Hattons does it again

oldknotty

• RMweb Gold

I've used Hattons many times, and don't really have a problem, but I have noted that Rails is stating to better Hattons in service. For the £4 second class postage you get with Hattons, Rails gives you first class for the same price!

The competitions on and I've voted with my cash just so I don't have to wait a week for Postman Pat!

Wish I could join in the general congratulations, but yet again I'm disappointed with Hattons - this time no complaints about the order processing and packing (order to despatch notification 4hrs), just a shame they don't pay attention to the delivery choice. I picked DHL this time (next day before Noon - so I can get out in the afternoon) as they have a depot in York I can get to if something goes wrong. The despatch notice? Your parcel has been sent by Citylink. Ah, CityLink has decided to move its York base to Leeming, I've tried to avoid them as I can't then collect a missed delivery, and at the moment they are running about 48hrs behind. Just in time for me to be back at work. GRRR! And it'll be russian roulette for the next two days trying to get out and get things done.

I'd like Hattons to give us the option of either UPS or FedEx to the 'States.

Hatton's are a good company and they respond very quickly indeed. I ordered one loco from them a week before the snows came in the UK (I ordered /requested the 5-8 days Royal Mail Air delivery option) - it ended up taking one month to get to me in the USA and whilst the packaging looked good the loco had been very damaged in the process (all but one buffer broken off, bogie hanging out, nose of diesel broken off) as it was a gift it was a little disappointing. Now I have to go through the whole process again of sending it back, blah, blah, blah. This is very time consuming, postagewise, form filling etc., from the USA and then I have to wait all over again......

Crap happens to the best of companies, I'd just like the option of specifying a better delivery service. And yes I do intend still to order more from them.........

Best, Pete.

Hattons have recently introduced a new payment system, and they are experiencing a few problems with it. If you get an error when trying to submit an order, you might want to try phoning them instead.

They are looking into it and trying to resolve the issues promptly.

I have been a customer of Hattons since the early 70s

I have obviously seen many changes in their business.

Over the past 18 monts or so I have placed many order with them most of the orders have had atleast 10 different lines on them, I have never experienced any problems whatsoever there service is spot on!

Incidentally I live about 30 miles driving from the shop a lot less if we could go in a straight line, we can see Liverpool across the Wirral from near to where we live,

However it is more econonomical in terms of time and money to mail order these days

I always use £7.00 next day delivery (Hattons do state that next day dely orders receive priority over the £4.00 orders) even £7.00 is less than the cost of fuel! More often than not I get deliveries before 10.00AM next day.

Why do they have the two sites, the '.co.uk' site doesn't reflect the business as well.

I have often wondered that, but the www.ehattons.com site is the most accurate so there really is no point in even loking at the other one

Should be pointed out that the ehttons site does show the complete stock inventory not just UK outline.

…For the £4 second class postage you get with Hattons, Rails gives you first class for the same price!…

I just placed my very first order with Hattons and was charged only £4 for Royal Mail First Class. One item is a pre-order with email notification, so I'll see what happens.

I just placed my very first order with Hattons and was charged only £4 for Royal Mail First Class. One item is a pre-order with email notification, so I'll see what happens.

You may find that depending on the size of the order it might be delivered by courier,

You may be surprised to find that your order will arrive tied up with string ( as well as normal parcel tape) that was a stipulation apparently from the company founder Norman Hatton, he always wanted to be sure that his mail order parcels were secure in transit.........and it is a tradition that his succesors have continued.

You may find that depending on the size of the order it might be delivered by courier,

You may be surprised to find that your order will arrive tied up with string ( as well as normal parcel tape) that was a stipulation apparently from the company founder Norman Hatton, he always wanted to be sure that his mail order parcels were secure in transit.........and it is a tradition that his succesors have continued.

It's a lovely tradition, often positively commented upon by my postman :)

It's a lovely tradition, often positively commented upon by my postman :)

So do mine and the couriers, they actually prefer to handle parcels which are strung, helps them to carry them,

I started to use string on many of my parcels a while back, makes it so much easier to cart them across the car park to the PO. The PO staff often comment that the collection postmen prefer it that way also!!:rolleyes:

Well. My 33/1 arrived this morning at 10.30 by DHL. also for £4. Well worth it and it was the same total price as me nipping down to Ford to Gaugemaster (free train travel...) so thats saved me a load of time as well. Only thing was, it made my days work seem really long as I knew I had goodies waiting when I got home.

Slight oddity with Hattons is that if you look down their website to DCC Loco chips and click on Bachmann, you only get offered the 21 pin. If you ignore that and search on 36-553 you get a hit for the 8 pin one with more than 10 in stock. I did this last week and 4 arrived through the post tied in string. Which is all good as these chips seem to be in short supply.

• RMweb Gold

As a long standing, and previously highly satisfied and loyal customer of Hattons, it pains me to say that ever since they opened their warehouse, their overseas service has declined horribly.

I used to receive deliveries from them, regular as clockwork, within 5-10 days of them notifying me of shipping. Since the warehouse opened, this has grown to an average of 15-20 days. At present I'm still awaiting deliveries which were allegedly shipped on 6th and 8th December, respectively...

I have provided them with the appropriate feedback. Although I realise that the current wait period encompasses the Xmas / New Year break and some bad weather in the UK, I note that one of the items I'm waiting for, a pre-ordered 7F which shipped on 6th December, made it into the hands of RMWeb members in Australia and New Zealand before the end of December.. California is a lot closer!

Over the same time period I've had a parcel from Kernow, with no delays whatsoever. Hence my disappointment with Hattons right now.

• RMweb Gold

Have you contacted Hattons regarding this issue?

The clue was in my comment:

I have provided them with the appropriate feedback.
;)

Anyway, an update is in order:

I have since received the second package ("shipped" on December 8th), the familiar brown paper and string hidden within a large, cable-tied sack, from Switzerland. No sign of the (smaller) package allegedly shipped on December 6th, though. A reply from Hattons was received 4 days after my emailing them (quite reasonable given I mailed them last Friday, Pacific time), saying that they are having "known issues" with overseas deliveries being sent via CityLink - up to 8 weeks delivery time - which they are "keeping a not of, and working to resolve with our courier". Hattons' recommendation "in the meantime" is now to select Royal Mail Airmail, rather than *hittyLink, for overseas deliveries - which I will do in the future, however most of my deliveries from Hattons are pre-orders rather than impulse buys so I'll have to see about changing the delivery method for orders I've already placed.

• RMweb Premium

As another overseas customer of Hattons I can record that I also have had issues with shipping times. The pick and pack response times from the new warehouse seem to be around 24-48 hours slower than from the shop but the real issue is actually within our control.

Hattons allows us to select our carrier. CityLink is often the cheapest but have managed to Royally stuff up their service (not confined to Hattons by any means) such that goods are taking up to eight weeks to arrive. Items for which I selected Royal Mail are arriving within 7 - 10 days at a slightly higher cost of perhaps £1.00 per order.

I currently have another problem in that a locomotive arrived perfectly packed and in an undamaged manufacturer's box but in bits inside which cannot be repaired. Hattons response has been acceptable but the time taken to respond (about a week) is far longer than it ever used to be (48 hours at the most).

Good point, well made John. My apologies. Clearly wasn't paying attention when I posted.

As for Hattons slightly slower dispatch times. Maybe this indicates a significant increase in business? Alternatively, it takes longer to walk around the warehouse, meaning it takes longer to prepare orders. Perhaps the warehouse staff should be equipped with segways to speed things up? biggrin.gif

Archived