Hattons does it again

oldknotty

Writing as a regular purchaser from Hattons, I will try to explain for AdamVB's benefit what happens. Next Day Delivery is mentioned yes, but this kicks in once the parcel has been packed and once it has been despatched. Hattons keep customers well informed with emails as to how things are progressing. If I remember correctly it goes something like this :-

1)......I order goods on website..

2).....An email arrives saying the order has gone though and thanking me for the order.

3)... The next email tells me it is being packed by such and such a person on staff.

4)... Next email informs me it is being despatched on such a date and I am given a tracking number.

5) ...It arrives next day.

There is an incoming Citylink from 25 Jan, will patiently wait for its arrival...

Interesting, package wasn't sent Citylink, went via RM airmail, took exactly 23 days, from date Hattons said it was shipped. That's an extra week, maybe 10 ten days, over the usual delivery period from last year...

No locos with wires and electronics in this one, just four, four-packs of relatively "dumb" Bachy wagons...

Writing as a regular purchaser from Hattons, I will try to explain for AdamVB's benefit what happens. Next Day Delivery is mentioned yes, but this kicks in once the parcel has been packed and once it has been despatched. Hattons keep customers well informed with emails as to how things are progressing. If I remember correctly it goes something like this :-

1)......I order goods on website..

2).....An email arrives saying the order has gone though and thanking me for the order.

3)... The next email tells me it is being packed by such and such a person on staff.

4)... Next email informs me it is being despatched on such a date and I am given a tracking number.

5) ...It arrives next day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just pointing out here with no intention of insulting anyone or calling them names

Just to get the record straight

The above points 1 to 5 refer to the payment of Hattons 'ordinary' £4 shipping charge

So if we add point 6..................

if one elects to pay £7.00 and the prder is placed befor 2-00 pm. ( Or if ordering on a Friday before 2pm and wishes to have SATURDAY before 12.00 delivery the cost is £8.00) Then the order gets priority handling and it is SHIPPED OUT The same day and then gets delivered the next day.

I always use this method and it has never failed.

The cost of £7 /£8 may seem high but consider that todays cost of fuel means that if you live more than say 25 Miles from Hattons premises then it would cost more to collect personally, to say nothing of the time involved. ( I live around 35 mile from Hattons plus there is the Mersey Tunnel a well with its TOLL charges!!)

I mentioned in my first post....here again

"Didn't arrive today so I rang and was told by Paris in their order team who said it should go out today but wouldn't likely come tomorrow as the phrase "DHL Next Working Day Before noon" does not gaurantee delivery next day before noon, and actually would likely be 3-5 days (which is somewhat misleading). Needless to say I've cancelled the order, especially in light of the lack of apology."

I don't think its right regardless of cost that if it says next day delivery it should be sent out on a 3-5 day delivery service with DHL which is what Paris told me - thats why I'm so surprised that you guys think I'm being a troll. As I said in my second post - if that is the case they should say "3-5 day delivery" rather than next day. In semantics, yes this isn't mis-selling - I suppose the correct term would be misleading as they say next day and it isn't. If you are aware they mean something else then you might be happier with this - as I was not aware that they do not, obviously I will take my trade elsewhere or pay the extra in future (the charge isn't of concern to me, simply the service being what is written) - Hattons obviously have plenty of happy customers from the responses to my opinions.

You don't seem to understand the difference between an express service you pay extra for and "when we can" which you don't, maybe you'd be better using another supplier. I also suggest you go and check what constitutes mis-selling before you use such emotive statements. It does not claim the delivery is next day after ordering :rolleyes:

Funny, all of your posts have been in this thread, now what does that remind me of ? see here

No smilies this time as I'm not laughing.

Thanks for the clarification - I have never heard of an internet troll (and as a result could only link your comment to suggesting I live under a bridge and attack passing travellers....).

I understand the difference in the two, it appears my original post has been misunderstood, but I feel I have been somewhat attacked by yourself for saying an opinion that obviously isnt your own.

