Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Strickly speaking this one has been modelled before by Airfix, them mainline then Dapol and Hornby. However, I will look forward to this as my Hornby ones do not run well after converting to DCC and might even replace both of them.

• RMweb Gold

Strickly speaking this one has been modelled before by Airfix, them mainline then Dapol and Hornby. However, I will look forward to this as my Hornby ones do not run well after converting to DCC and might even replace both of them.

The old Airfix model was of it's time. Nothing wrong per se, but the 'take it or leave it' approach has been superseded by a buying public that (hopefully) have a greater wish for a better model. After all, there is a variation whereby I don't need to hack the bl**dy topfeed off. Who would have forseen that?

I don't know what Dave & Hattons have got arranged with the chassis, but it opens the door for a 517 class, and possibly, a 'metro'. Now, I would very, very definitely, be in for a couple of those, especially the 'large tank variety'. It would appear that we are only limited by our imagination, and the depth of our wallets....

Roll on

Ian 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am on tablets and branflakes to eliminate the muck 'n grime syndrome. Listed side effects are Ripitupytis, Gresleysfersale and Selloffyer-LMS. With my antibodies crushed, I have been told a recurring attack of Swindonitis was inevitable seeing as I had it as a child. This little 0-4-2T has come at a good time!   :sungum:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

Cock up - have corrected my list

[EDIT] which is a bit of a bu99er because I've just got rid of the top feed on a body! 1450 didn't have a top feed, or have I got that wrong as well?

[ANOTHER EDIT] Lesson in how to mis-file pix and use the wrong prototype photo! I mixed 1450, 1462 and 1442. (insert expletive of choice here)

Edited by Coombe Barton

Hi John,

I'l be looking at 1466 for Mortonhampstead which had a top feed. There may be an alternative number I could use.

1452 and 1472 were both Newton Abbot loco's without top feeds that ventured to Moretonhampstead. 1472 also received lined green.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

1452 and 1472 were both Newton Abbot loco's without top feeds that ventured to Moretonhampstead. 1472 also received lined green.

Regards,

Andy.

Thank you Andy, that's very useful information. Looks like I'l renumber to 1472!

Thank you Andy, that's very useful information. Looks like I'l renumber to 1472!

Hi David,

I can give you a bit more info on 1472 that may be useful. She was at Newton Abbot from Feb 56 until Nov 58 having arrived from South Wales in plain black. Following a Heavy Casual in Newton Factory she emerged on 26 October 1957 in lined green with the early crest! Whilst it is unusual for loco's to get the early crest this late, I have seen written evidence from two sources that indicate Newton suffered from a shortage of late crest transfers in late 1957. I have photo's of two other ex-works tank engines around this time wearing the early crest, so it is likely 1472 was so adorned.

What is certain is that by April 1958 she had received the late crests following a remedial stoppage. Although 1472 spent most of her time whilst at 83A working the Brixham branch, there are photo's of her on Moretonhampstead trains as well.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

I can give you a bit more info on 1472 that may be useful. She was at Newton Abbot from Feb 56 until Nov 58 having arrived from South Wales in plain black. Following a Heavy Casual in Newton Factory she emerged on 26 October 1957 in lined green with the early crest! Whilst it is unusual for loco's to get the early crest this late, I have seen written evidence from two sources that indicate Newton suffered from a shortage of late crest transfers in late 1957. I have photo's of two other ex-works tank engines around this time wearing the early crest, so it is likely 1472 was so adorned.

What is certain is that by April 1958 she had received the late crests following a remedial stoppage. Although 1472 spent most of her time whilst at 83A working the Brixham branch, there are photo's of her on Moretonhampstead trains as well.

Regards,

Andy.

Excellent, many thanks.  :thankyou:

• 1 month later...

Wow. That cab detail is amazing. It's all very impressive.

Thanks Andy for relaying the information.

Kudos to Hattons for sharing and communicating.

Nice work Dave!

Late 2015 would be delightful.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Very impressive indeed. Congratulations to DJM for a fine job and kudos to Hattons for taking this project on. I wish both parties every success, they both deserve it.

• RMweb Gold

I've just had an update from Hattons on the 14xx, very impressed with the detail levels especially at the front and it's crying out to have the coupler mounting removed on purchase. :)

attachicon.gif3 quarter view.jpg

attachicon.gifcab.jpg

attachicon.giffront.jpg

attachicon.gifrear 3 quarter view.jpg

attachicon.gifside.jpg

(Click to enlarge images)

Exquist!

However if Hattons persist in using Yodel as a preferred courier I fear a lot of these could arrive in kit form!

I looked at it, and it didn't look quite right; a little 'heavy' at the front end. Suspect that the driver and fireman's 'lunchboxes' beside the front splashers are somewhat oversize for height and width..

I think if you look at the pictures posted earlier, including my own back in post 73, you will see that there is quite a gap between the inside of the splashers and the boiler which is not present on the CADs (see the full frontal view). And the splashers are "thinner".  Now I am guessing that this might have something to do with the compromises inherent in OO where the wheels are, of course, closer together than they should be? I seem to recall that you will find the same thing on all previous incarnations of the 14xx?  Otherwise, I don't think the boxes are necessarily too high in relation to the splashers or the steps on the tank fronts.  But I kind of think this might be some kind of "nitpicking" given the track gauge (most?) of us choose to use?  Others are more expert than I to comment really.  I still like the look of it, don't you?

Richard