Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

I've got H1416 #1409 ordered with DCC Sound, super excited and can't wait for October, I'm sensing a pattern on which models willl be released first from the Austrrites that got released a few weeks ago that some of the pristine ones are gonna be released first as they don't need the additional weathering done before release.

I've seen enough ........... I'm going to  cancel my order .... that numberplate issue is totally off putting ..... I don't understand why a company would use such photos to promote sales ... they have had the opposite effect as far as I'm concerned.

Have ordered a Hornby Adams Radial in LSWR instead

I've seen enough ........... I'm going to  cancel my order .... that numberplate issue is totally off putting ..... I don't understand why a company would use such photos to promote sales ... they have had the opposite effect as far as I'm concerned.

That really is good news: it means another one available for those of us who are less hysterical about such things.

Another model that has a small wiring issue with it, easily fixable.

• Like 1

To be honest I won't be ordering one either, the wheels are not actually the correct scale width apart! These engines seem to run on a scale track of around 4foot1.5inches but the real gauge is 4foot 8.5 inches, that is a whole 7 inches short! it's disgraceful how such a fundamental error can occur. It makes the whole thing look totally wrong and DJ models should be totally ashamed to have made a huge mistake like this...

(For those who don't know me, above is sarcasm, I think this is a wonderful piece of kit and looks the part, I wish every success to it's sales and those who buy it. The way the plates are done will make it easier than ever to easily renumber an example to have a unique loco. I shall not be buying because it's the wrong scale for me, but as soon as the N gauge stuff appears, provided it's this quality or better, I will be buying.)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

To be honest I won't be ordering one either, the wheels are not actually the correct scale width apart! These engines seem to run on a scale track of around 4foot1.5inches but the real gauge is 4foot 8.5 inches, that is a whole 7 inches short! it's disgraceful how such a fundamental error can occur. It makes the whole thing look totally wrong and DJ models should be totally ashamed to have made a huge mistake like this...

(For those who don't know me, above is sarcasm, I think this is a wonderful piece of kit and looks the part, I wish every success to it's sales and those who buy it. The way the plates are done will make it easier than ever to easily renumber an example to have a unique loco. I shall not be buying because it's the wrong scale for me, but as soon as the N gauge stuff appears, provided it's this quality or better, I will be buying.)

Dan, you should be well aware that sarcasm has no place on these forums. These are serious issues that people need to voice their opinion about as some such opinions are the only ones that matter! Please remember this in future.

(Following on from Dan, this is also sarcasm. Surely we are called modellers for a reason?)

Dear me, I didn't expect such a reaction. Allow me to explain my position.

(Following on from Dan, this is also sarcasm. Surely we are called modellers for a reason?)

I am what I would like to think of as a modeller, but I don't model OO and I don't model British. So this was destined for my showcase ... it was to be last year's Xmas present from my wife.

So I just want a loco that looks nice in my showcase ...... I don't want to spend time/money on it . Out of the box into the showcase ... looks pretty ... job done!

Now I don't care about bunker steps  or 4ft 1 1/2 inch gauge or the like ..... 99.99% of people who will ever look at the model in my showcase won't have a clue about bunker steps or the like, but 100% of them can tell if something that is supposed to be level is wonky!

That's all .. the end.

Now you have me scratching my head!!!

You list the things that do not bother you which is most, and now say that 100% of people can tell if something is wonky. The model has not been released yet, yet you are saying the number is wonky so you will not buy one.......

:scratchhead: :scratchhead:Now you have completely lost me!

Khris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We have received revised samples from DJ models with new, larger, plates which completely fit the recess and are completely straight.  We are now happy with how they look and there are just a few minor things to get right before we can go ahead with them.  We are also sorting out the weathering masters and will show them when we have them.  Rest assured, neither us nor DJ models will accept any numberplates fitted incorrectly.

post-28458-0-57457800-1472201575_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I for one see recesses for etched numberplates on a par with outer swivelling trucks on the Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R, and I wonder whose idea they were?  DJM locomotives are an unknown quantity to me at the moment and so I await the arrival of Hattons GWR 0-4-2T with some trepidation.

Hi all,

We have received revised samples from DJ models with new, larger, plates which completely fit the recess and are completely straight.  We are now happy with how they look and there are just a few minor things to get right before we can go ahead with them.  We are also sorting out the weathering masters and will show them when we have them.  Rest assured, neither us nor DJ models will accept any numberplates fitted incorrectly.

attachicon.gifIMG_0003.JPG

Plates which completely fit the recess? Sorry Dave but if we are meant to go by the single photo which you have posted I can quite clearly still see a gap around the numberplate. The effect is toylike.

Plates which completely fit the recess? Sorry Dave but if we are meant to go by the single photo which you have posted I can quite clearly still see a gap around the numberplate. The effect is toylike.

Is your eyesight so good that just because you can see what you think is a gap (and not shadowing) on an image that is umpteen times larger that the model will actually be, you will be able to see it on the real model at a sensible viewing distance without any use of magnification?  As far as I can see from that image, it looks rather like a real plate in that the raised outer 'bead' and numbers are in brass finish, while the surrounding area is in black, just as the real thing. 

Like this (except the outer part on this example is painted green here, not black):

post-2090-0-68592900-1472211577.png

• Like 3

Hi all,

Oh no! There goes next years loco budget! How could you do this to me. Now I will have to order one. As If I am not in enough trouble already with 'priorities'. :)

Looks fantastic.

Is your eyesight so good that just because you can see what you think is a gap (and not shadowing) on an image that is umpteen times larger that the model will actually be, you will be able to see it on the real model at a sensible viewing distance without any use of magnification?  As far as I can see from that image, it looks rather like a real plate in that the raised outer 'bead' and numbers are in brass finish, while the surrounding area is in black, just as the real thing. 