• RMweb Gold

It's not that you differ in opinion thats at issue, it's because several people have pointed out where you have made assumptions and yet you still continue to ignore our replies, that's what a troll does.

To try once more, if you pay the premium you will get premium delivery, if you don't then you get as and when, typically in a few days, and I don't consider that unacceptable. Maybe you do so rather than ranting why not vote with your money, if the delivery had taken 5 weeks you might have had a point, but your own comments show you only waited a few days.

Typically introducing yourself would have been a good idea, I'm afraid I've been here a good few years and I've seen plenty of people join, rant and leave - especially when they don't get agreement with their comments, it would be nice if we could move on and you could say hello.

We'll have to agree to differ on this! You seem to be still missing my point and you think I'm missing yours - I've said I will go elsewhere, I just wanted others to know that the £4 next day delivery isn't what it says on the tin regardless of how long they take to dispatch as it is dispatch time + 3-5 days not dispatch and not next day delivery after dispatch. If you want the latter you need to pay for the £7 next day delivery.

You are a strong supporter of Hattons, and have your opinions thats cool - they must have met your expectations in a way they didn't mine and others on this forum (from reading posts) - I will introduce myself in the introduction section of the forum and look forward to posting elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Having for the first time had to return an item to Hattons as it was damaged beyond repair - not by them nor apparently in the mailing from them to me but by a "rough shunt" between China and Liverpool - I had an exchange of emails confirming they were willing for me to return the goods by the cheapest airfreight service available rather than surface mail which can take at least three months. My logic in asking about this was that while Hattons normally insists returns come by the cheapest service they acknowledged the possibility of the item being out of stock after some months and of the inconvenience to myself of having to wait that long before getting my replacement.

So air mail it was and just as they promised the cost of the airmail was refunded to me upon arrival of the item back in Liverpool.

It then took another four weeks for the replacement item (which has been continually listed as "More than 10 in stock" and so was not awaited from their own supplier) to arrive by CityLink. I wasn't given the option of changing carrier and the original order specified CityLink and was placed before the troubles were known about.

Given that all the issues are actually beyond Hattons' control I am more than happy with their service. My argument would be with CityLink if I had a contract directly with them, and with the manufacturer if I had a contract directly with them. The replacement item is also damaged but not nearly as badly and can be repaired and run so it will be staying here rather than hoping for "Third time lucky" in another couple of months!

Have to rush to hattons defence here. I have used them a lot and always had impeccable service. Including return of faulty goods.

I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

I second that Neal, not only is the returns service impeccable, they do advise their actions (EG Credit card refunded etc) by email provided they have it of course and it is usually done the same day they receive the returned items (s)

I wasn't given the option of changing carrier and the original order specified CityLink and was placed before the troubles were known about.

I believe Hattons do have a contract with City Link, as it is the only way they can offer to despatch goods for as little as £4.00. However the option of changing carrier is not a viable option. The reason is another carrier would want between £15.00 and £19.00 to collect and delivery a 'next day' package.

How I know this is because many of us in the model trade used Interlink and then City Link for a good many years until some young wizzo demanded we spend a minimum invoice of £50.00 per week. We went to the GPO. But if someone can fill a van with for example, packages or exhaust pipes, they can negotiate extramely good terms.

• RMweb Gold

I've always been pleased with Hattons mail order on the occasions I've used them. On Monday I went to my local model rail shop and they hadn't got the Bachmann decoders I wanted (and didn't know when they could get them) so on Monday evening I sent an order to Hattons and received them first thing Wednesday morning. Postage & packing was £2 due to light weight of items. Very pleased. I've never had any difficulty understanding the £4/£7 service in the past!

Tony

We'll have to agree to differ on this! You seem to be still missing my point and you think I'm missing yours - I've said I will go elsewhere, I just wanted others to know that the £4 next day delivery isn't what it says on the tin regardless of how long they take to dispatch as it is dispatch time + 3-5 days not dispatch and not next day delivery after dispatch. If you want the latter you need to pay for the £7 next day delivery.

