Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

That's what makes me suspect these manufacturers, and their 'announcements'; throw an idea to the public, and see how they bite, if the reaction isn't good enough - it gets quietly dropped - for now!

That might well be true for some. Others clearly announce when they are well down the path of developing CAD and/or tooling.

• RMweb Gold

I recently acquired a Crownline  'conversion' kit for the awful old Hornby King body.

A Jamieson nickel-silver King will be used for the boiler instead.

I know that the Swindon boilers are different but with some cutting down/adding to and slight diameter adjustment should prove sufficient, but hopefully an 'all metal' engine will evolve.

Watch this space!

• Like 1

...I know that the Swindon boilers are different but with some cutting down/adding to and slight diameter adjustment should prove sufficient, but hopefully an 'all metal' engine will evolve...

Wouldn't a Castle boiler be a better starting point? They were, after all, just a light weight version of the 47XX boiler, 3" smaller diameter but otherwise the same, and with the same firebox.

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Some time ago, I started putting £1 a week into an old coffee jar marked "Heljan Loco Fund" as a bit of a joke.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm beginning to think I shall have saved enough to buy both a 1366 and a 47xx by the time they arrive.  :jester:

I am usually disappointed by the contents of Bachmann's, annual "progress report", but at least they offer something of an update.

Should I divert my savings to the purchase of a crystal ball?

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't a Castle boiler be a better starting point? They were, after all, just a light weight version of the 47XX boiler, 3" smaller diameter but otherwise the same, and with the same firebox.

Nick.

Thanks Nick.

Yes it would but I don't have a nickel-silver one of those!

The Jamieson King boiler makes up 'open' underneath to allow for diameter reduction.

Hopefully when it's finished "it will look like a 47xx so it must be a 47xx"! :P

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere that they were nicknamed NIght Owls by crews at Saltley SHed as they were mainly used on overnight freights. Trouble is I cannot remember where I read it.

Just browsing through the Dictionary of a Railway Slang - by Harvey Sheppard -1965. A booklet produced by Somerset Education Committee Dillington House college for Adult Education, Ilminster ,Somerset. The copy I have refers to the second edition 'being reprinted to meet demands of railwaymen who continue to attend Dillington House. Additions to the dictionary are welcome and should be sent to the warden'.

The dedication in the book also refers to courses and conferences run at Dillington since 1951 attended

'by railwaymen of all regions in Great Britain. They have given me examples of railway slang and this booklet is the result'

Within the book, the 'Owl' is referred to refer to a Paddington to Penzance overnight train. Since these were often hauled by 47XX might that be where the modern corruption has come from?

The same book mentions 57XX being 'matchboxes' and a 97XX with condensing equipment a 'Tunnel motor'. 9f's - Combine Harevesters!

Regards

Matt Wood

Edited by D826

Just browsing through the Dictionary of a Railway Slang - by Harvey Sheppard -1965. A booklet produced by Somerset Education Committee Dillington House college for Adult Education, Ilminster ,Somerset. The copy I have refers to the second edition 'being reprinted to meet demands of railwaymen who continue to attend Dillington House. Additions to the dictionary are welcome and should be sent to the warden'.

The dedication in the book also refers to courses and conferences run at Dillington since 1951 attended

'by railwaymen of all regions in Great Britain. They have given me examples of railway slang and this booklet is the result'

Within the book, the 'Owl' is referred to refer to a Paddington to Penzance overnight train. Since these were often hauled by 47XX might that be where the modern corruption has come from?

The same book mentions 57XX being 'matchboxes' and a 97XX with condensing equipment a 'Tunnel motor'. 9f's - Combine Harevesters!

Regards

Matt Wood

It is my understanding that 'Tunnel Motor' refers to the Dean 633 class 0-6-0 side tanks with condensing gear that preceeded the 97xx class - although the later engines probably carried on the tradition.

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

It is my understanding that 'Tunnel Motor' refers to the Dean 633 class 0-6-0 side tanks with condensing gear that preceeded the 97xx class - although the later engines probably carried on the tradition.

Gerry

97s were known as 'tunnel motors at Old Oak.  I have spoken to a couple of men who fired on 633s in the Smithfield Link at Old Oak but neither of them referred to them as 'tunnel motors' although it is not at all unlikely taht they may well have also been given that name.

Regards

Matt Wood

Alas I missed out on the Diliington House courses - by the time I went on one the WR courses had been transferred to the WR Training School at Westbury and were run wholly internally.  I suspect a book of railway slang was intended as much for the use of Dillington House staff as those attending the courses as I can just imagine one of the 'mock' consultation meetings on the course descending into 'railway speak' leaving the outside tutors gasping (should that be 'grasping'?) to understand what was being talked about.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

I'd love to see some of the progress on this. Even a very early CAD or something.

Like their 1366 announcement, they say they're doing it and then you don't hear a dickie bird.Frustrating for potential customers.

Like their 1366 announcement, they say they're doing it and then you don't hear a dickie bird.Frustrating for potential customers.

I don,t think they actually announced it themselves, just a poster at a build a new 47xx group strongly hinted it was in Heljans plans.

I agree that Heljans time scales have gone though the roof though, this puts them on a bad footing with the loco that both they and Kernow are doing.

Cannot wait to order the 47xx, when details become known someday....

I don,t think they actually announced it themselves, just a poster at a build a new 47xx group strongly hinted it was in Heljans plans.

I agree that Heljans time scales have gone though the roof though, this puts them on a bad footing with the loco that both they and Kernow are doing.

At Warley last year there was a large poster on the Heljan stand.

Definitely announced! Definitely by Heljan!

Luke

• Like 1

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92766-news-from-warley-2014/?p=1672222

Luke

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

47xxs' were  so nicknamed because they originally were employed on overnight work ,they also appeared post war on Saturadays only holiday traffic to and from west of england , ie,Paignton Kingswear . RK

There is picture in Russell showing express lamps captioned to be from 1930s and another I have seen somewhere showing one at Cowley Bridge with a summer express also dated in the 30s. I imagine that these were always popular for summer Saturday's when loads increased and schedules relaxed. Probably as the 30s continued the multiplication of Halls, Granges and particularly Castles would have reduced the use until the 50s explosion of services. I have nothing to support this assertion though.

Oakhill

There is picture in Russell showing express lamps captioned to be from 1930s and another I have seen somewhere showing one at Cowley Bridge with a summer express also dated in the 30s. I imagine that these were always popular for summer Saturday's when loads increased and schedules relaxed. Probably as the 30s continued the multiplication of Halls, Granges and particularly Castles would have reduced the use until the 50s explosion of services. I have nothing to support this assertion though.

Oakhill

During the 1930's the 47XX engine tasked with the overnight fitted to London, took over the train from Exeter. To get to Exeter the 47xx worked a local train. There are many photographs of a 47XX on local lamps on the seawall section taken on this duty.

http://www.knowles-cadbury-brown.co.uk/4709/Media/GalleyTeignmouth.jpg

http://www.4709.org.uk/Media/Gallery4707Dawlish.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3