australia and carefully picked the best one at the shop

Out of curiosity, given these, Les's non-runner and Redgate's noisy one, exactly what does "examined, tested and approved" involve ?

I'm assuming that inspection and testing for a retailer commission would be done (or not done) by the retailer. Looking at the statements on the yellow peril thread it appears that one went straight from the docks to Kernow, who presumably should have done the testing (but obviously didn't with mine).

Dave should be able to confirm.

Les

Out of curiosity, given these, Les's non-runner and Redgate's noisy one, exactly what does "examined, tested and approved" involve ?

That question is well put. It doesn’t apply only to DJ Models – some retailers test models before they send them out. Testing could consist of sticking a model on the track and spinning the power knob. If it goes, it passes; only dead ones fail. On the other hand, it could consist of a careful check which fails a model which, for example, runs jerkily at low speed.

DJ Models has supplied 2,000 limited edition model J94s/Austerities to Hatton’s alone. To be fair, the time to be devoted to each one must be limited and the brain is likely to go a bit numb because of the repetition.

Even a retailer has to be careful when he tests. If he tests extensively, he runs the risk of the recipient claiming that the model shows signs of use, especially if the recipient is a collector.

From my own point of view, a model should be able to start and stop smoothly. It is unlikely that a slow-speed judder will be spotted when a short test sends it scudding down a length of track and back. Over the years, I have only had a couple of locos dead on arrival but very many more poor runners or with a fault of some other sort.

• Like 1

I'm assuming that inspection and testing for a retailer commission would be done (or not done) by the retailer.

Except ColinK's on the previous page, and presumably yours ? has a little card in it from Dave stating that it has been "...examined tested and approved before despatch by David Jones". I'm aware that mass manufacturing and standard quality control sampling means that the odd duffer will still get through, but Dave appeared to be promising a much higher standard than that.

Except ColinK's on the previous page, and presumably yours ? has a little card in it from Dave stating that it has been "...examined tested and approved before despatch by David Jones". I'm aware that mass manufacturing and standard quality control sampling means that the odd duffer will still get through, but Dave appeared to be promising a much higher standard than that.

Rest assured. Every locomotive delivered so far by DJM has had a personal inspection for running by me. (Anyone note I've been a way a lot recently) and as such finished manufacture, went in a box, went in another box went on a road journey, went on a sea journey, got manhandled at the docks, got manhandled by customs, got manhandled by the delivery company and then got manhandled during unloading, then manhandled during unpacking by the shop, got manhandled but the shop when packing, then got manhandled no end of times by the postal service.

Something will happen to a few, it's guaranteed. Too many links in the chain for it not to.

Obviously I'd love everyone to be perfect, but reality is that no matter what you do, when producing model railway locomotives, you will never get a 100% consignment of perfect models. However I'm pleased to say that apart from a very few, by comparison with the models delivered, faulty, DJM models seem to be nicely under the industry expected 5% failure rate.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Dave

DJModels Ltd

The rest of the NCB loco's I ordered via Hattons arrived today some hits and some misses unfortunately

First a photo of the DJM fleet

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I guess when you mass produce models there is a good chance that there will be some issues and with my six three have some minor issues

First is Hurricane J9405 it possibly is the best finish's of the weathered Version's I received but on removing from the box it was noted the chassis was loose at the cab end closer investigation reveals a screw missing when I took a photo I can see that it's actually had the head sheared off looks like it goes in a small brass insert in the plastic I may have to send this loco back as its not something that can be rectified or do I live with it and just be carful handelling as the Australian postage cost of posting back is 1/2 the cost of the loco.

The location of the missing screw head

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The gap under the foot plate due to not being retained

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Next is the water filler weathering on the top of the water filler on Maroon J9404 on the other photos I have seen posted it looks a lot more subtle than the splodge of light Gray on my one that just looks out of place.

My one I'm going to have to tone this down to make it look ok

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Then the loco that was my first pick to order NCB Mountain Ash #8 J9406

The smoke box front weathering is not as good as the other samples people have posted photos of and the hand rail is not mounted at one side just a little disappointing.

Looks sloppy when compared to the photo below it

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

For comparison photos below

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This one posted by Les1952

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Any thoughts or are these just consistent with what others have received.

It's not like I could have purchased these over the counter here in Australia and carefully picked the best one at the shop as these are allexclusive and I needed to trust the seller not to send a faulty model.

The water filler weathering on the other two looks to have been applied before the dark over spray? where on my example it's on top.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ps the Blue NCB No7 seams to be perfect and looks just like Andys photo in a previous post.

