Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I am sure this has been covered elsewhere in the thread, but how easy is it to change the number plate?

You can glue over

Prose out the original and replace in the recess (modelmasters is an exact fit)

Or gonthe whole hog and fill the hole, respray and recover

I did option 2 the glue made it stand slightly proud of the side (although one plate has now fallen off and is on the workshop floor...

• RMweb Gold

I am sure this has been covered elsewhere in the thread, but how easy is it to change the number plate?

You can glue over

Prose out the original and replace in the recess (modelmasters is an exact fit)

Or gonthe whole hog and fill the hole, respray and recover

I did option 2 the glue made it stand slightly proud of the side (although one plate has now fallen off and is on the workshop floor...

• RMweb Gold

She’s arrived and isn’t she gorgeous.

With coming back to the hobby late I missed out on one of these

So for me it was a rare, lucky eBay find

I’m as happy as a pig in poo

Lovely-looking loco, but does she run alright?

What's the slow-speed control like? Would you be able to do controllable shunting with her, for example?

• RMweb Gold

What's the slow-speed control like? Would you be able to do controllable shunting with her, for example?

Just running it in on DC on the rolling road at the moment and she’s running smoothly but I won’t be able to give a true answer until the decoder is fitted

Slow speed control on this loco has been a concern judging by some stories/reviews I’ve read

Fingers crossed

Chris

• RMweb Gold

To get the best out of the model, read the notes first. I ran mine in with about an hour each way. Absolutely no problems at all. You will need to lubricate the model. But..... Read the notes first, that's what they're there for.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

To get the best out of the model, read the notes first. I ran mine in with about an hour each way. Absolutely no problems at all. You will need to lubricate the model. But..... Read the notes first, that's what they're there for.Cheers,Ian.

Thanks Ian,

I have read notes, lubricated and ran it in forwards and backwards and she runs beautifully

I’ve fitted the decoder and I’ve not had to make any adjustments to the CV’s other than it’s ID

So I’m quite happy......for a change

Chris

• Like 2

I think what the captain was asking was, is it controllable at slow speed on DC.  DC to me is Dinasaur Control and i have no time whatsoever for it. I wired my layout to a DC Gaugemaster Twin controller for a couple of weeks so I could test and run-in a pair of Heljan 47XX 2-8-0's. A DJM/Hattons 14XX was also operated, and while it ran smoothly once it had got going, it was not precisely controllable when setting off or shunting.....It was unsurprisingly typical of locos on DC. 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I think what the captain was asking was, is it controllable at slow speed on DC.  DC to me is Dinasaur Control and i have no time whatsoever for it. I wired my layout to a DC Gaugemaster Twin controller for a couple of weeks so I could test and run-in a pair of Heljan 47XX 2-8-0's. A DJM/Hattons 14XX was also operated, and while it ran smoothly once it had got going, it was not precisely controllable when setting off or shunting.....It was unsurprisingly typical of locos on DC.

In that case my apologies to Captain for miss interpreting his question opps

I only used DC to run my locos in a at medium speed before fitting the decoder

I generally only revert back to test slow speed DC if locos are misbehaving in DCC just to check if it’s the loco or decoder at fault

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We'll all just have to agree to differ as regards the relative merits of DC and DCC.

I was indeed asking about DC, but didn't make the question clear, so apologies for that.

Both I and others that I know, who also operate on DC, have had serious problems with the running of the chassis fitted to these locos. One friend is now on his 3rd 14XX. I am on my second and although it doesn't run particularly smoothly at slow speeds, I am reconciled to building an etched chassis kit for the loco, as that way only I will be responsible if it doesn't run properly.

I ran my first example in for at least two hours in each direction and it actually got worse as I ran it in more.

Why did I buy one in the first place? Well, the body alone is worth it.

We'll all just have to agree to differ as regards the relative merits of DC and DCC.

I was indeed asking about DC, but didn't make the question clear, so apologies for that.

Both I and others that I know, who also operate on DC, have had serious problems with the running of the chassis fitted to these locos. One friend is now on his 3rd 14XX. I am on my second and although it doesn't run particularly smoothly at slow speeds, I am reconciled to building an etched chassis kit for the loco, as that way only I will be responsible if it doesn't run properly.

I ran my first example in for at least two hours in each direction and it actually got worse as I ran it in more.

Why did I buy one in the first place? Well, the body alone is worth it.