You are a strong supporter of Hattons, and have your opinions thats cool - they must have met your expectations in a way they didn't mine and others on this forum (from reading posts) - I will introduce myself in the introduction section of the forum and look forward to posting elsewhere.

There's quite clearly been a misunderstanding here, perhaps it was how Hattons worded it, or how you comprehended it...

The £4 delivery charge does include next working day delivery AFTER the item has been dispatched. Between you ordering and Hattons dispatching could be a couple of days depending on how many orders they are dealing with, and where your order is on the list.

What you appear to have missed is that Hattons do not pack an order as soon as they confirm it, as they could be dealing with hundreds of orders at the time. It may take them a couple of days to get you order ready, but once it is dispatched, it should arrive the next day (if traffic and weather conditions are in your favour).

In the interests of "closing the door" my re-sent locomotive from Hatton's turned up safe and sound in Gotham City this morning.

Despite the issues I had on breakage and then very late delivery of the replacement NOT one problem can be laid at the feet of Hatton's - their two Customer Service reps (who's names begin with S and A) kept me fully up to date - at least as much as they could.

Hooray!

Best, Pete.

As a long standing, and previously highly satisfied and loyal customer of Hattons, it pains me to say that ever since they opened their warehouse, their overseas service has declined horribly.

I used to receive deliveries from them, regular as clockwork, within 5-10 days of them notifying me of shipping. Since the warehouse opened, this has grown to an average of 15-20 days. At present I'm still awaiting deliveries which were allegedly shipped on 6th and 8th December, respectively...

I have provided them with the appropriate feedback. Although I realise that the current wait period encompasses the Xmas / New Year break and some bad weather in the UK, I note that one of the items I'm waiting for, a pre-ordered 7F which shipped on 6th December, made it into the hands of RMWeb members in Australia and New Zealand before the end of December.. California is a lot closer!

Over the same time period I've had a parcel from Kernow, with no delays whatsoever. Hence my disappointment with Hattons right now.

I too have been highly satisfied with Hattons, All orders beening delivered within a week to Ireland. Until now, I put an order in on 1st Febuary which I am still waiting for. It took them ten days before they sent it!!. Now its lost within City Link, even though it should have gone by Royal Mail (always did before and I always got it within 3/5 days) I am disgusted with there excuse, still not give me a satisfactory answer as to why it is taking all this time. I have learnt more off this link as to why they are having trouble than they ever told me. Yesterday they asked me if I will mind waiting anouther few weeks!!! I will not tell you what my answer was. It seems a great shame, for Hattons is/was a great Company now they seem to have no idea even how to talk to customers

Just wanted to say that, as a UK-based on-line customer, I've not encountered any problems, nor any delays, over any transaction with Hattons. I've had about 4 or 5 separate orders during 2011 so far, only difference has been the lack of string!:P

The box that my Oxford N Scale BEA RF was packed in would probably have accepted a 1/43rd scale RT double-decker let alone an RF single-decker, so I got quite a lot of free new bubble wrap as a bonus!:D

Some of their pre-order prices, as well as their clearance offers are very attractive, so they still get my vote!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Just got my 'picked and packed' email from Hattons for 4 No. Bachfar cement wagons pre-ordered September 2010.

Lets see how long it takes from Liverpool to Barcelona...

...of course if Hattons were based in North London, I could have asked the Arsenal football team to drop it off next week on their Champions League return leg visit :lol:

I had an email notification from Hattons yesterday, telling me my that part of a previous order – a pre-ordered Bachy 20 Ton Brake Van – was 'in stock and ready to order'. So I thought, if I need to order it again, I'll order two – and promptly did. I had email confirmation of purchase, only then to receive another email confirming that money had been deducted from my card for the single Brake Van which had been part of my original order. Obviously, I'd jumped the gun, so I emailed Hattons immediately to cancel that single order and retain the new order for two.