Hi Chris,

Looking at your pics it looks as though shock loading of the models during transit either to the U.K. Or from there to you, has affected the models.

I've seen a couple of shock loaded J94's in yellow where the front smokebox handrail has become dislodged but I've not seen it so severe as to take the top off a screw.

Certainly those 2 models don't look on a par with what's being delivered by Hattons, and I'm sure Hattons Dave will be along soon to address the problem either here or by PM.

Cheers

Dave (DJM)

My two delivered this morning - loose handrail on Littleton engine, but a little cyano fixed that. Spiffing engines, wonderful at any angle you look.

I'm currently in the shed at tussled waiting for a peckett to come past, but rest assured that I shall run them before the day is out :)

• Like 1

Done in China then bounced around a lot and subjected to sustained low frequency vibration in transit.  From a video loop (remember those?) I used to show to 6th-form physicists (remember those?) these vibrations can cause certain small components to hit resonance- it is an overtone (harmonic) of the low fundamental frequency that does the damage, not the long-wavelength low vibration of the ship's engine itself.  Remember freighters don't have the sophisticated engine damping given to cruise ships.   It was fascinating to watch a transistor radio (remember those?) self-destruct when subjected to ships engine vibrations.

The real surprise is often that stuff arrives intact at all.

Les

I suspect that the screw in Hurricane suffered fatigue rather than shock - was the rest of it in the box?

L

Edited by Les1952

Hi Chris,

Looking at your pics it looks as though shock loading of the models during transit either to the U.K. Or from there to you, has affected the models.

I've seen a couple of shock loaded J94's in yellow where the front smokebox handrail has become dislodged but I've not seen it so severe as to take the top off a screw.

Certainly those 2 models don't look on a par with what's being delivered by Hattons, and I'm sure Hattons Dave will be along soon to address the problem either here or by PM.

Cheers

Dave (DJM)

Thanks Dave as I have said in a few other posts I'm really happy with the models on a whole

Have been in contact with Christine and Ben at Hattons, They are going to replace the models they will be on there way back to the UK next week.

As far as the screw I expect that would have happened at the install stage I read a online review last night that mentioned that the screws are very small and super tight and of differing types even though the part number is the same, there is a photo in the review of the screws

Link

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2016/09/15/djm-j94-setting-higher-standards/

Of the Six I have received it was only the ones in my post that have issues the other 3, Backworth, yellow peril and the Littleton blue No7 weathered ones are all fine and run well

And my only issues with the Maroon loco is on my one the water tank filler weathering looks like it missed the step before the dark soot over spary then was applied haistly later on top so Stands out like the Dogs proverbial's and it spoils a otherwise nice looking paint scheme.

As far as people saying they are light and may not pull well on test last night the Littleton Blue No7 was able to manage a load larger than would be expected for a small 0-6-0 and as a test was able to move away 30 wagons plus brake van, (Bachmann 16 ton minerals) it would probaly pull more but I have mainline 2-8-0 for the hauling of these trains I figure the most any of my ones will ever pull will be about 6 as they form up trains from the Colliery, not mainline size trains that's not the point of a small loco like these that's the job of the big 2-8-0's.

Anyway thanks to Hattons and Dave for producing these Models and to the staff at Hattons, Christine + Ben for getting back to me quickly it can be hard coordinating emails back and forth due to time zone variance.

• Like 1

On haulage.

I wish I could remember which article it was to quote exactly, but one of the Lancashire collieries had its exchange sidings at the top of a steep hill on the BR line, with a steeper gradient up from the sidings to the colliery.   Class 37s used to struggle up the bank and arrive at the sidings, whereupon the WD saddletank would remove the brake van and breeze off up the steeper line to the pit with the whole of the rest of the train.  

I can't remember whether it was this pit or one of the Yorkshire ones where BR diesels occasionally needed assistance from the pit loco, which were registered for running over the main line.

Les

• RMweb Gold

All I need before I can run them (apart from power to the layout which is on the workbench now until Christmas) is to get chips. However, what address do you give an engine (the Peckfield one) that didn't have a running number?

Perhaps it had better have its works number- Hunslet 3891 (higher than the yellow peril as works numbers were given to rebuilds after Hunlet stopped building new WD saddletanks)

Les

Also need more drivers- I've run out.

Les, I decided on 19xx series for all my NCB locos  and calculated the 19 as follows:

N = 14

C =   3

B =   2      making 19

so my Yellow Peril becomes 1965 and blue No.7 becomes 1907. If I get your red one that will become 1900.

