Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

2 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

100_8772a.jpg.06debc33bcc67ace1bb8adcafcd1c2e9.jpg

That scene has changed considerably since then - it's now virtually unrecognisable! The 'arches' one the right has since gone, and huge tower blocks just beyond. Oh, and a brand new footbridge.  May 2021 Google image:

image.png.a5e68da013f51df99d2417b81b29022d.png

Edited by Coppercap
image added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

That scene has changed considerably since then - it's now virtually unrecognisable! The 'arches' one the right has since gone, and huge tower blocks just beyond. Oh, and a brand new footbridge.  May 2021 Google image:

image.png.a5e68da013f51df99d2417b81b29022d.png

Blimey - unrecognisable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

A couple of birds-eye views of 93's roof:

100_8772a.jpg.06debc33bcc67ace1bb8adcafcd1c2e9.jpgP1060539a.jpg.b67c300329ebb24a286b860c1a9f73b3.jpg

NB. The chimney hadn't fallen out in the box - it was removed to allow travel over NR, within the loading gauge.

And there I was thinking this was a post from the 'Prototype for everything' thread. 😀

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

Mine was 30/11/22 and was processed Monday, coming today according to RM.🙂

Received my shipping email today so should be with me soon, hopefully!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 57xx said:

It's been 10 years since this was announced and people haven't got the patience to wait another week or two. Give the guys a break!

Don't buy into the false narrative.

There is nothing but love here for Kernow, and a little gentle humour to wile away the passing hour while we wait for this fantastic model.

Turn away now if you find mixed metaphors upsetting, but, with apologies to brittle egos, let's not poison the well of goodwill with po-faced pearl clutching. 

Kernow, very helpfully, mentioned today that they have nearly 3,000 pre-orders. Now by my reckoning they've had less than 12 working days by this point, so they'd have to be sending 250 a day to be anywhere near close to clearing the pre-orders. I don't think anyone here would expect them to manage that or complain that they haven't! Having seen what the small Locomotion team went through shipping out Rapido's Stirling Single, I am entirely in sympathy and suspect Kernow is doing a sterling job behind the scenes. I don't imagine they are helped in these efforts by people taking unnecessary offence on their behalf.  It takes all sorts, I suppose.

All good things come to those who wait, so in the meantime, I'm content to be lazin' on a sunny afternoon

image.png.8f09b6098969e3c35d5ba3e07aac4615.png    

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

56 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

The roof took a beating didn't it! - Looking forward to the first weathering.. 

As did the copper cap. A friend of mine had the job of knocking the dent out.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

A replacement 'bus service might be more appropriate!

image.png.877724146d727fdd73d83269a95eba5e.png 

There was a bus service through our village in the early 1900s but I can see why the doctor preferred to use his car!

IMG_4336.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

There was a bus service through our village in the early 1900s but I can see why the doctor preferred to use his car!

IMG_4336.jpeg

Is that a D2 (current bus route) going through Norton St Philip?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Midford Halt said:

Is that a D2 (current bus route) going through Norton St Philip?

Spot on . No WiFi then! The shop I mentioned is next door to the Fleur de Lys facing the George Inn.

• Like 1

After an extra 24 hours in delivery, No 85 has finally arrived.

There was no need for me to have been worried about it being in the APC van an extra day as the packaging and box were well up to it. Not even a loose chimney.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 57xx said:

It's been 10 years since this was announced and people haven't got the patience to wait another week or two. Give the guys a break!

I agree - especially as Sherry tells me mine has just been delivered in Torquay! I shan't see it until 13th February. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

A couple of birds-eye views of 93's roof:

100_8772a.jpg.06debc33bcc67ace1bb8adcafcd1c2e9.jpg

NB. The chimney hadn't fallen out in the box - it was removed to allow travel over NR, within the loading gauge.

Yes, I can confirm that the Chimney cap was removed from 93 when running on NR metals (and to get it into the shed at Didcot!) as it was outside the current NR loading gauge.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Blimey - unrecognisable.

As is most of the lineside between West Drayton and Ealing Broadway,  then at Old Oak.  Huge numbers of tower blocks have been thrown up in those areas - presumably in order to house the country's artificially inflated population?   It's as bad going into Waterloo - another near unrecognisable lineside,.

The worst (sme might say best?) bit on the GWML is that you can no longer accurately position yourself between Dawley and Southall East almost entirely by the changing lineside aromas wafting into carriage windows that no longer open - the HMV/EMI record factory is now flats, the coffee factory has vanished under yet more flats, the creosoting works has vanished under warehouses (aka 'industrial units').  and the cod liver oil factory and jam factory at Southall are both long  gone as is Southall shed as a busy spot, while the packaged curry factory on the former AEC London bus factory site seems to emit no aromas to penetrate the aircon systems of today's trains.  

Loads more housing but many fewer jobs - even the ice cream factory (with its emergency alarm system to close the railway !!) by Friars Bridge junction has gone.

PS However thus far tthe track layout and signalling I specified in the early 1990s into the  Doen side freight loops and yard at Southall station (and at West Junction) has survived intact.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

As is most of the lineside between West Drayton and Ealing Broadway,  then at Old Oak.  Huge numbers of tower blocks have been thrown up in those areas - presumably in order to house the country's artificially inflated population?   It's as bad going into Waterloo - another near unrecognisable lineside,.

The approach to Kings Cross doesn't exactly resemble Copenhagen Fields these days either.

Would a child of today from North London recognise where the MRC's layout was set?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The worst (sme might say best?) bit on the GWML is that you can no longer accurately position yourself between Dawley and Southall East almost entirely by the changing lineside aromas wafting into carriage windows that no longer open - the HMV/EMI record factory is now flats, the coffee factory has vanished under yet more flats, the creosoting works has vanished under warehouses (aka 'industrial units').  and the cod liver oil factory and jam factory at Southall are both long  gone as is Southall shed as a busy spot, while the packaged curry factory on the former AEC London bus factory site seems to emit no aromas to penetrate the aircon systems of today's trains.  

Loads more housing but many fewer jobs - even the ice cream factory (with its emergency alarm system to close the railway !!) by Friars Bridge junction has gone.

PS However thus far tthe track layout and signalling I specified in the early 1990s into the  Doen side freight loops and yard at Southall station (and at West Junction) has survived intact.

Thanks Mike - I have photos taken many years ago of me in the old Margarine factory loading dock during the GWRPG time there. Plus of course the unloading of the 28xx from Barry!

Different times.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

in order to house the country's artificially inflated population?  

Our (thankfully ex) next door neighbour could be found in the garden on a dark night in his rubber suit, artificially inflated.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

He's moved to Ireland. 😇

Go on, Go on, tell us, which member of the Accurascale team is he?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Our (thankfully ex) next door neighbour could be found in the garden on a dark night in his rubber suit, artificially inflated.

That's just a cunning disguise.  In real life he's a railway modeller but doesn't want everyone to know 🤣

• Funny 1

• Moderators
Just now, Gwiwer said:

In real life he's a railway modeller

He was probably ashamed that might get found out. Anyway, his replacement is a modeller and heritage volunteer; and doesn't smell of rubber.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Getting back on topic, mine, which I ordered on 26 Nov 2014, arrived today. I havent taken it out of its inner packaging yet, although I have opened the box and had a good look at it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Mike - I have photos taken many years ago of me in the old Margarine factory loading dock during the GWRPG time there. Plus of course the unloading of the 28xx from Barry!

Different times.

I've got loads of photos of 4110's journey from Barry to Southall along the A40, and then the unloading. Were you a GWRPG member back then? I was.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1