Like this (except the outer part on this example is painted green here, not black):

I will admit that my eyesight is not of the best. However the lighting of the plate on Hatton's Dave's photo seems to be direct and not taken from an oblique angle which would rule out any shadowing. The gap (if there is one) is greater at the top than it is at the bottom. 

This may be an optical illusion from Hatton's Dave's photo, but the whole plate appears to be recessed too far into the body of the model loco Your thumbnail photo clearly shows that the whole plate should stand proud of the side of the loco and, if I am right about the recessing, I think this would be noticeable on the model when viewed even at normal distances, particularly obliquely. Anyway, some people like to view their models close up,so I'm sorry but I stand by my original comments.

As apparently he has the model, perhaps Hatton's Dave has a comment on this?

• RMweb Gold

It's such a shame that such a fine model has been spoiled by such a silly idea, particularly given the manufuture and commissioning agent have been advised such with plenty of time to accept it was a poor choice and move on. I note that DJM are not proposing the same approach for names on their class 92, so clearly it's possible to glue a name on in the traditional way.

if the 48 or 58xx ran through Brent, I'd be looking in a bit more detail as to how to fix it. As it is, they didn't so given I already have a heavily rebuilt airfix / high level for Kites Croft, I will be giving it a miss. The King however is a different story, and with a need for 1 or 2 more kings at a minimum I live in hope that they change the design (otherwise it will likely be a couple more Hornby locos added...)

Maybe somebody can start a cottage industry supplying 3 D printed number plates for engines not in the current Hattons choices or in liveries that are not the ones you want. 100-200 numbers a print and you get your choice.

Make them a little bit oversize so they can be filed down to a very tight fit. 

How easy will the number plate be to remove. It would be nice if it were a press fit that could be popped out. Held i place by tacky glue? By the way I think the recessed number plates for GWR origin engines was a stroke of genius. Allows them to be molded as part of the manufacturing process rather than printed on paper or requiring you to go to another vendor for the etched number plate that is not deep enough. And you only have to mold one new part to get a whole different run of engines. Other railways more sensibly just painted the numbers on or used decals.

Coachman

I have the Kernow Beattie Well Tank and Adams O2 which are DJM products that are excellent.  I would not consider them an unknown quantity. Like any other RTR product there are issues. The angle of the handrail stanchions on the Hornby 700 come to mind. Nearly all of of us get over these issues. 

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Can we have a photo of correctly fitted number plates so we can get a better idea of what the finished product will look like?.

Isn't there one in post 615?

Khris

I think there is some confusion here

Yes, there is a photo in post 615 and 81c has obviously seen it as his post (#625) refers to it. The issue is that Hattons say in post 615 that there are some issues to correct before they go to production and it's not clear if they mean issues with the plates or elsewhere.

I have re-read post 615 and I interpret it that  Hattons/Dave are happy with the plates as shown in 615 and any issues are elsewhere. However, there are some here that feel that that the photo in 615 show that the plate issue is NOT dealt with to our satisfaction..... or at the very least we await more details/photos to prove our scepticism unfounded.

• RMweb Gold

Isn't there one in post 615?

Khris

It doesn't look like it in my opinion with that uneven gap around the number plate, Hattons said they would address the problem, in that case that photo looks like it's not one of the finished products. Simples.

I think there is some confusion here

Yes, there is a photo in post 615 and 81c has obviously seen it as his post (#625) refers to it. The issue is that Hattons say in post 615 that there are some issues to correct before they go to production and it's not clear if they mean issues with the plates or elsewhere.

I have re-read post 615 and I interpret it that  Hattons/Dave are happy with the plates as shown in 615 and any issues are elsewhere. However, there are some here that feel that that the photo in 615 show that the plate issue is NOT dealt with to our satisfaction..... or at the very least we await more details/photos to prove our scepticism unfounded.

Lets hope they are not happy with those plates I for one would not part with cash for model in that condition. .

Edited by 81C

Is your eyesight so good that just because you can see what you think is a gap (and not shadowing) on an image that is umpteen times larger that the model will actually be, you will be able to see it on the real model at a sensible viewing distance without any use of magnification?  As far as I can see from that image, it looks rather like a real plate in that the raised outer 'bead' and numbers are in brass finish, while the surrounding area is in black.

Hope no one minds me getting into the conversation...

Firstly I think it's a superb model, however I don't model the GWR and I don't need one. Overall the loco is very impressive and all that, like many others I personally don't feel the recessed portion to fit nameplates was a good idea. However It's none of my business.

Secondly I just wanted to make a small observation regarding Coppercap's post...

1) Shadowing, if you want to bring up the topic of shadowing...atleast ensure you've studied the picture right. Clearly from the image the light source is on the top-left corner (see the pic I posted). Clearly in the picture all shadows are falling below (below and right) the extruded areas whereas your so called shadowing around the plate is just the opposite as the thicker outline is on exactly the opposite top-left parts of the plate. And lastly shadows will NEVER be so dark and well defined.

post-27484-0-40374600-1472648397.jpg

Colour Code:

Yellow: Light rays

Brown: Shadowed regions

Black: Where shadows should be!

2) Yes I agree, a highly magnified image doesn't help in this situation and something must be posted to show the overall appearance. The close-up hasn't made anything better.

3) Nope, it doesn't look like the real thing...It looks just like a model, just the way it should be.

It's very much obvious that a number of potential customers dislike what they see regarding the nameplate, DJM/Hattons should've acted upon it because there's a quite a bit of negativity surrounding that one aspect of an otherwise excellent model.

• Like 1