Hattons announce 10 exclusive limited editions Austerity/J94 by DJModels

Andy Y

Looking good so far

Hi Chris, all the photos on our listings have been amended to show models 'as produced' and this is as they will be supplied, with the exception of J9403.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Dave

Just had a look on the Hattons website and those weathered locos look fantastic. Especially the scorched smokebox door on J9406.

Thanks Dave they look great.

I really like the weathering treatment on Mountain Ash NCB No8

Hurry up Mr post man

• Like 1

Taking 71515 to the model railway club last week has had a positive effect.

One club member reported today that he has ordered a Mountain Ash and a C&HP version......

Shame about the Mountain Ash- I've been drooling over it.  Never mind, the Peckfield version I've just ordered will help me get over it.  That will make four DJM WDs on No Place- the other pair being an RMWeb Yellow Peril due any time and a high Bunker on pre-order with my local shop....

I still quite fancy Backworth No.4, but will have to wait for my PayPal balance to recover a bit.

Les

Taking 71515 to the model railway club last week has had a positive effect.

One club member reported today that he has ordered a Mountain Ash and a C&HP version......

Shame about the Mountain Ash- I've been drooling over it. Never mind, the Peckfield version I've just ordered will help me get over it. That will make four DJM WDs on No Place- the other pair being an RMWeb Yellow Peril due any time and a high Bunker on pre-order with my local shop....

I still quite fancy Backworth No.4, but will have to wait for my PayPal balance to recover a bit.

Les

Les another member having Mountan Ash No8 at the club doesn't have to stop you having one on your "no place" layout.

I've just started a micro/plank specifically to have my collection of DJM NCB Locos on display in a setting that suits at 4ft by 1ft it's fairly small, track just gone down and first inhabitants moving in 5 more to arrive 4 from Hattons and the yellow peril RMWeb version its going to be a full house

The plan a home for the DJM NCB fleet I may have to Call it "DJ colliery"

loco shed to left pop it head in the middle and loading screens to the right

post-14985-0-04226200-1473203972_thumb.jpeg

Backworth No4 plus Jinty

post-14985-0-24086900-1473203833_thumb.jpegpost-14985-0-45497400-1473203889_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 4

Les another member having Mountan Ash No8 at the club doesn't have to stop you having one on your "no place" layout.

I've just started a micro/plank specifically to have my collection of DJM NCB Locos on display in a setting that suits at 4ft by 1ft it's fairly small, track just gone down and first inhabitants moving in 5 more to arrive 4 from Hattons and the yellow peril RMWeb version its going to be a full house

The plan a home for the DJM NCB fleet I may have to Call it "DJ colliery"

loco shed to left pop it head in the middle and loading screens to the right

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Backworth No4 plus Jinty

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Your concept is fairly similar in a lot of ways to No Place, though partly a mirror image. With hindsight I should have omitted a road in my screens area. I took out the double slip three way point from the layout as the short wheelbase locos (I go right down to a 48DS Ruston and a Doxford cranetank) had too many issues with it.

No.8 was a bit tentative for my area, but I fancied a second (and maybe even a third) bite at the Hattons loco- it was a toss up whether to get No.8 or the Peckfield loco in any event.

Best of luck with it.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Hi all,

The remaining five industrial variants are now in stock, with the 'Cromford version' J9403 coming shortly.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, I was just wondering if you had any plans to duplicate your Limited Editions for the N gauge version of the DJM Class 94?

It would have been rude not to put myself down for one of these when Hatton's announced the livery as the real thing ran about 5 miles from here and was one of the few I saw working on a regular basis in the mid 70s.

1s.jpg

Impressed with the factory weathering! There's a few detail differences to work on with this one in due course.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

How far behind is the Late BR version

We've not got an exact date as of yet, but as soon as we do I'll let everyone know.

Hi Dave, I was just wondering if you had any plans to duplicate your Limited Editions for the N gauge version of the DJM Class 94?

At the moment we've no plans to repeat the locos in N gauge as we're focusing on our other forthcoming releases including the 14xx's, Kings and ICI hoppers in OO, and the A3/A4/Teaks in O.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

It would have been rude not to put myself down for one of these when Hatton's announced the livery as the real thing ran about 5 miles from here and was one of the few I saw working on a regular basis in the mid 70s.

attachicon.gif1s.jpg

Impressed with the factory weathering! There's a few detail differences to work on with this one in due course.

Didn't that one get loaned out to the Somerset Levels for a few weeks in the early 1960s?

attachicon.gif1s.jpg

A couple of minor tweaks and its golden, red wheel bosses for certain and boxing in the steps. Some of the moulded pipework isn't great, but its not badly done at all, and if it grates can probably be replaced with brass castings. To be honest I'd be more minded to do something about the buffers than anything else, but even so, I'm getting pretty picky there. But like you say, being a local machine it would have been rude of me not to have had one on order! I'll have to see how it behaves on the track at the club tonight being as I don't exactly model in 00...

attachicon.gif1s.jpg

Yeah, that is gorgeous.  I really want one, but i don't absolutely need one.  Hopefully at the end of September with a bit of luck when my budget is less messed up they won't be sold out and i can actually consider buying one.  But if not, c'est la vie.  Well done though to Hattons and DJM, they are great looking locomotives.

