Hattons does it again

oldknotty

Huh???

Angry? After what? Five business days? Well that's your prerogative but even if I were in the UK I wouldn't be getting unduly concerned for another few days never mind angry.

It's now officially three weeks I've been waiting now... never had anything take this long coming from the UK cray_mini2.gif

• RMweb Gold

My 7F finally arrived in California on Friday. 8 whole weeks after it was (allegedly) dispatched.

Bearing in mind that I've been used to 1-2 weeks delivery times from Hattons in the past, and even allowing 2 weeks for the Xmas / New Year intervening, this still represents a fairly significant degradation in their service.**

Hattons have informed me that they are "looking into issues" with CityLink's Airmail service, and have advised me to place orders via the (more expensive) Royal Mail Airmail service in future. I did so last week, and we'll see how quickly that package arrives...

** I have noticed a general service problem lately with regard to shipment of items from the UK, albeit not to this extent - from some sellers on eBay. However, in the same period I received lightning-fast delivery service from Kernow Model Centre...

• RMweb Premium

I placed an order on Monday evening 31st January, got the packing email on the Wednesday 2nd February and the order arrived on the Saturday 5th February via Royal Mail. It's not as quick as it used to be but it's perfectly acceptable to me.

• RMweb Premium

With regard to parcels from the UK to the US, the Royal Mail International Bulletin (USA) may be of interest, specifically:

USA

Start date: 18th November 2010

End date: Ongoing

Update 28th January 2011:

The United States Department of Homeland Security is continuing to require increased security measures for items carried on passenger airlines. As a result, some mail entering the US from around the world, and including the UK, that would normally be sent via passenger aircraft must now travel by other means, including ships and cargo planes.

Most items, including personal letters and cards, magazines, CDs, DVDs and lightweight packets, will be delivered in the US within a few days of posting. However, there are delays of about two weeks for some heavier packets. These delays are currently affecting stamped items, franked items, and items posted under contract, with the exception of Destination Sort and/or M-Bag* items.

Royal Mail is very sorry for these unavoidable delays. We have implemented a number of contingency plans to ensure as much of our customers’ mail reaches the US as quickly as possible and are continuing to work to minimise disruption to our customers, whilst ensuring we comply fully with the US directives and regulations.

The Department of Homeland Paranoia Security is causing a lot of problems with delivery times of incoming parcels by certain routes/methods at the moment, they just have not told anyone about it!!

The Department of Homeland Paranoia Security is causing a lot of problems with delivery times of incoming parcels by certain routes/methods at the moment, they just have not told anyone about it!!

They mean well...

Ships is a major bummer though! We've just gone from surface, which is really slow air, back to surface, with the surprise twist that it is random... sad.gif

There is an incoming Citylink from 25 Jan, will patiently wait for its arrival...

I've outlined an issue with Hattons previously in this thread. Delivery times have been stretched since mid-November - it is more apparent to me because I'm in the 'States. It is not confined to deliveries from Hattons, however - I've been having exactly the same issues with Amazon UK on British books I've ordered from them - out of three books only one arrived in due course. Amazon had to resend one book which I finally received last Friday (ordered before Christmas) and one is still outstanding which they will probably resend too.

All of these were via Royal Mail from each location.

I have no idea why such a thing should be happening because if it was weather influenced then you would expect the items to eventually turn up and they don't. It can't be my local Post Office because other people have mention delays in other 'States or Canada with shipments from the UK. It's a mystery to me, I only wish I could nominate someone like FedEx for deliveries from these locations, at least I could track the parcels.

Best, Pete.

Edit: I've just read the posting regarding Homeland Security - that, unfortunately makes sense considering what I wrote above. It's certainly making me reconsider the S4 layout I was planning........PGW

Must admit that these service issues are a bit odd from Hatton's. I've been using them for 25 or more years and this is the first time I have taken issue with them. I think some of the impatience if that this is not expected from them, yet it is the norm with some other suppliers. I spoke this morning abiut my order and was told it was despatched by DHL on tuesday, but they were unable to give me a tracking number. I spoke to DHL and was told that they had no parcel for my postcode in their system. Going to get back to Hatton's in the morning. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

I have just placed another order with Hattons for despatch by DHL they have responded in htier usual prompt way and sent me the tracking numbers for the 2 parcels I dont usually bother to check these with DHL as the delivery usually arrives on time but on this occasion I will do to see what comes up!!:D

• RMweb Premium

I use Hattons regularly and the service has always been very good. But I too have noticed that it may take a day or two longer now for my parcel to be despatched. But that's fine.

