Hattons does it again

oldknotty

12 days from Liverpool to Shirley BC, Canada, for my 1m long parcels. Outstanding ! The box arrived in 10 days, which is wonderful.

Granddad(s, I suspect) shopped at Hattons in the 50's and 60's. Mum knew where it was in Liverpool, we visited the store in 2006. Nothing but good words for them, except my bundle of flex didn't have its string on it :). (the box did...)

They are probably the best way to get Bachmann if you are shopping for it in Canada, although I stick to the official channel for Hornby.

James Powell

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ordered a loco on the 6th August on the website, brown paper parcel with string around it arrived here in Western Australia on the 10th August and for just 6 pounds postage you cannot get better than that laugh.gif well done again Hattons don't ever leave us!

• 1 month later...

Bit of information on Hattons if you have or are placing orders this week.

Was there today purchasing some Dapol Gresleys, seeing empty shelves and watching boxes of stock going out the door into an articulated lorry I was a little worried for a moment.

The mail order side of the business is in the process of moving to a warehouse on an industrial estate. This might delay orders being processed whilst they transport and unpack at the other end and they were advising callers today that they couldn't immediately fulfil requests.

The store itself isn't affected and there will still be a decent amount of stock held in store for those of us lucky enough to be able to pop in. I asked if the shop would be following suit and was told no, the location of the warehouse was not conducive to also running the shop from there. The reason for the move is lack of space in the existing premises, I think also with the large amount of stock in such a small space in an old property there would be other risks being minimised around fire, flood and burglary in moving the majority of the stock to a better suited location

• RMweb Gold

Just to add to the last post.

I rang Hattons today to find out current lead times for orders.

The nice chap on the end of the phone explained re stock move and said orders placed now are looking at about a weeks lead time before despatch.

Just something to keep in mind.

We ordered a couple of Farish GW Toads a month ago from Hattons, they dispatched with their usual speed but they failed to arrive to us here in Spain. It normally takes 4 working days to arrive, so we gave it 10 days to be on safe side and phoned them to advise. They noted our call but couldn't do anything until 28 days from shipment had passed, duly phoned them after the 28 days, replacements in the post FOC same day and received 3 days later - superb service. Only hope the order they advised packed and dispatched last Sunday (19th Sept) made it out before their move!

Caz

Bit of information on Hattons if you have or are placing orders this week.

Was there today purchasing some Dapol Gresleys, seeing empty shelves and watching boxes of stock going out the door into an articulated lorry I was a little worried for a moment.

The mail order side of the business is in the process of moving to a warehouse on an industrial estate. This might delay orders being processed whilst they transport and unpack at the other end and they were advising callers today that they couldn't immediately fulfil requests.

The store itself isn't affected and there will still be a decent amount of stock held in store for those of us lucky enough to be able to pop in. I asked if the shop would be following suit and was told no, the location of the warehouse was not conducive to also running the shop from there. The reason for the move is lack of space in the existing premises, I think also with the large amount of stock in such a small space in an old property there would be other risks being minimised around fire, flood and burglary in moving the majority of the stock to a better suited location

Unfortunately I didn't know about this when I placed an order last Monday (27.09.10). I only checked this thread to find the above post when I had not received any dispatch notification yesterday. The order having been placed on the assumption that delivery would be by today (Thursday) as I will be out of the office tomorrow and all next week.

Hoping that my dear colleagues will kindly look after my Lafarge Wagons and London Central C10 bus until my return.

Whilst appreciating that there are good reasons for the relocation of the mail order business it was rather bad timing on my part.

Or poor information from Hattons, to me they should have warned people on the website that there was a chance of delay due to relocation.

When I went into the shop I thought at first they were closing down!!

I suspect they haven't mentioned it through fear of losing revenue in the transition period in stocking up the new warehouse.

I placed an order with Kernow late on Sunday evening, Tuesday morning item arrived with enough bubble wrap to keep my kids entertained for a week.

• RMweb Gold

This also explains why their useful "New Releases" page has had unusually long periods between updatings this last week. Today a veritable Epsom Salts effect has blown a lot of items onto the page.

This also explains why their useful "New Releases" page has had unusually long periods between updatings this last week. Today a veritable Epsom Salts effect has blown a lot of items onto the page.

Wouldnt surprise me if a few obscure items find their way onto the site. A move will likely entail a stock take so anything not on the database at the moment that they find will turn up for sale. I was there several months ago and picked up a few MK1 coaches in blood/custard that they didnt know they had because they had gone off the system but were in a cupboard in full view. This was at a time when no-one could get any MK1s other than full brakes and buffets, with hindsight wish I hadnt got them as I could now justify buying some of the new MK1s when they appear.

• RMweb Gold

Or poor information from Hattons, to me they should have warned people on the website that there was a chance of delay due to relocation.

If the option for the next day delivery was taken thats fine, otherwise they deliver when they can, and at times, even without a shop move, this can take several days, can't see the problem myself :unsure:

Hattons are renowned for a quick turnaround, if you suddenly don't get the service you normally do you'd worry wouldn't you.

I'm glad they've moved the mail order side to a warehouse, it's a sign of success and a healthy business I just think it might have been good service to include some sort of message so people who have placed orders are aware of a delay and can plan around it. I might be old fashioned but it is polite.

People who were ordering by phone were being advised so why couldn't web buyers get the same?

Putting this into perspective, I've done a lot of business with Hattons, this isn't going to stop me doing more business in the future and at the end of the day like you say Beast if you haven't paid for next day then there is a reasonable window in which they can sort the order before it becomes an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I put an order in at lunch time,

Whilst perusing the email acknowledgement I realised that I had my quantities of left and right points the wrong way round.

A quick trip back to their site and I realised that I could amend the order which I subsequently did.

Later I received the ‘Order processed’ email which contained exactly what I want.

Happy with that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the same Hattons?

One and only experience was an order received quickly enough, but very poorly packed. No use of bubblewrap, newspaper or any other packing materials, items just placed loosely in a cardboard box.

The order included one of those resin buildings, which was broken (no surprise). Further inspection showed that some pieces that had become detached were "fixed" back with masking tape - in short it was clear that they had sent me an item that previously had been returned as damaged.

I rang Hattons and spoke to a Mr Grunt, who took little interest or care. A little more responsive to an e-mail - asking me to return the item. A refund was given, but it took further e-mails to get a refund on my return postage - my costs of providing adequate packaging were not met. Their mistake in sending out a broken item was acknowledged, but I was given no reason to believe they cared about any future custom.

• RMweb Gold

That doesn't sound like Hattons at all, I've dealt with them for years, I get them to post things to me rather than driving the 5 miles to the shop as it's cheaper than paying for the petrol and the tunnel.

They also don't have a Mr Grunt on their staff list, I do know one of them and will be seeing him tomorrow so I will see if they've ever had one ;)

Quite a strange first posting too if you don't mind me saying :unsure:

Archived