Hornby's Warley Announcements.

Multiple identity account

I am happy waiting for Hornby to get back on their feet and I surely look forward to seeing them there soon.

PS: Feel free to disagree, but this is what I've seen over 16 years. I will stand by Hornby for I still get my quality products from them.

But isn't that what this is all about? If Hornby had been a dreadful company for the last 16 years no one would have bothered to have contributed to a thread about it.

It's the fact that it has done something so out of character which has lead to all these comments. Many a satisfied customer not having anything currently on order will have nothing to complain about and will feel the company is getting unfair grief. Our concern is about the way the current problems have been handled and that this may be the future culture of the company which will sweep over all its customers unless voices are raised in protest at an early stage.

Hornby now have a countdown timer for the "2015 Range - Coming Soon" on their front page....

What are YOU hoping they'll announce??????!!!!!

(I'd be happy for them to sort out the 2014 stuff that still hasn't arrived)

Hornby now have a countdown timer for the "2015 Range - Coming Soon" on their front page....

It's pretty hard to get excited about it this year.

A big chunk of the announcements are already public knowledge. I think we collectively have a pretty significant 'new model announcement' fatigue, particularly so when it will take more than 12 months for most of the announcements (by anyone) to materialize as products.

It will be interesting to see just how many products Hornby announce besides the five they have already declared, but the excitement level about Hornby's announcements in particular is coloured by their very uneven performance this year in delivering quality models in the volumes that customers want.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby has been in a distressed financial condition for a few years now. We may not like the way they are behaving, particularly regarding their treatment of their retailers, but, absent the necessary and long-awaited improvements in their supply chain, my suspicion is that their executive management deem their choices necessary for the financial survival of the company.

And yet that is precisely what they don't do.  They have been offering (not just in their Black Friday fire sale) items at a lower price than they can get from their retailers - to me it is simply the madness of underselling and in the end will do them more harm than good as it can develop an expectation of continuing under-selling.

I think the situation we face with Hornby's direct sales is simply a total disconnect between it and what passes through normal retailers - i.e. x number of whatever arrives from China and y percent of that order goes to the direct sales dept (seemingly irrespective of the fact that retailers have placed pre-orders). Once the direct sales dept have got their share they set out to sell it, and to meet their imposed sales figures and no doubt their algorithim, or gut feeling, indicates that when something isn't moving fast enough they should reduce the price.  So they do and without reference to anything but the book price at which they took it into stock, hence they undercut, by a large margin, the price which retailers paid Hornby for exactly the same thing and the retail trade is damaged yet again. 

So instead of sales at RRP less 10% to the retail trade Hornby actually sell some stuff at buying-in price plus a small percentage mark up and they don't make as much as they would have selling it to retailers.  Against this of course everything they sell directly at RRP netts them 10% more per item than it would if they sold it to a retailer; which is great - as long as their direct sales organisation costs them less than that 10%.  However the bigger the direct sales organisation the greater its overheads so it will be (and at least should be?) a continuing managerial value for money exercise to ensure that direct sales are profitable and worthwhile.

And of course some folk will buy at rock bottom prices because they can't resist what they see as a bargain and in many cases they probably don't give a toss about their normal retailer surviving or not, until they need some Humbrol paint.

I think the constant stream of announcements from an increasing number of suppliers combined with a failure to deliver in various quarters has generated a good amount of apathy towards the annual announcement.

To be honest I've completely lost interest in all the froth and speculation. All very pointless if you have no idea if/when it will turn up and what the quality will be. I suspect others are in the same boat.

Absolutely right, I think most of us already know many of Hornby's 2015 releases - a 700, a J5 and a D16/something or other for a start,.  And possibly a 'King' and some varieties of Adams Radial  - although they might slip into 2016.

... They have been offering (not just in their Black Friday fire sale) items at a lower price than they can get from their retailers - to me it is simply the madness of underselling and in the end will do them more harm than good as it can develop an expectation of continuing under-selling ...

So instead of sales at RRP less 10% to the retail trade Hornby actually sell some stuff at buying-in price plus a small percentage mark up and they don't make as much as they would have selling it to retailers.  Against this of course everything they sell directly at RRP netts them 10% more per item than it would if they sold it to a retailer; which is great - as long as their direct sales organisation costs them less than that 10%.  However the bigger the direct sales organisation the greater its overheads so it will be (and at least should be?) a continuing managerial value for money exercise to ensure that direct sales are profitable and worthwhile.

Mike, I don't disagree with anything you said here. My main point is that the core business problem remains the supply chain - not sales and distribution. Because they can't seem to fix the supply chain quickly enough they are turning knobs in sales and distribution.

All this monkeying around with channel strategy is doing little but alienating us - the enthusiasts who value strong retailers and the retailers themselves.

Your premise that they probably could have made better margins by permitting stock that ended up in Hornby's remaindered bin to be sold to retailers at normal trade prices has a lot of merit. Executive management seems married to the multiple channel strategy incorporating direct sales - they have said as much in their reports to the City. They evidently need turnover now for their balance sheet. To get it they appear to be willing to sacrifice margins in their direct channel.