I normally ask for Royal Mail Priority Airmail, but being in Portugal, when the weight goes over the Small Packet limit, the Royal Mail option becomes two separate parcels, so I use the Interlink DPD by Road option instead. This has been very reliable - 5 days on the dot. Last time I did ask about the slightly cheaper Citylink option but was advised they were currently having problems with their service, which echoes others' comments here.

Interestingly, DHL is not offered as an option to Portugal, but as far as the US is concerned, I thought couriers such as DHL used their own aircraft and so should not suffer the long delays caused by the DHS rules since they only apply to passenger aircraft.

I've not purchased from Hattons for a long time as I can usually get what I want from one of two shops that I call into when near them every two or three weeks.

Its either on the spot or order and pickup sometime in the future. Prices are only a bit more than Hattons, but when you add on Hattons postage they work out cheaper.

Well Hattons is the only place to get a Class 14 so I ordered one at 21:45 on the 8th Feb. Delivery by Royal Mail, its easier if I'm not in, it goes to the Post office about a mile away.

Email arrived yesterday saying it had been picked and packed at 03:59 10th Feb.

It arrived at 10:30 this morning. So full marks to Hattons and Royal Mail.

I've not purchased from Hattons for a long time as I can usually get what I want from one of two shops that I call into when near them every two or three weeks.

Its either on the spot or order and pickup sometime in the future. Prices are only a bit more than Hattons, but when you add on Hattons postage they work out cheaper.

Well Hattons is the only place to get a Class 14 so I ordered one at 21:45 on the 8th Feb. Delivery by Royal Mail, its easier if I'm not in, it goes to the Post office about a mile away.

Email arrived yesterday saying it had been picked and packed at 03:59 10th Feb.

It arrived at 10:30 this morning. So full marks to Hattons and Royal Mail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Order referred to above placed around 13-00 pm Yesterday 10th Feb arrived in 2 parcels at 9-30 AM Today 11th Feb.:D :)

Just had my package arrive from Hattons today... 3 days shy of 4 weeks... not sure what shipping option my wife chose, but it was not worth the extra cost to have it 'expedited'. I don't have a problem waiting 3-4 weeks to get something from oversea's, and I know it's not Hatton's fault the mail is being interfered with, but if it's going to take this long I might as well save my money and just have it shipped normally.

Its not just international - I ordered some bits on Tuesday morning expecting as I'd paid for what they call "DHL Next Working Day Before noon. No guarantee on same day despatch. Signature reqd" that it might not be dispatched the same day (as that is something you pay a premium for), but expected it might sent yesterday (Wednesday). Rang someone to confirm and was told it would go yesterday.

Didn't arrive today so I rang and was told by Paris in their order team who said it should go out today but wouldn't likely come tomorrow as the phrase "DHL Next Working Day Before noon" does not gaurantee delivery next day before noon, and actually would likely be 3-5 days (which is somewhat misleading). Needless to say I've cancelled the order, especially in light of the lack of apology.

I always usually use Rails - I won't be wasting my time with Hattons again.

I'm still waiting for my Loco from Hatton's (which I believe is down to Royal Mail/Homeland Security). Hatton's are waiting to see if I get it tomorrow because they can then claim it back (money presumably) from Royal Mail. If you think about it an XRayed loco would look suspicious (inert lump with wires attached).

I think it will be a waste of time sending via the same route, frankly.

Btw I eventually got my missing books from AmazonUK on the second sending...........

Best, Pete.

The postal services' delivery times this winter have been erratic. I received a Hattons order in NYC within ten days of dispatch, but a T-shirt sent by my wife to Vienna in Austria took over six weeks to arrive via airmail. I'm not sure you can single out the DHS in all this, but rather put it down to a combination of unseasonal weather (Snow! In Winter?) on both sides of the Atlantic, along with the more stringent security measures.

Given the circumstances I think Hattons have done quite well.

Well I did order this loco around the 20th November and it arrived in pieces through no fault of Hattons and then returned by me between Christmas and the New Year for replacement - which is what I'm still waiting for.

I have not blamed Hattons for this delay.

I am being realistic in abandoning my plans for a P4 layout - these security/postal delays are just too frustrating......btw see post 132 from John M Upton, the Royal Mail are certainly blaming Homeland Security for the delays.