Yesterday evening I had a 'despatched' confirmation email for the single item and this morning a message from a friend in the UK (I'm in Spain) telling me that it had already been delivered. 'B***er', I thought. Then my mobile phone rang and it was Hattons, confirming the mix-up and querying how many Brake Vans I actually wanted. I've had confirmation of a refund and that they are sending the second Brake Van today (and the total postage is still the same as if both had been posted together) so let's see if that arrives tomorrow. They seem to be impressively efficient when pillocks like me don't throw a spanner in the works!

Incedentally, I daren't test Hattons overseas capabilities simply because the post in general in Spain is very inconsistent… anything from arriving three days after being posted from the UK (amazing but rare), to just not arriving at all (decidedly cr@p and has happened on more than one occasion), so I'd rather pick up my 'important' items on my visits to the UK.

• RMweb Premium

In an interesting development, received a parcel yesterday from Hattons without either string or brown paper...instead it was in a smart new brown 'copier paper sized box, with the Hattons logo printed on one side!

Looks very smart and with the recent move to packing with bubble wrap too, they seem to be looking to improve the packaging used now they're in their new warehouse.

Can agree with all the positive comments about hattons. I have used them several times and always received items very quickly. Items always packed very well and very good pricing.

Usually my first choice for buying online, on the rare chance hattons doesn't stock something i will look elsewhere.

Always listed the correct stock status online. Which i feel is the best thing any company can do when trading online.

Looks very smart and with the recent move to packing with bubble wrap too, they seem to be looking to improve the packaging used now they're in their new warehouse.

Rails of Sheffield has been shipping my US bound packages in nice boxes with each individual manufacturer boxed item wrapped in bubble wrap. Rails also use a large sticky ribbon that states FRAGILE in no uncertain terms. Hattons may be playing catch-up in this regard. I don't mind the improved packaging, it can't cost that much extra, and nothing goes to waste on this end.

It is just unfortunate that it now apparently takes about six weeks for >500g airmail packages to reach these shores... ohmy.gif

Only problems I've ever had with Hattons:

Advance orders - my problem. I didn't realise that it meant paying P&P a multiplicity of times. Solution? Email alerts - and order when enough stuff is in to makie it worth my while. Problem solved.

Returns - only once, to be fair - but I didn't get my P&P refunded.

One small problem really, and back I go. Sensible prices, fsir P&P, good packaging, service as fast as is practicable. Can't ask for more. They're probably really pleasant to talk to as well, but I only use them online.

• RMweb Gold

Just got my 'picked and packed' email from Hattons for 4 No. Bachfar cement wagons pre-ordered September 2010.

...of course if Hattons were based in North London, I could have asked the Arsenal football team to drop it off next week on their Champions League return leg visit :lol:

OK - Picking list sent last Wednesday and Package arrives in Barca today...

post-3290-0-79953000-1299601734_thumb.jpg

Postage charged from UK to Spain was £1.50...

and if you are curious to know what was in it...

post-3290-0-87003600-1299601749_thumb.jpg

4 new Farish weathered Blue circle PCA's...

Ironic that the package arrived today...am sure Arsene Wenger brought it in his Easyjet hand luggage ahead of tonight...as if :lol:

• RMweb Premium

I am sorry to have to report two further instances of dissatisfaction with Hattons though it has yet to be determined whether the situation was within their control.

Two payments were taken from my card account in early February. One is an exact match for value with an order placed around 2 days previously and the other matches in value a part-order of in-stock items with the balance being pre-ordered new items.

I received one email advising that one of those orders had been despatched but no word on the second order at all. Neither order generated a picking email as has often (but by no means always) been sent. To date no goods have been received over three weeks later and I have sent an enquiry email to Liverpool asking for their explanation.

Both orders had Royal Mail air selected at a slightly higher cost than the cheapest CityLink option in the knowledge of the problems that carrier had experienced and with an anticipated delivery of around 7-10 days from despatch.

I await Hattons reply since the problem may genuinely lie with the mail service and not with them but until that is known I have no other course of action available.

• RMweb Premium

They would have got damaged from all the tears, so just as well you didn't ask.

:P

Kevin Martin

Archived