• RMweb Gold

How about a 4 car class 365 dual voltage networker or 3rd rail only 4 car class 465 for modern image modellers, but for steam modellers how I agree with those who suggested earl marischal or a streamlined P2 but how about Sir Nigel Gresley's 4-6-2-2 hush hush as either number 10000 and/or in rebuilt for like a A4 numbered 60700.

Does anybody out there like the sound of them.

Agree with the Networkers, but not interested in the kettles.

I doubt they'd go for 60007 in blue so soon after the gathering set, that would have a lot of people who shelled out for one baying for blood. Now 4498 in 1980s condition; LNER blue, steel letters/numbers and no valances, yes please!

Hopefully the new factories well be able to work with the spam cans as well, as it'd be nice to see them back in the catalogue.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

It being the festive season of the year,can we as the two opposing armies did in 1914,declare a Christmas truce and not descend,even in jest,to ridicule.....please.Is there some kudos to be gained in jibing at members' personal modelling preferences...whether it's steam,diesel or electric ? This gets tiresome.If you aren't interested,please walk away without resorting to labelling and informing everyone else about it.

If there is another EMU I recon it could be an obscure model from the north to test the water.. A 504 or 506? LMS Mersey units? Or maybe one of the Altrincham units (LNWR Euston units too follow??) It will be something that only has 2-3 cars and only carried 2-3 liveries in its life anyway..

Much as I'd like one, I think the RTR LNWR Oerlikon would be the kind of Christmas Miracle usually only obtained with the appearance of four ghosts and Tiny Tim... :)

It being the festive season of the year,can we as the two opposing armies did in 1914,declare a Christmas truce and not descend,even in jest,to ridicule.....please.Is there some kudos to be gained in jibing at members' personal modelling preferences...whether it's steam,diesel or electric ? This gets tiresome.If you aren't interested,please walk away without resorting to labelling and informing everyone else about it.

:nono:  Tut tut... Clearly a sense of humour needs to be left at the door when entering any thread with the word "Hornby" in the title. Do people really still get prickly about the old "kettle vs oil can" thing? Lighten up. Judging by the sheer amount of anti-Hornby vitriol that's rampant on RMWeb at the moment, I thought the only "them and us" was "The People vs Hornby" and not "steam vs diesel". Ah well. I guess I'm in the minority by having far more important things to get "steamed up" about. Pardon the pun...

I dont really think there was anything to get offended by or any intention of jest or ridicule. The original post had examples of both steam and EMU suggestions ... the replied post agreed with the EMU suggestions but not the steam ones. Is it not perfectly reasonable to express an opinion when asking if anyone would like similar things from the audience?

• RMweb Gold

I dont really think there was anything to get offended by or any intention of jest or ridicule. The original post had examples of both steam and EMU suggestions ... the replied post agreed with the EMU suggestions but not the steam ones. Is it not perfectly reasonable to express an opinion when asking if anyone would like similar things from the audience?

Express an opinion ? Fair enough...without resorting to the use of those terms.

• RMweb Premium

I do hope that when the announcement is made on Wedensday, Andy Y or or whoever reports for RMweb will close this thread and open a new thread. Already we are on page 26: a few weeks after the announcement, and many more pages of comments, it will be impossible to find it amongst 50 or more pages. So, please, a new thread on Wednesday!

I realise we already have a title, but something like 'Hornby 2015 range announcement 17 December 2014' would distinguish it from this thread.

John

I do hope that when the announcement is made on Wedensday, Andy Y or or whoever reports for RMweb will close this thread and open a new thread. Already we are on page 26: a few weeks after the announcement, and many more pages of comments, it will be impossible to find it amongst 50 or more pages. So, please, a new thread on Wednesday!

I realise we already have a title, but something like 'Hornby 2015 range announcement 17 December 2014' would distinguish it from this thread.

John

Too right ;) - this one will be locked and a new topic opened which will start with a rather large post which will include all of the relevant info on new announcements and re-liveries etc with catalogue numbers and price etc all in one easy to browse place without having to hop around different pages. Along with images showing the progress on projects it will be the most comprehensive resource available for the announcements; basically it'll be the place to go to get all the info in one swoop - the content is still being built as clarifications come in.

Too right ;) - this one will be locked and a new topic opened which will start with a rather large post which will include all of the relevant info on new announcements and re-liveries etc with catalogue numbers and price etc all in one easy to browse place without having to hop around different pages. Along with images showing the progress on projects it will be the most comprehensive resource available for the announcements; basically it'll be the place to go to get all the info in one swoop - the content is still being built as clarifications come in.

This thread title can be changed.

EDIT: I've put a more appropriate name for the thread. Hope it's fine?

• RMweb Gold

As 2015 is the 50th Anniversary of his death, I think 34051 'Winston Churchill' is odds-on but, as they've done the loco before, probably in a train pack with the 'Funeral van' and a couple of Pullmans.

I'd not be interested in the pack (I already have the loco) but the current PLV model predates the actual funeral by some years and I would eagerly snap up some new green ones of they decided to drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st century.  

As an aside, is the Hornby PLV the oldest r-t-r model still available? Bogies apart, it looks much as it always did whereas the current Jinty retains nothing of the Tri-ang original.

John

emphasis added

Aha - is this a clue that we can expect a larger number of announcements than we had previously suspected - froth froth

Archived