Hornby's Warley Announcements.

Multiple identity account

Guest Belgian

if Hornby were to launch only a 1941 MN or only a post-1952 version it might upset almost as many as it would delight.

With respect I see no evidence for this statement at all.

We accept we can't have everything and we work with what we are lucky enough to be given (nothing up to now so far as the original MN is concerned).

The least risky option is Series two and three. Even though I'd like a First Series, I've really waited long enough and time is running out.

I think 'if it is only one version' the First series would have to be it. There were the 'widow's peaks', a variety of deflectors, the nicely radiused curves on the valance, liveries from Black to Malachite (two versions), BR Blue and BR Brunswick and, to ice the cake, only one of the first series, no.35010, was amongst the first raft of rebuilds in 1956, whilst 35001/3/5/6 kept their casings into 1959. Only 8 and 9 lost theirs in 1957, 2/4/7 getting unmasked in 1958. (It was all an accident of when they were due General Overhauls).

JE

Edited by Belgian, Yesterday, 20:15 .

• Laugh.jpg Funny x 1

• Hey Mike!!! That wasn't supposed to be funny! I meant it!

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Now that FGW's brought out a simplified livery on their 153s I think Hornby will release one

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/306763/17894301

They could announce an Electrostar unit - there's plenty of liveries available and also fit in with Hornby's Kentish roots releasing one in Southeastern livery.

If they wanted to produce an older unit, I'm predicting a class 207 3D DEMU - the prototypes were relatively unchanged until the early 1990s when some lost their centre cars and became gangwayed.

Earl Marischal or the streamlined P2? 

Neither are necessarily a want on my part.

But big green loco's tend to sell well and I imagine both can be done with minimal tooling mods.

I did notice in one mag review of Cock O' The North on release that the smokebox's a separate moulding from the boiler, so maybe a 'nose job' is probable at some stage, particularly with a possible tie-in there with the Doncaster build version as well as Prince of Wales?

Or maybe an A2/2 version?.... ugh,.....  just off to be sick....

Given that 2013, saw two GWR locomotives and an LNER announced, that 2014 saw three LNER and a southern announced, and so far this year we know there is going to another GWR and a Southern

Those of you who have been keeping up will have spotted a notable lack of LMS amongst all this. So might we expect to see some LMS locos (or at least one) announced on the 17th?

Dean

ModelRail released a photo of their next edition today due to be published on the 17th - the same day when Hornby do their announcement. Coincidence?

The cover says "5 new Hornby models". This could be the Radial, 71, horse box, tipper and LMS suburbans.

But it could also refer to 5 new locos. Now as some copies tend to arrive at people's door steps before publication date, I hope they are not at risk of spilling the beans again ;-)))

• RMweb Premium

Surely not! Model Rail have a track record of this. Hopefully it gets announced to all on the 17th and we don't have this ridiculous I know but I can't tell you approach that we have seen before, with people being barred from talking about it!

ModelRail released a photo of their next edition today due to be published on the 17th - the same day when Hornby do their announcement. Coincidence?

Well, it's not coincidence, Model Rail (and other magazines) probably have had an embargo put on them about the announcement, so they won't be able to publish with the news until Hornby announces its intentions. 

It's sounds silly as they have already announced some models at Warley, but there could be extra models we don't know of yet and will be revealed on the 17th.

Simon

Guest Belgian

Surely all we have to do to see what else Hornby will be announcing is to look back at other producers' recent announcements - except Hattons and Oxford of course . . . (ducks* and runs) . . . :jester:  :devil:

JE

* they've already done the ducks of course.

Rovex: I wish to register a complaint

Mod: Sorry we're closed

Rovex: Never mind that my lad. When I entered this thread not more than half an hour ago you told me the reason it was so quiet was because it was tired and sh###ed out after a long post.

Mod: That's right sir

Rovex: When I got home I took the liberty of examining this thread. Its dead

Mod: No its not its resting.

Rovex: its not resting. Its bl##ding demised. Its pushed off this mortal coil and gone to join the choir invisible. It is an ex thread

And so on.

For modellers of a certain age and comedic inclination

Rovex: its not resting. Its bl##ding demised. Its pushed off this mortal coil and gone to join the choir invisible. It is an ex thread.

Indeed with a full ten days to go no less. Quite remarkable really.

I'm more put in mind of this one:

Ozexpatriate: ... Good Morning. I was sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through 'The Golden Valley Line, Past and Present' by one Capt. Kernow, when suddenly I had an inclination to purchase a model railway locomotive.

Shopkeeper: .... Inclination, sir?

Ozexpatriate: ... Compulsion.

Ozexpatriate: ... Now my good man, a model railway locomotive, please.

