ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

It was a great show and well organised.

However, as there was no exhibitors lunch area (if there was then we did know about it) we also ate our lunch by the layout as it was way too cold to eat it outside!!

Point taken

Up to a couple of years ago we had a dedicated exhibitors food area and I have to say no exhibitors used it so it was decided to remove it.

We will have another look at this for next year..

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

Point taken

Up to a couple of years ago we had a dedicated exhibitors food area and I have to say no exhibitors used it so it was decided to remove it.

We will have another look at this for next year..

Eltel

Doesnt bother us as we are quite happy to eat behind the layout and when short of operators we have even been eating whilst operating.

But Ian!

Look at the major plus point-we were only 50 feet from the teas and coffees! And 75 feet from the exit too! In that respect we couldn't have been better placed

Agree with you on the layout behind us though-we could have moved if we had known-it's not if they had used ALL the space available!

But not to detract from the superb organization of the rest of the show the quality and diversity of the exhibits and trade content!

• RMweb Gold

But Ian!

Look at the major plus point-we were only 50 feet from the teas and coffees! And 75 feet from the exit too! In that respect we couldn't have been better placed

Agree with you on the layout behind us though-we could have moved if we had known-it's not if they had used ALL the space available!

But not to detract from the superb organization of the rest of the show the quality and diversity of the exhibits and trade content!

Very much a superb show and yes the location for us was superb, right next to the teas and also rather handy to make room for the next cuppa (being close to the toilets)!!

We were loaded into the cars and on our way in 35 minutes which I think is a record for this layout. A great venue for access virtually all the way round the halls. Very rare to get that.

Add to that the accommodation provided was great.

Definitely a show to attend with a layout if you are invited to.

I got home at 10.40 last night having driven back to Farnham, unloaded Weydon Road at the club rooms and dropped off the van. Was it worth it? You bet! We had not been to the Stafford show before, but what a great example of a model railway exhibition - an excellent selection of high quality standard gauge layouts in a good variety of scales and some top notch narrow gauge ones, too. That combined with a good variety of traders made it outstanding and there were a couple of ideas we will discuss with our own exhibition manager.

We were completely amazed that Weydon Road won the 'best in show' prize in such company, but I understand it was a very close call. We got a lot of interest in the layout, perhaps because we were showing it in a new area for the first time. If anyone wants to know more, please look on our website http://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=16 where you will also find my contact details.

Thanks again to the Stafford club for an excellent weekend.

Julian

• RMweb Gold

I did have a look at the built 1366 on the Agenoria stand. The builder obviously found some of the issues I did as there are places where the build varied from the destructions, particularly the motion. The castings on the display example were far better than those in my kit.

I think from a look at it at another show that the cab floor is wrong as well

• RMweb Premium

If you're using the now-standard setting of layouts in a rectangle with the operators in the middle and the public on the outside, then there are only a limited number of corner or end slots available. And if the sizes of the layouts don't perfectly tessellate into the allocated space, something has to give. You can't give every layout the perfect slot.

Spare a thought for Alex, the Exhibition Manager for the Derby show in May as that's going to be in a circular building that we haven't used before and there are lots of pillars to take account of - but how many other shows are in an old Roundhouse built in 1839 !!

See the photo here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95551-derby-the-roundhouse-9-10-may-2015/

Had a great time exhibiting Camel Quay over the weekend. Very well organised and the team were very friendly and helpful. It was great to be able to drive into the exhibition hall to unload the car on Friday. Well worth the drive from NWales and no problems with traffic or the weather (although we did wake up to a few inches of snow this morning).

Thanks again to Colin and his crew for an excellent weekend.

The junction end of Dewsbury Midland - with 'that table'

Granted it was in an awkward position - but I didn't lose any sleep over it - and it had no effect upon my enjoyment of a very good show.

See you all next weekend at Donny

Brian R

post-1599-0-24784800-1422898342_thumb.jpg

Spare a thought for Alex, the Exhibition Manager for the Derby show in May as that's going to be in a circular building that we haven't used before and there are lots of pillars to take account of - but how many other shows are in an old Roundhouse built in 1839 !!

See the photo here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95551-derby-the-roundhouse-9-10-may-2015/

That looks gorgeous, but it's certainly going to be a planning challenge!

• RMweb Premium

Spare a thought for Alex, the Exhibition Manager for the Derby show in May as that's going to be in a circular building that we haven't used before and there are lots of pillars to take account of - but how many other shows are in an old Roundhouse built in 1839 !!See the photo here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95551-derby-the-roundhouse-9-10-may-2015/.

Another show in a roundhouse built in 1839 is truly unlikely.

There are not as many 1839 roundhouse as there used to be!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Now that must be a nightmare to organise all the rectangula layouts in a roundhouse.

No doubt I will find out as I am exhibiting my layout Alstone Quay NG

Eltel

Our thanks to Colin and his team for arranging such a great show. They even managed to make the snow disruption clear up by the time we left the North! We met lots of RMWebers, including the great Sandside, and the company at the Saturday dinner was excellent.

There were lots of super layouts. I enjoyed seeing Dewsbury, with Geoff Taylor's fabulous buildings, for the first time. Whiteacres was a tour de force and among the smaller layouts John Kneeshaw's Bankfield Road was an excellent example of a minimum-size O gauge shunting puzzle.

Here is a picture taken of Humber Dock on Sunday by my partner in crime, Steve Griffiths. We mostly had a good crowd in front of the layout - often four or more deep on the Saturday. It was very gratifying to have so much interest expressed, especially by fellow ex-Hullensians, who recognised the scene. One man saw a WD crossing the lock bridge and started swearing profusely. When he had calmed down he explained that he used to have to fire the b*ggers and hated them!

But what is my late father doing, apparently operating the layout? :scratchhead:

post-4908-0-82900500-1423039634_thumb.jpg

I should have mentioned that I also met Paul Lunn who was demonstrating layout planning and he spent some 30 minutes discussing my plans for Bradford North Western.

He applied some lateral thinking to it and I went away with a carefully worked out block plan cunningly incorporating all my desiderata which, even if I do not use it exactly as is, will stimulate the creative juices.

Very helpful and a real nice guy too!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Just a note to say thanks to all the exhibitors and traders, great show, great layout and got a bargain I've been after for a while. :good:

Thanks for the nice comments.

Are you going to share with us what your bargin was?

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the nice comments.

Are you going to share with us what your bargin was?

Terry

[bad taste alert, with apologies to Nick & Yvonne at Rural Railways]

I hope it wasn't a load of P&D Marsh castings..........

:nono:

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Archived