Stephen

Yeah, that is gorgeous.  I really want one, but i don't absolutely need one.  Hopefully at the end of September with a bit of luck when my budget is less messed up they won't be sold out and i can actually consider buying one.  But if not, c'est la vie.  Well done though to Hattons and DJM, they are great looking locomotives.

Stephen

Me too, There are couple on there that interest me too. The weathering is stunning on NCB 8, looks fit for the scrap yard. I can just imagine people seeing that on the layout and think it is a static model only (and then off it chuffs)!

But so is the Hattons pristine army green one and then the non Hattons Wilbert....  However my finances are being eaten by a load of USA tanks right now so maybe, perhaps, next year IF any I fancy are still around by then.

Well done Hattons and DJM, my shirt is wet from dribbling.

For those who wonder if Backworth No.4 should really be clean, it appears in this video that I've found on another thread in RMWeb (under UK Standard Gauge Industrials.)  Note that the other Backworth locos in the film are equally as clean- and as for the red hopper wagons....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB0TJi30LU0&app=desktop

Les

• Like 3

The red pair are both on display at No Place.

All I need before I can run them (apart from power to the layout which is on the workbench now until Christmas) is to get chips. However, what address do you give an engine (the Peckfield one) that didn't have a running number?

post-13358-0-90681000-1473527591_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-72663200-1473527592_thumb.jpg

Perhaps it had better have its works number- Hunslet 3891 (higher than the yellow peril as works numbers were given to rebuilds after Hunlet stopped building new WD saddletanks)

Les

Also need more drivers- I've run out.

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Arrived home from the excellent GBRF Charity Railtour 15 and my neighbour brought a box round that the postman had left.

post-19248-0-38694700-1473702041.jpg

Open it up. Nice touch is the card from Dave Jones and the ribbon.

post-19248-0-34310700-1473702069.jpg

Nice foam packing, which also makes it easy to remove the loco without damaging it.

post-19248-0-77196300-1473702136.jpg

Out it comes - look good with stunning weathering. Even the tension lock couplings (supplied in a bag) are already weathered.

post-19248-0-96359800-1473702180.jpg

Gave it a quick run on my test track and it runs beautifully.  So a superb loco, well worth the wait, well worth the price.

Now, what do I need to do to make it like the Hurricane I was fortunate to see working at the colliery?

1.  Weather inside the cab.

2.  Add a crew.

3.  Fit a sound chip and speaker.

4.  Finally, install a smoke generator which emits clouds of black smoke and rains hot smuts on those watching, might not go down too well with the domestic authorities though!

• Like 4

Running session at the Model railway Club this morning.

Left to right-  my red one,  Geoff's green one (ordered as a result of watching my 71515 running) and Pete's 68023 (Pete did contact Sherwood Models after Thursday's running session but they'd sold out, so his came from Rails).

post-13358-0-30876200-1473770803_thumb.jpg

The red one laps just a little faster than the green, taking 54 laps to catch it when set off ahead.

A couple of other members are thinking about whether they really have an excuse NOT to run a WD saddletank....

Les

• Like 1

Now, what do I need to do to make it like the Hurricane I was fortunate to see working at the colliery?

1.  Weather inside the cab.

2.  Add a crew.

3.  Fit a sound chip and speaker.

4.  Finally, install a smoke generator which emits clouds of black smoke and rains hot smuts on those watching, might not go down too well with the domestic authorities though!

5. A rake of HAAs/16Tonners

6. And a large spoil heap in the background!

The rest of the NCB loco's I ordered via Hattons arrived today some hits and some misses unfortunately

First a photo of the DJM fleet

post-14985-0-12256000-1473988826_thumb.jpeg

I guess when you mass produce models there is a good chance that there will be some issues and with my six three have some minor issues

First is Hurricane J9405 it possibly is the best finish's of the weathered Version's I received but on removing from the box it was noted the chassis was loose at the cab end closer investigation reveals a screw missing when I took a photo I can see that it's actually had the head sheared off looks like it goes in a small brass insert in the plastic I may have to send this loco back as its not something that can be rectified or do I live with it and just be carful handelling as the Australian postage cost of posting back is 1/2 the cost of the loco.

The location of the missing screw head

post-14985-0-64603400-1473989315_thumb.jpeg

The gap under the foot plate due to not being retained

post-14985-0-38133900-1473989373_thumb.jpeg

Next is the water filler weathering on the top of the water filler on Maroon J9404 on the other photos I have seen posted it looks a lot more subtle than the splodge of light Gray on my one that just looks out of place.

My one I'm going to have to tone this down to make it look ok

post-14985-0-06388500-1473989756_thumb.jpeg

Then the loco that was my first pick to order NCB Mountain Ash #8 J9406

The smoke box front weathering is not as good as the other samples people have posted photos of and the hand rail is not mounted at one side just a little disappointing.

Looks sloppy when compared to the photo below it

post-14985-0-33724500-1473990074_thumb.jpeg

For comparison photos below

post-14985-0-04964600-1473990330_thumb.jpeg

This one posted by Les1952

post-14985-0-29368100-1473990662.jpeg

Any thoughts or are these just consistent with what others have received.

It's not like I could have purchased these over the counter here in Australia and carefully picked the best one at the shop as these are allexclusive and I needed to trust the seller not to send a faulty model.

The water filler weathering on the other two looks to have been applied before the dark over spray? where on my example it's on top.

post-14985-0-60863100-1473991734_thumb.jpeg

Ps the Blue NCB No7 seams to be perfect and looks just like Andys photo in a previous post.

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 2