Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

My long-awaited 1444 arrived today.  All chipped and run in it seems to work very smoothly indeed.  It serves well as a reminder of last day of trains on the Wallingford branch under BR, although of course in pristine form it is a good deal cleaner than the 1444 that I photographed back in the 1950s! 

• Like 7

The scrap line on my layout. Two Airfix and one K's - all non-runners. The Airfix ones appear to be the old plunger pick-up problem. The K's - probably there isn't sufficient power in the village to turn the motor over but it does have a nice, apparently plated safety valve cover! PM me if you're interested, otherwise they'll be on their way to the scrapman next week. (CJL) 

post-1062-0-17275400-1489775202_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That'll save manufacturers a few bob in the future. "Accepting whatever-you-care-to-throw-at-us Standards".

So in the space of one model DJM has gone from being the Messiah saving us all from the evil 'design clever' Hornby, to the devil incarnate willing to foist all manner of ills on us. Us RM'webbers are a fickle bunch. I remember back in 2015 when Hornby was about to go bust and Bachmann were wonderful, now who is the manufacturer of the year?  

Vistiaen, on 17 Mar 2017 - 18:54, said:

Us RM'webbers are a fickle bunch.

No, I think I've been consistently anti-anti-rivet-counter.

Dave(1562) is entitled to his opinion of the model, it's certainly very pretty. What grates is the view that because he's satisfied with it then no-one else is entitled to express a contrary opinion. If he had said "I'm very happy with it and XYZ doesn't trouble me" that's fine, but his inclusion of the word 'bitch' twice in that context suggests a certain lack of tolerance of those doing the criticising.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that any other manufacturer is perfect, every RTR release does indeed have issues (possible exception of Hornby's Peckett which seems to be heading for some sort of model railway sainthood) but I'm grateful to the rivet counters and subject matter experts who point out any issues and allow me to make an informed choice on purchases. Some 'issues' bother me, some don't, I can either ignore them, correct them, or build my own. I can overlook the fact that Bachmann's BR cattle van is a scale foot too long for example because the rest of it is very nicely done, but their squashed LMS van really annoys me despite its correct length underframe. But it's my informed choice, and it's only informed because someone took the trouble to cast a critical (in the literal sense) eye over it.  

It's just a pity that so many of those prepared to critically evaluate products (even the slightly annoying ones) have been routinely shouted down on here so often, for so long and by so many  that they've taken their bats elsewhere.

• Like 7

The scrap line on my layout. Two Airfix and one K's - all non-runners. The Airfix ones appear to be the old plunger pick-up problem. The K's - probably there isn't sufficient power in the village to turn the motor over but it does have a nice, apparently plated safety valve cover! PM me if you're interested, otherwise they'll be on their way to the scrapman next week. (CJL) 

If the only problem with the Airfix ones is the plunger pick ups a simple solution I did years ago was to fit pick ups to a permanently coupled autocoach. The 14xx was designed to be easy to fit with the Airfix MTC decoder so whilst it may not first seem easy to connect the wires from the autocoach to it is in fact incredibly easy - you remove the motor and rearrange it it with the long downward metal prong on one of the brush terminals protruding upwards - it fits into the dome.

• RMweb Gold

The scrap line on my layout

they'll be on their way to the scrapman next week

Couldn't you just park them up in a siding in South Wales somewhere and concentrate on scrapping a load of Airfix 16t minerals instead for a while, so that some enthusiastic young preservationists can come along in a few years and preserve them for the Nation?
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just done some more haulage tests on my 4825 and compared it to an Airfix loco.

As I posted before, my 4825 will haul 4 Airfix B-set coaches easily, with barely a slip, up my 1:50/60 gradients.

5 coaches and it starts fine on the level but slips on the gradient but still gets up it.

6 coaches starts with some slipping and slips to stand on the gradient.

In contrast an Airfix example with Gibson wheels struggles to start 4 coaches and wont even make it up any of the gradient.

Another Airfix loco with two plain Airfix drivers is better and will start 4 coaches with some slipping but slips to a stop part way up the gradient, very similar performance to 6 coaches with the Hattons/DJM variety.