Shopkeeper: .... Yes certainly, sir. What would you like?

Ozexpatriate: ... Well, how about a Hall?

Shopkeeper: .... I'm, afraid we're fresh out of Halls, sir.

Ozexpatriate: ... Oh, never mind. How are you on West Countries, say Exeter?

Shopkeeper: .... Never at the end of the week, sir. Always get it fresh first thing on Monday.

Ozexpatriate: ... Tish tish. No matter. Well, how about Caerphilly Castle, then, if you please, stout yeoman.

Shopkeeper: .... Ah well, it's been on order for fifty weeks, sir, I was expecting it this morning.

Ozexpatriate: ... Yes, it's not my day, is it? Er, a J15?

Shopkeeper: .... Sorry.

Ozexpatriate: ... Duke of Gloucester?

Shopkeeper: .... Normally, sir, yes, but today the van broke down.

Ozexpatriate: ... Ah. K1?

Shopkeeper: .... Sorry.

Ozexpatriate: ... Drummond Black Motor?

Shopkeeper: .... No.

(I could go on and on.)

Everyone knows the rest and it ends rather sadly for the shopkeeper, something that I don't wish our our retailers, they've been through enough already.

I will say that next time that Andy engages with us to ask Nat Southworth some questions, I am tempted to use a Hungarian phrase book.

(I won't though.)

Ozexpatriate: ... Tish tish. No matter. Well, how about Caerphilly Castle, then, if you please, stout yeoman.

So glad you got the cheese reference in. It seems like only yesterday...

Porcy

Well, if we are taking about the forcoming news I am guessing this morphs this thread into the prediction of what is coming (not wishlisting!)

Given changes in the market have forced Hornby to annouce models in advance Id say we already know this.

New Models:

Locomotives:

1. GW Region King Class

2. Adams Radial Tank

3. Class 71

Coaches:

4. LMS Suburbans

Wagons

5. Midland Horse Box.

6. 21T Hopper

Hornby normally announce one new coach range a year, as a result I can not see others being announced. I would think its possible for another locomotive to be done, but given how the diesel market is saturated, and the 71 in some quarters might still be considered 'modern image' as its diesel and electric, I think it rules out another diesel or eletric model, even if its clearly more transition period than anything else. I also think any new engine wont be Midland. Bachmann have a number of models coming for this area, and Hornby have done many of the express transition period machines. I think they will steer clear. Given the Adams is Southern, the King Western I am leaning towards another Eastern machine. While I would think that a B16 might be a long shot, and Im ignoring the calls and hints of a duplicated Q6, I think Hornby might be on course for a V2 hence duplication with Bachmann. Green Arrow would be a nice NRM tie in, and the engine is a mixed traffic to passenger engine. Theres also the chance of putting it to the standard of the Hornby A3 and A4. So Im going with that. If its not going to be the V2, then the other option would be S15.

I think however there might be a new unit. Im thinking of something 2nd Generation and as a result class 156. This would be a sure seller and much wanted. It would mean retiring the current one from the production runs but it would be a move worth making. It has been absent to my knowledge recently a sign of Hornby thinking of its replacement. Its that or Im wrong and its current Limby carnation will be back.

I also think Hornby have a massive product range, that some engines now have tooling so old they are no longer relavent or jusitfiable given the prices. This will see the ranges slimmed down, a difference between Railroad and the main range cleared and reinstated. Design Clever will be quietly and subtly not mentioned, having been an own goal, even if production might use some techniques still. Odd engies might try to bridge the void, but these will be a continuation of present topics. Mainly the P2, A1 etc.

More will be made with the Scaledale range. I can see more being put towards a modern image station in the style of one thats been splendidly restored to modern standards. Old buildings but with a new lease of life. Of course predicting this is like trying to do a weather forecast for a years time. In which case Im going for overcast, moderate north westerly breze, and temperatures with highest of 6 and about freezing at night. Chance of rain late afternoon too.

Of the present range that Hornby offer, I can see some reliveries being done, with Hornby capitalising on recent developments on the real network faster than last year.

Class 60 - Colas. DB Schenker, Transrail

Class 56 - Colas, DCR Green, Fertis Grey

Class 31 - DCR Green, Network rail yellow. Intericty Swallow.

I think it might leave those wanting early diesels a bit short, but Hornby are best to capitalise on a number of changes with the current operations. Think almost did it last year, but I can see them pushing for it this time round.

HST sets. Intercity Swallow could do with another run, I think others will see a East Coast Grey, one of the earlier First Great Western liveries, maybe fag packet green.