Best, Pete

• RMweb Gold

Its not just international - I ordered some bits on Tuesday morning expecting as I'd paid for what they call "DHL Next Working Day Before noon. No guarantee on same day despatch. Signature reqd" that it might not be dispatched the same day (as that is something you pay a premium for), but expected it might sent yesterday (Wednesday). Rang someone to confirm and was told it would go yesterday.

Didn't arrive today so I rang and was told by Paris in their order team who said it should go out today but wouldn't likely come tomorrow as the phrase "DHL Next Working Day Before noon" does not gaurantee delivery next day before noon, and actually would likely be 3-5 days (which is somewhat misleading). Needless to say I've cancelled the order, especially in light of the lack of apology.

I think thats a bit unfair, you won't pay the premimum to guarentee the same day despatch but moan when they don't :blink:

You placed on order on Tuesday and are querying non delivery by Thursday, blimey :unsure:

I've never had problems, if I pay the premium I get it quickly, if I don't then I get it as soon as they can - I really can't see your problem :unsure:

-----------------------------------------

I find this a bit strange having dealt with Hattons for many years I have never had problems, with NEXT DAY Deliveries using DHL / Royal Mail / CITY LINK and this includes DHL |Saturday deliveries.

Did you actually pay the £7.00 dely charge or just the £4.00 charge?

If you paid the latter then Hattons are correct in what they state, The £7.00 fee guarantees priority handling in their despatch system so the orders do get despatched on the same day as ordered ( providing the order is in the system by 2-00pm, although I have phoned them much later than this and they have managed same day despatch/nextday delivery as well)

From my experience there are 3 retailers who I regularly deal with : Hattons, The Signal Box, & Arcadia Rail whose next day guaranteed delivery system is impeccable,

some others I have dealt with recently unfortunately have no! been so good :(

I think thats a bit unfair, you won't pay the premimum to guarentee the same day despatch but moan when they don't :blink:

You placed on order on Tuesday and are querying non delivery by Thursday, blimey :unsure:

I've never had problems, if I pay the premium I get it quickly, if I don't then I get it as soon as they can - I really can't see your problem :unsure:

I wasn't expecting despatch the same day, not at all, else I would have paid the extra £3, but I did expect when a company offers "DHL Next Working Day Before noon. No guarantee on same day despatch. Signature reqd" I expect it would be dispatched within 48 hours, and when it is dispatched it will be sent on a next day before noon basis. Not as it it turns out a 3-5 day delivery service as I was informed by Paris. For me, this is plain mis-selling.

For me, this is plain mis-selling.

For, me it was a bit of bad luck that a couple of things, out of the many that can happen everday, conspired together to delay your order. Any one of three or four delivery drivers between whom your parcel would pass could have gone sick or even worse had an accident. A vehicle can break down. The M1, or any other main road, can be closed as it was all day last Tuesday. The driver can run out of hours because of this. Reasons for the delay are virtually infinite. You can even throw good old human error into the mix. Stay cool man. It's only a hobby.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

No guarantee on same day despatch. Signature reqd" I expect it would be dispatched within 48 hours

Why exactly ?, sorry you are coming across as a troll - most places say allow 28 days for delivery :rolleyes:

I don't think expecting a company to live up to claims is troll-ish behaviour. If they clearly stated on the website that the option I elected for was "we'll likely not dispatch for 3 days and then when we do it'll be 3-5 day delivery" I would have paid for the real next day option. Indeed if they'd have said upto 28 days for delivery, I would have waited 28 days. Fact is, they say "next day delivery" and its simply not - that is mis-selling of their service - they just need to be honest. Rails say next day and indeed it always is next day delivery, same with Amazon, Ebuyer - anyone!

That and I certainly don't see a need to cast insults at me for saying my thoughts....I didnt see a need to throw them at you, nor use smilies in an attempt to dismiss the validity of your comment.

Why exactly ?, sorry you are coming across as a troll - most places say allow 28 days for delivery :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

You don't seem to understand the difference between an express service you pay extra for and "when we can" which you don't, maybe you'd be better using another supplier. I also suggest you go and check what constitutes mis-selling before you use such emotive statements. It does not claim the delivery is next day after ordering :rolleyes:

Funny, all of your posts have been in this thread, now what does that remind me of ? see here

No smilies this time as I'm not laughing.

Archived