Unfortunately I cannot try an original Airfix with traction tyres, which should be better than plain wheels but at the expense of having less reliable current pickup.

The more I run this loco the more I like it. Might go for another one of some variety.

I would recommend if you want one take the plunge. The few errors I can live with and it's performance is better than a standard Airfix one.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

If the only problem with the Airfix ones is the plunger pick ups

Never had a problem with either of the two locos I have. As long as you don't allow clag to build up on them and clean them regularly with IPA I have found them to be OK.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

No, I think I've been consistently anti-anti-rivet-counter.

Dave(1562) is entitled to his opinion of the model, it's certainly very pretty. What grates is the view that because he's satisfied with it then no-one else is entitled to express a contrary opinion. If he had said "I'm very happy with it and XYZ doesn't trouble me" that's fine, but his inclusion of the word 'bitch' twice in that context suggests a certain lack of tolerance of those doing the criticising.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that any other manufacturer is perfect, every RTR release does indeed have issues (possible exception of Hornby's Peckett which seems to be heading for some sort of model railway sainthood) but I'm grateful to the rivet counters and subject matter experts who point out any issues and allow me to make an informed choice on purchases. Some 'issues' bother me, some don't, I can either ignore them, correct them, or build my own. I can overlook the fact that Bachmann's BR cattle van is a scale foot too long for example because the rest of it is very nicely done, but their squashed LMS van really annoys me despite its correct length underframe. But it's my informed choice, and it's only informed because someone took the trouble to cast a critical (in the literal sense) eye over it.  

It's just a pity that so many of those prepared to critically evaluate products (even the slightly annoying ones) have been routinely shouted down on here so often, for so long and by so many  that they've taken their bats elsewhere.

Wheatley,

Not a very fair summation on your part.

A lot have put up opinions on how they viewed the model and faults found, and very rightly so.

The MAJORITY that did so did so in a manner than was quite polite.

BUT, some continually repeated themselves like a broken records with faults, that you almost felt guilty for even considering it as a purchase!

It is a good thing to have faults pointed out. That way members can make an informed decision off their own bat without getting the feeling they are guilty of some crime for purchasing said item.

Personally I would find a model out by 1ft to be a proverbial pain, BUT that does not mean anyone else should.

Now it is fine to point that out and  others are informed of a disrepency, and they can make a choice as to whether to purchase or not.

So how about we all consider fair and reasonable reviews without crucifying models, particularly before we even see them in the flesh!

Khris

So in the space of one model DJM has gone from being the Messiah saving us all from the evil 'design clever' Hornby, to the devil incarnate willing to foist all manner of ills on us. Us RM'webbers are a fickle bunch. I remember back in 2015 when Hornby was about to go bust and Bachmann were wonderful, now who is the manufacturer of the year?

When he left Dapol to set up on his own, DJ did rather raise expectations of becoming the modeller's model manufacturer. I don't think blaming RMWebbers for pointing out problems with models is fair.

I would recommend if you want one take the plunge. The few errors I can live with and it's performance is better than a standard Airfix one.

Keith

My 58xx arrived this morning, and I have to agree 100% with melmerby's comment. What a wonderful model. It worked perfectly out of the box and is now running-in. The lack of ashpan will take a few modelling minutes to rectify, and the other oddities of the model that have led to all the wailing here pale into insignificance alongside its overall look.

How many of those who complain about the numberplate not protruding a fraction of a millimetre (as it should) or the wheels not being of exactly the right diameter actually take into account that most of them will be running the engine on track that is 2.33mm too narrow, rails (if Peco code 100 - still among the most used, I am led to believe) that are both flat-bottomed and over a scale 6" high and, moreover, running it with huge automatic couplings on at least one, if not both ends ? Let's keep things in perspective.

I thank Hattons, DJ and all others involved in producing this model.

Edit to add:  If you're hesitating about buying one - don't: even with the slight errors it IS worth taking the plunge!

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Bought a 1450 yesterday, arrived today.

The lined black version obtained earlier, was very nice, decided I didn't want to miss out on a BR green one to go with it.