Keith

The real surprise is often that stuff arrives intact at all.

Les

I suspect that the screw in Hurricane suffered fatigue rather than shock - was the rest of it in the box?

L

Hi Les

Sorry forgot to say that there is no sign of the rest of the screw in the box with Hurricane.

However Hurricane did have two sets of coupler's in the box??

I will try and see how many wagons it will pull on a grade on a friends layout once I have DCC one

I have about 45 16T minerals if needed. May be a while before they get DCC conversion though.

A question for the brains trust "How long was the average train of 16 ton mineral wagons Unbraked type and braked type if there is a differance, Not being from the UK and to young, when we lived there in 1981 to remember how long trains where.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Hi Les

Sorry forgot to say that there is no sign of the rest of the screw in the box with Hurricane.

However Hurricane did have two sets of coupler's in the box??

If the bit wasn't in the box it will have sheared off in assembly.  The assembler SHOULD have put it to one side at that point but in most factories these days it gets sent onwards as the disruption is more of a hassle to the supervisor than sending an occasional dud one through.

Given what Graham Farish managed to miss in 100% inspection and track testing an odd one like this can get through testing quite easily, especially if it is No.193 since the last break...

Les

• RMweb Gold

On haulage.

I wish I could remember which article it was to quote exactly, but one of the Lancashire collieries had its exchange sidings at the top of a steep hill on the BR line, with a steeper gradient up from the sidings to the colliery. Class 37s used to struggle up the bank and arrive at the sidings, whereupon the WD saddletank would remove the brake van and breeze off up the steeper line to the pit with the whole of the rest of the train.

I can't remember whether it was this pit or one of the Yorkshire ones where BR diesels occasionally needed assistance from the pit loco, which were registered for running over the main line.

Les

Bickershaw ? Perhaps. The line came out by Springs Branch shed in Wigan.

Hattons' Hurricane is a Bickershaw J94.

I've seen somewhere a J94 pushing MGRs and a pair of Blue 20's in the early 1980's.

Edited by adb968008

Phone call from Jeremy at Digitrains today-

Quick trip to Lincoln to pick up my now noisy 71515.  Sounds superb- AND - he got the stay-alive inside as well as the sound chip and speaker.  

Club night tomorrow.   I'll try to remember the video camera.

Les

Out of a large number of attempts at getting a video in a noisy and poorly lit clubroom last night this is the least worst.

https://youtu.be/eotJkZTp15Q

Can't get the video to embed and show- I've forgotten the way I did it wrong last time it worked. And - I know I'e got the wrong whistle for 71515.  That will be corrected in time.

Les

Can't get the video to embed and show- I've forgotten the way I did it wrong last time it worked. And - I know I'e got the wrong whistle for 71515.  That will be corrected in time.

Les

Remove the "s" from "https"

This is Les1952 video clip.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1

I am turning my two into Spitfire and...... Hurricane.

Just added name plates I got from Ambis a while ago.

I will be waiting for a DJ models version of the RT models Giesl ejector before I tackle the chimney.

post-506-0-05022200-1474820561_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just a quick notification RE the delivery of the BR J94 68012 (J9403). We received our supply of these locomotives with the second batch of austerities earlier in September however these have been produced fitted with round buffers rather than oval as specified. I'm sorry that we couldn't release this info sooner however we had to resolve the issue before we could make this public. I can confirm the locos are currently on the way back to China to be reworked to the correct specification however this will result in a delay in the models being released. 

We haven't got an exact date for this as of yet (although we're expecting them back towards the end of the year), we'll be keeping everyone who has an email against their pre-order or notifications updated as and when we get the latest news. Please accept our apologies for this however we did not want to cause more disappointment by providing a model that is not correct to specification.

If you've any queries regards orders you may have, please get in touch via the usual channels.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the other nine releases, I'd like to say thanks for sharing the various photos and info they have so far. It's great to see just how far they're spreading their wings and the 'mods' being done to them including renaming and numbering.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 1

Speaking as a novice, can anyone advise the best way to affix the nameplates to 'Royal Engineer'?

Difficult one, my pics of the prototype show them standing vertically above the footplate.  

My method would be to glue a small plastic block (use square or L section Evergreen cut from strip) behind the centre of the nameplate, making it long enough to support the whole length but not long enough to show at the end.  Choose a section small enough to not show over the top of the nameplate and glue it flush with the bottom edge.  Paint it matt black apart from the bottom surface. Then use a tiny amount of superglue or contact adhesive to glue the bottom edge to the footplate.

Hope this helps.

Les