Current models of the Limby 66 will remain. I can see Colas, DB Schenker and GBRf being done, even if the latter has wrong body for it. Class 47s would see the Riveria one done in blue, one maybe in WCRC, even if they are not as good as Bachmanns.

Slam door stock EMU-thingy type things will come back in NSE and later liveries. Some might get a re-run in transtion green.

As for steam, Im not going to go through the whole list.  

5043 done as a set and continuing the idea of steam engines and support coaches. (Typical as Ive converted one).

You can bet Braunton gets done too as ive converted that one as well.

B17 sales might be stalling, so cue the popular names. Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle United if not already done...

I reckon an A3 with double chimney, deflectors and GN tender too.

K1 might see 62005 announced, or even 2005 in Apple Green as a link to NELPG.

As for coaches, I think they will stick with their mk2d. I think Virgin red and black is coming, as is Anglica turquoise. Wagon would see a new container wagon made to boost the range they have there.

So Im not wishlisting as I dont want all of whats above, but thats my guess anyway. Time to wait and see what happens, but not long now....

Slam door stock EMU-thingy type things will come back in NSE and later liveries. Some might get a re-run in transtion green.

Which EMU do you think they'll do in NSE livery? I didn't think they'd produced any slam-door EMU stuff beyond the blue-era 2-BIL?

You can bet Braunton gets done too as ive converted that one as well.

As in the current preserved example of 34046? I certainly hope so! Something I've mentioned as highly desirable (well for me anyway!) to Simon Kohler a few times too.

Which EMU do you think they'll do in NSE livery? I didn't think they'd produced any slam-door EMU stuff beyond the blue-era 2-BIL?

As in the current preserved example of 34046? I certainly hope so! Something I've mentioned as highly desirable (well for me anyway!) to Simon Kohler a few times too.

Im just guessing! Most of what I wrote could still be wrong. Im thinking that the 4-VEP might be a model that could be done in NSE. But then I know even less about these than I do Southern engines.

As for my model of Braunton, Ive swapped it with a Merchant Navy tender, but you can guess they do the other tender varient and thus how it is on Mainline at present.....

Im just guessing! Most of what I wrote could still be wrong. Im thinking that the 4-VEP might be a model that could be done in NSE. But then I know even less about these than I do Southern engines.

As for my model of Braunton, Ive swapped it with a Merchant Navy tender, but you can guess they do the other tender varient and thus how it is on Mainline at present.....

Ah...of course...the 4-VEP! I'd forgotten all about that one!  :blush: I held off buying any of them due to the medicore reception it received. Didn't they do that in NSE livery? Maybe if they make improvements to it (the main criticisms were traction tyres and a poor representation of the cab ends IIRC) I might be tempted by the blue/grey and possibly NSE if that comes out again with corrections/improvements.

As for Braunton, now that loco in its current preserved form I'm sure would be popular. I'm really hoping they announce it for 2015!

Ah...of course...the 4-VEP! I'd forgotten all about that one!  :blush: I held off buying any of them due to the medicore reception it received. Didn't they do that in NSE livery? Maybe if they make improvements to it (the main criticisms were traction tyres and a poor representation of the cab ends IIRC) I might be tempted by the blue/grey and possibly NSE if that comes out again with corrections/improvements.

As for Braunton, now that loco in its current preserved form I'm sure would be popular. I'm really hoping they announce it for 2015!

Hi,

Yes indeed Hornby have done the 4-VEP in revised NSE with the darker blue - i've got an,as yet, unused one in stock ready for future use.

Due to the less than perfect cab ends of the Hornby unit i'm giving some thought to replacing the ends with MJT cast versions having compared those for my 4-CIG and 4-TC. If not a full replacement of the ends perhaps just the gangway sections.

Regards

I was at my local model shop a few days ago and it was interesting that they had received a Hornby order form for the Warley announcements - Radial tanks, hoppers and LMS horse boxes, with a required ordering date that meant he couldn't leave the order until the rest of the 2015 announcements are made in 8 days time. Seems Hornby are keen/desperate to tie up orders. As he said though, relating to the Radial, if the Oxford model is better than the Hornby version, he can always reduce or cancel the Hornby order. 

• RMweb Gold

I was at my local model shop a few days ago and it was interesting that they had received a Hornby order form for the Warley announcements - Radial tanks, hoppers and LMS horse boxes, with a required ordering date that meant he couldn't leave the order until the rest of the 2015 announcements are made in 8 days time. Seems Hornby are keen/desperate to tie up orders. As he said though, relating to the Radial, if the Oxford model is better than the Hornby version, he can always reduce or cancel the Hornby order. 

Hornby's reported dealings of late smell of a business not in the best of states, desperate for cash flow and evidence of ongoing order book to please the bean counters at the bank.

Archived