Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

That really is rather good to say the very least!

It absolutely captures the 'look' and it's especially pleasing to see the smokebox door really does look like the real thing as if this is wrong it can ruin the whole effect.

The only area I can find fault with is the cab interior. There are two gauge frames when surely there should only be one? I think some of the control valves on the top of the backhead need attention as well. To be really critical this engine will be unabe to stop as the vacuum brake handle is missing. Possibly it was missing on the original during scanning? Maybe 'Castle' could confirm these details?

I'm also agreeing with Andy Y that the front coupling mount needs to be made removable.

But hey, this looks a fantastic model and if all we can critisise are tiny details in that cab... Yah, boo, sucks, to the doubters I say! I hope they're chokeing on they're dinner right now!

T

• RMweb Premium

Yes my Dapol N 27 was thrown over my side gate as I was out! It's about 2m high but thanks to good packaging and packing it survived. I've asked Hatton's to use Royal Mail in future, even though it might mean collecting from the sorting office occasionally.

Dave I think you should visit a 14xx before you start cutting metal.  The cab detail is all wrong and does not represent a Collet backhead as on 1466 which is a standard Collet design backhead.  Back in the distant grimy/smoky days of the early 80's I was commissioned to build a model of this loco in 7mm scale so a spent an enjoyable Sunday afternoon with a friend climbing all over the engine at Didcot measuring and photographing it.  I would offer the file to you but I lent it to someone else who has since passed away.

I suggest you spend a bit of time going over 1450, which I believe is on the Forest of Dean Railway and is fitted with working auto mech.  I would suggest contacting them first as the loco is privately owned.

Also some years back the Great Western Journal ran an article on 14xx's complete with a works drawing which might be of use.

Loconuts

I've no idea how representative 1442 is (we all know stuff gets messed around with in preservation, and GWR standardisation wasn't all it was cracked up to be in the first place...) but there's a reasonable shot of her backhead on flickr.

Edited by brianthesnail96

Compared to the photo a few posts above the CAD, the topfeed looks too big and appears to have vertical sides where the photo shows them quite obviously angled. As one who won't be cutting it off, it would be nice not to have to take a file to it.

CHRIS LEIGH

Oh Oh, not the top feed problem again? Although it was not too bad a job to remove it on the old Dapol/Hornby version.  Are there some Hattons 48xx/58xx versions being made where it is not part of the boiler casting?  I would hope we would have progressed to the point that it is an add on including it's piping.

Ok I went back to the chart of versions in the original posting. Yes there are 48xx/58xx versions scheduled without topfeed.  Any idea in what order the versions will come?

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

I've no idea how representative 1442 is (we all know stuff gets messed around with in preservation, and GWR standardisation wasn't all it was cracked up to be in the first place...) but there's a reasonable shot of her backhead on flickr.

As 1442 is 'stuffed and mounted' in a museum rather than being kept running on a heritage railway, I would expect it to be a straight restoration of whatever mechanical condition it was in when it came out of BR service (so far as I know, it didn't arrive via a breakers yard so is unlikely to be a 'bitza').

The GWR seems to have been very good at standardising parts to make them interchangeable but a good deal less fastidious about ensuring uniform practice when it came to repair work.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The classic stuffed and mounted loco is, of course 46235, City of Birmingham, and the curators at "Stinktank" claim the loco has not been touched since arriving from Crewe via Nuneaton.  So I concur that 1442 may be more representative than those that have been "rebuilt" since withdrawal.

... there is quite a gap between the inside of the splashers and the boiler which is not present on the CADs (see the full frontal view). And the splashers are "thinner".  Now I am guessing that this might have something to do with the compromises inherent in OO where the wheels are, of course, closer together than they should be? I seem to recall that you will find the same thing on all previous incarnations of the 14xx?...

The idea of this model is to be better than any previous available. Now the OO compromises won't allow the splashers to be absolutely correct, but it can still be better than previous by having a 1mm gap between the smokebox saddle upstand and the inside edge of the splasher. This would mean leaving the splasher back open, a compromise successfully used on many RTR OO models.

Comparing to photos, including the one that starts this thread, the overall width over those boxes beside the front splashers looks excessive to me - this dimension should be narrower than overall width over the tank sides - , and the top of the box slightly high compared to the splasher peak. I am nowhere near a prototype to go and run a tape over, but the photos tell enough to say this with confidence.

...  I still like the look of it, don't you?...

Generally it does look good. One of the problems that comes with this is that aspects that are not up to the general goodness level on view elsewhere stand out like sore thumbs - another example being the NEM pocket - it's about consistency overall.

• RMweb Gold

Generally it does look good. One of the problems that comes with this is that aspects that are not up to the general goodness level on view elsewhere stand out like sore thumbs - another example being the NEM pocket - it's about consistency overall.

The NEM pocket is what it is, being made to (hopefully) comply with an established standard, so is something that must either be tolerated or removed by the buyer.

Fortunately, that is generally not difficult.  

Personally, I just hope that any body fixing screws will be located well back from the buffer beams to allow me to fit my preferred couplings without blocking access to them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

One of my pet peaves on the old Airfix model is the front cab windows, along with the smokebox door, totally ruined the look of the loco. The front of this one is light years better. Looking forward to seeing this progress with the help of the feedback on here.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Latest CADs for the 14xx on Facebook now. Even better than the last. The toolbox looks like it's better proportioned and placed. The cab interior looks even more fabulous. Unbelievable on a OO gauge loco

Indeed looks very good, especially the Cab, some nice detail in areas worth a look:

You wait for CADs and 2 come along at once! Here are the latest images from our 14xx project. They show what we consider to be a complete locomotive and the detail is exceptional.
There are some details on this that have never before been included on a ready-to-run small engine and some that have never been seen in ready-to-run at all. The smokebox door even features an etched number fixed with the correct brackets, not molded on!
https://www.facebook.com/hattonsmodelcentre
Edited by Bluebell Model Railway

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't going to get one of these as I already have an old Airfix one and a Mainly Trains detailing kit squirreled away for a bit of old fashioned modelling.

But that looks so good I might just weaken.

• Like 1

Arrghhhh!!! I have a real problem with this model...

There is absolutely NO REASON for me to have one, it doesn't fit in at all for me :(

But I WANT ONE!!!!! It looks delightful, I don't even care if there are a couple of rivets out of place, looks like a great offering - guess I will have to invoke rule #1 :senile:

• Like 1