A really nice model, opening foot plate gates, raised fitted smoke box number plate, nicely profiled cab side numbers, jobs definitely a good-un, indeed it's a very nice one, doubt that some of these variants will hang around long.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Never had a problem with either of the two locos I have. As long as you don't allow clag to build up on them and clean them regularly with IPA I have found them to be OK.

Keith

The problem always seemed to be the springs burning out because they could not handle the current rather than any deposit issues.

• RMweb Premium

The problem always seemed to be the springs burning out because they could not handle the current rather than any deposit issues.

Mine are not doing too badly then after approaching 40 years on this planet!

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Same as mine Keith Brought 2nd hand along with a Dapol Autocoach.

Regards Mark

One was second hand, I think the other was bought new, I've also got two Airfix autocoaches as well as 4 B-set coaches also bought new.

keith

• RMweb Gold

A question for those who have bought one or more loco's that run on DC.

What controller are you using please? Make etc.

I only have feedback controllers and will need to purchase  a new one if I am to buy one.

Khris

Gaugemaster.You won't go wrong.Look on their website.

• RMweb Gold

Just done some more haulage tests on my 4825 and compared it to an Airfix loco.

As I posted before, my 4825 will haul 4 Airfix B-set coaches easily, with barely a slip, up my 1:50/60 gradients.

5 coaches and it starts fine on the level but slips on the gradient but still gets up it.

6 coaches starts with some slipping and slips to stand on the gradient.

In contrast an Airfix example with Gibson wheels struggles to start 4 coaches and wont even make it up any of the gradient.

Another Airfix loco with two plain Airfix drivers is better and will start 4 coaches with some slipping but slips to a stop part way up the gradient, very similar performance to 6 coaches with the Hattons/DJM variety.

Unfortunately I cannot try an original Airfix with traction tyres, which should be better than plain wheels but at the expense of having less reliable current pickup.

The more I run this loco the more I like it. Might go for another one of some variety.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I would respectfully point out that in real life, a 48xx wouldn't be expected to haul 4 or more coaches up a 1 in 50. There'd be a pannier on the job at least, either that, or a 56xx or prairie.  

Still awaiting 4871, but I might get 4825 in the meantime....

Ian

• Like 1

With the caveat that I have not run mine in yet, my 1420 arrived in yesterday's morning post and visually, it is a complete delight. I have taken on board the constructive criticism of the comments here, and whilst none of the 'errors' are ideal, I think that when I come to make a value judgement on these, £99 is a bargain! The inset number plates don't bother me now really (although I still haven't worked out how one would best renumber one yet), and can you really notice the lack of ashpan?

My 1420 oozes detail and sophistication, so much so that I've just ordered another to join the 48xx in wartime black and 58xx in weathered GWR green once they arrive at the end of the month. I genuinely don't think these will hang around long, and certainly whilst the Beyer-Garrets attracted a fair slice of criticism too, they flew off the shelves and now you can't get them for love nor money from what I can tell. 

I admire the rich GWR green paint job, which is up there with the best of Bachmann's take on that colour, and the 'front end' and face of the loco looks spot-on. Cab detail is breathtaking, as is the autotrain apparatus on each buffer beam. 

When you compare these at £99 with Heljan's curate's eggs of the 1361 and 1366 at £124 (discounted) there's really no comparison. Indeed the price even compares well against the Bachmann 64xx at around £80 (discounted) simply because of the detail and livery variations on offer from the 14xx range. 

Indeed, I've just sent an email beseeching Hattons to turn their attentions to a certain class of 'bigger brother' prairie that came from Swindon...

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 7

A slightly dumb question, but what's the knack for getting the smoke box door off? I'm struggling and don't want to be too brutal with it...

David

Are you telling me that the door dart doesn't actually operate? Cuh. What good are opening cab doors for the fireman to exit the cab if he can't clean the smokebox at the day's end? 

As it's held by two small magnets surely a very small flat-ended screwdriver would prize it off? I would anticipate that it would 'pop' off quite easily? 

Just my two cents - let us know how you get on!

CoY

• Like 1