Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

The pic I posted a little earlier was also, along with a load of others, sent to Dave a couple of months back. They were all of 1442 in Tiverton Museum which I visited in 2012. Dave sent them to China.

Arguably 1442 would be the least altered of the four preserved 1400s as it has not been in service since withdrawal whereas the others have seen regular use - 1420, 1450 and 1466 have all been in preservation service.

Nevertheless people are arguing about stuff that's mostly hidden in the cab and wouldn't have been reproduced a few years back. If anyone has pix of 14/48xx Cab interiors in service then I'm sure Dave would very much like to see them. However as they've about as common as rocking horse manure all we have to go on is the preserved engines and the GA drawing in MRJ 1.

Unless, of course, we have anyone around who drove the class in service - but the last one was withdrawn fifty years ago.

I just wonder what's the point in overmuch argument on something where there is evidence obtainable and, which really can't detract from what promises to be a truly superb model.

And let's just say that if it weren't for people like Dave and his commercial partners we wouldn't be able to have this argument anyway as things of this quality wouldn't be produced.

• Like 1

People are talking about preserved 14XX locos as if for some obscure reason the various preservation teams have altered the position of the regulator handle. The regulator guide has to pass through the water space above the fire tubes and inner firebox to the regulator valvebox. It cannot be altered on a whim and so it is my guess that one only need look at a 14XX in preservation and Bob's yer uncle.

• RMweb Premium

It is my view that the CAD images were released for the following reasons a: to show what has been achieved with the design b: for comments.

Looking at the Cab Interier it was glaringly obvious (without reference to prototype photographs) that the regulator handle was not right. The Driver would have to get on his hands and knees to open it!

Although it may be difficult to see inside the cab of the 14xx, DJh are still proud (quite rightly so) of what they have achieved. As the regulator was in my view a glaring error, is this any different if they were to show a Deltic Console?

In future I will not bother to comment.

Very shortly the plaintive cry will be "but why did no one spot the error? The CADs were displayed for all to see".

Don't be put off, Pannier Tank/David. In my book, a person with a sharp eye is worth more than a dozen "Looks gr8 m8".

• RMweb Gold

Nobody seems to be willing to firm up their opinions (see Post 302), so I've had a go myself by comparing the CAD image with the cab interior shot of 1442.

If it were scaled up to full size, it could not lie in the position shown. If moved up to the top of its travel or even to the horizontal, it would foul the reverser casing.

Altering the height of the pivot wouldn't change that and there is a tantalizing hint at the bottom edge of the prototype photo that the right corner of the shelf has a cut-out to allow the lever to reach the lower limit of its travel. That suggests that the angle of the lever shown in the CAD is achievable on the real thing.

I have therefore concluded that the lever in the CAD image is simply too long.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Few points re the position of the 14XX regulator.

The 1442 picture may be misleading as it only shows the top half of the backhead (from the tea caddy shelf up)

I cannot see the auto gear linkage. Has it been removed?

The regulator is open, how far down would the handle go to be shut (as I assume the CAD image is)?

Edited by nigel newling

• RMweb Gold

Few points re the position of the 14XX regulator.

The 1442 picture may be misleading as it only shows the top half of the backhead (from the tea caddy shelf up)

I cannot see the auto gear linkage. Has it been removed?

The regulator is open, how far down would the handle go to be shut (as I assume the CAD image is)?

Looking at the position of the pin in the quadrant above it, I assumed it to be half open; or am I misinterpreting how the handle moves?

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Any Southern modellers looking for an excuse to buy one might like this photo of 1442 taken on the Seaton branch.

attachicon.gifimage-1.jpeg

Lovely, the short-term return to steam in 1965 due to shortage of DMUs. I rode it several times while I had the chance.

I have 1450 (the other participant) on order already.

Mind you, that bit of the Southern was part of the Western Region by then............

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He doesn't want a High Level one.

I would really like to put one of these on a High Level chassis (if my current quest for a Perseverance kit doesn't work), but it's a lot to pay nearly £100 for one of these, 40-odd for the chassis plus motor, wheels etc., as Hattons say they don't plan to sell the body shells separately.

Maybe eventually one could sell the DJ chassis?

• 2 weeks later...

I would really like to put one of these on a High Level chassis (if my current quest for a Perseverance kit doesn't work), but it's a lot to pay nearly £100 for one of these, 40-odd for the chassis plus motor, wheels etc., as Hattons say they don't plan to sell the body shells separately.

Maybe eventually one could sell the DJ chassis?

Given that DJM's policy is to make all spares available (see their website for the Beattie Well Tank spares sheet), you might yet be able to buy body components.

• 2 weeks later...

Given that DJM's policy is to make all spares available (see their website for the Beattie Well Tank spares sheet), you might yet be able to buy body components.

I did ask DJ, but they said it's up to Hatton's and I had to ask them. Maybe that will change at some time.

Just had e-mail notification for my pre-order.Telling me the models i ordered will be available  

Between Jan-March 2016. 

Me too! H1401, 'Great Western' 4825, Southall shed.  :locomotive:

Dad will like that, him being a Southall lad, and Southall footbridge 'copper' (that's from before the term 'train spotting' was coined...). He would have seen it many times before the war. Sadly his eyesight's failing now (AMD), so he won't be able to fully appreciate it, more's the pity..   

• Like 1