I purchased my first example of this model shortly after it was first released. I soon found that it was one of my best runners, not affected in the least by a subsequent period of inactivity of more than a year.. I purchased my second example a few days ago and both of them run like sewing machines.

It sounds as though you have been extremely unlucky. Forgive me for asking, Captain, but have you followed the lubrication instructions and, if so, are you sure you have squirted your lubricant up/down the correct orifice/s?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I purchased my first example of this model shortly after it was first released. I soon found that it was one of my best runners, not affected in the least by a subsequent period of inactivity of more than a year.. I purchased my second example a few days ago and both of them run like sewing machines.

It sounds as though you have been extremely unlucky. Forgive me for asking, Captain, but have you followed the lubrication instructions and, if so, are you sure you have squirted your lubricant up/down the correct orifice/s?

He's not been "extremely unlucky" at all, read through the thread and you'll see many people have experienced problems with these, including myself.

He's not been "extremely unlucky" at all, read through the thread and you'll see many people have experienced problems with these, including myself.

I have seen two running, both purchased by friends. I would describe the running of both as dreadful.  As both are intended to be converted to P4 I think a High level chassis will be used but if I was in OO land I would not be impressed.

Craig w

• RMweb Premium

I have seen two running, both purchased by friends. I would describe the running of both as dreadful. As both are intended to be converted to P4 I think a High level chassis will be used but if I was in OO land I would not be impressed.

Craig w

To a certain extent how well a model runs depends very much on the observers personal viewpoint.

I have a few locos that wobble a bit and a few that have iffy slow speed control - but to be honest, I couldn’t care less about such things. Provided the decoration / detailing is good and they run in an OK fashion then it’s good enough for me - and my comments therefore might well be along the lines of ‘It runs fine’.

You, and indeed probably quite a few others on the forum would take a very different view - as is your right of course.

• Like 1

To a certain extent how well a model runs depends very much on the observers personal viewpoint.

I have a few locos that wobble a bit and a few that have iffy slow speed control - but to be honest, I couldn’t care less about such things. Provided the decoration / detailing is good and they run in an OK fashion then it’s good enough for me - and my comments therefore might well be along the lines of ‘It runs fine’.

You, and indeed probably quite a few others on the forum would take a very different view - as is your right of course.

Phil,

No wheel wobble. Both had a very visible cogging and surging. In addition, both extremely noisy. Visible at all speed ranges. maybe they will improve with time but as the chassis will be going that is a moot point. But, if they were intended to be used as purchased none of us were impressed. The body and the paint finish on both samples did look very nice.

regards,

Craig w

• RMweb Gold

I have seen two running, both purchased by friends. I would describe the running of both as dreadful.  As both are intended to be converted to P4 I think a High level chassis will be used but if I was in OO land I would not be impressed.

Craig w

I have one, 1450, which runs just fine, though perhaps not (yet) quite as well as my Bachmann 64xx, which has rather more miles on the clock.

It is likely to be joined by a second example when a gap opens up in my current spate of pre-ordered arrivals. :jester:

Luck, or the law of averages?

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Realistic shunting, yes, the funereal crawl seen on many small exhibition layouts, not so well. :angel:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have one, 1450, which runs just fine, though perhaps not (yet) quite as well as my Bachmann 64xx, which has rather more miles on the clock.

It is likely to be joined by a second example when a gap opens up in my current spate of pre-ordered arrivals. :jester:

Luck, or the law of averages?

John

Luck ? No.Mine...all three..... run well.They were purchased for auto train use,perform prototypically (DC analogue) and are light years better than the now superannuated Hornby version.The noise level is acceptable and improves after lubrication and running.

Put in realistic terms....you are extremely unlikely to receive a better model of this loco any time soon.There are those for whom it is unsatisfactory and who have more exacting standards.I accept their viewpoint .....but decline to join their number.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Luck ? No.Mine...all three..... run well.They were purchased for auto train use,perform prototypically (DC analogue) and are light years better than the now superannuated Hornby version.The noise level is acceptable and improves after lubrication and running.

Put in realistic terms....you are extremely unlikely to receive a better model of this loco any time soon.There are those for whom it is unsatisfactory and who have more exacting standards.I accept their viewpoint .....but decline to join their number.

I'm pleased with both the look and performance of mine.........and I'm quite fussy

• Like 2