Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

A quick thought on time.  If you have waited 2 years for something, it took barely half that time for Western Region locos to go from well kept to the worst on the whole BR system. If you have waited 5 years, that barely covers the duration of World War Two or the use of fully lined out livery on GWR coaches, or even the lifespan of some 9F 2-10-0's. I dont know about you, but I can't remember how I filled my time during the past 3 years, so I'm not going to sit by a Calendar ticking of days to the release of a RTR product.....  :mail:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It's not so much the wait time, it's more the fact that they seem to refuse to want to release any info about it. Usually samples etc are shown prior to tooling but they are just ploughing in through and seemingly ignoring the customer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's not so much the wait time, it's more the fact that they seem to refuse to want to release any info about it. Usually samples etc are shown prior to tooling but they are just ploughing in through and seemingly ignoring the customer.

Heljan is a Danish company with only a token UK presence in the form of Howes. Frustrating though it may be they are under no obligation legal or otherwise to reveal anything whatsoever.As far as "the customer"is concerned,I have some sympathy with this approach,given the quirks and eccentricities displayed by a few.

Personally, I have gotten used to the new "make a stake" and then deliver the goods 4 years approach that Heljan now follow. In the past, things used to appear within 1 to 2 years and often with serious errors (class 23 windows in wrong place, DP2 cab roofs wrong shape, class 33 too shallow, etc etc).

So one thing I learned is when manufacturers rush these things, it leads to mistakes in the form of wrong shape, misplaced items or missing items. So if they are taking their time getting the design right then it will be worth the wait.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Although some might be surprised to hear it I have no interest in a 47XX so have no axe to grind over this one.  However the critical thing is that the one will be the only one the r-t-r model railway industry is ever likely to produce which makes it fairly critical that - all other things being equal - at least the basic shape and dimensions are done correctly.  And if it means that takes longer to get through development and tooling then so be it.  Highly standardised (so called) GWR engines often turn out to be anything but that with even small classes showing quite significant difference in detail from engine to engine and over time on the same engine - for example the 1366 small panniers are an excellent example of that and there were of course also detail differences, plus changes over time, on the 47XX.  So if Heljan are going to get it right it could well take time particularly as they are also working on other projects.  Mind you they have shown themselves capable of getting things wrong - however long it hasn't taken them to do so.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is no excuse for inaccurate RTR models in this day and age, but sadly unwanted pregnancies still abound despite having come a long way since the galvanised bucket.  :biggrin_mini2:

Heljan did enlist the support of members of this forum whilst bringing the 02 into production.In fact,they have produced a pretty good model which sadly initially suffered QC problems as did the Hattons BG which admittedly looks the part. I am optimistic that the 47XX will be an accurate model.The only qualm I have is with its performance and the ever present problem of bits falling off.They have sufficient experience with Danish OO r-t-r to get this one right.Let's all just sit back and wait.

Well, I have 2 kit built ones.  It was a small class and a pair is likely to suffice to represent the class' duties on overnight WoE express freights.  The attraction of a third is to run in daylight on an excursion; not unknown in the '30s. 

So, it's a 'nice to have', rather than a 'must have', but, if, as I expect, it is a good model, I will strive to buy one.

Even the mythical Bachmann Birdcages have materialised in physical form.  I am sure the 4700 will too, I only hope its released in a form that will represent its first 15 years or so of service.

• Like 1

A couple or more came in for painting more than a few years ago and were pretty impressive in appearance not to mention weight! I seem to recall they were by Cotswold models. I may have done one for the box lid illustration but then again maybe not. I did paint Ron's buses.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple or more came in for painting more than a few years ago and were pretty impressive in appearance not to mention weight! I seem to recall they were by Cotswold models. I may have done one for the box lid illustration but then again maybe not. I did paint Ron's buses.

There was a Cotswold kit and not a bad one judging by a built-up one I acquired at auction a few years ago.  I sold it on to someone who wanted a static model partly because it didn't suit my layout intentions and partly because it could hardly move itself let alone a train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There was a Cotswold kit and not a bad one judging by a built-up one I acquired at auction a few years ago.  I sold it on to someone who wanted a static model partly because it didn't suit my layout intentions and partly because it could hardly move itself let alone a train.

An all too familiar curse of (some) kit built models.

As 4700 had a completely different boiler in it's early years, I would not get too hopeful.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks, Mike.  I thought it was only the prototype loco that had a No.1 boiler, and then only 1919-1921.  Thereafter it, in common with the remaining locos, had a number 7 boiler.  I was not aware of a further change.

I am interested in 1935, which proves to be exotically early for a lot of RTR releases!

Thanks, Mike.  I thought it was only the prototype loco that had a No.1 boiler, and then only 1919-1921.  Thereafter it, in common with the remaining locos, had a number 7 boiler.  I was not aware of a further change.

I am interested in 1935, which proves to be exotically early for a lot of RTR releases!

You are correct. Only 4700 had the no 1 boiler. The only other major visual difference, for the rest of the class, was the recess for the snifting valves on the cylinders on 4701-4.

I too have a two already, a Nucast and a Jamieson hand cut. They are not run that often and cannot see me justifying another.

Mike

Edited by Coach bogie

• 1 month later...