Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

1911: One 70ft SRM duty to Kingsbridge on Sundays Only. (But none of the Laira SRMs at that time were diagram O or R.)

Correct.

I misssed the line "On Sundays two auto trains and two motors worked the suburban services with on of the motors two trips to Brent and the other one trip to Kingsbridge"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

According to the shed allocations shown in the Wild Swan GWR engine sheds book for the London division, the following SRM were allocated in 1930:

Southall nos 74 and 96

Slough nos 55 and 64

Reading no 88

In the book of Henley-on-Thames SRM no 39 is shown at Platform 1 in 1931.

I need to do some research as to the particular diagram numbers of the above.

55, 64 & 74 are diag O, 88 & 96 are diag R.

96 wasn't at Southall for long arriving on 3 Jul 29 and departing to Yatton on 4 Jun 30. It spent 48 days in works during Apr/May 30.

Info from the allocations section in Lewis's SRM book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

55, 64 & 74 are diag O, 88 & 96 are diag R.

96 wasn't at Southall for long arriving on 3 Jul 29 and departing to Yatton on 4 Jun 30. It spent 48 days in works during Apr/May 30.

Info from the allocations section in Lewis's SRM book.

Thanks Keith, its a book I don’t have, so that’s useful thank you.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see there has been an update on the Kernow project page:

With the livery artwork now approved we anticipate receiving [edit 28/07/22] early August (delayed slightly due to a further Covid related restriction within China) decorated samples of each livery to evaluate, and along with checking the minor tooling amendments, hopefully approve. 
Only once we are able to fully approve the decorated samples and tooling revisions will we be in a position to confirm the production schedule.

Hopefully the decorated samples will be in the UK soon. Presumably we are looking at delivery dates in 2023 some time....

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/04/2022 at 15:34, The Stationmaster said:

Actually the 'bus was not as quick as the train - and still isn't.  The old through trains could do the trip in no more than 30 minutes (actually 12 minutes on the branch, 5 minutes reverse at Twyford, 11 minutes Twyford - Reading) whereas the most direct 'bus route goes off the main road to serve a couple of villages so takes longer

There have in recent years been a couple of services - one operated by Carousel, the other the Thames Travel X38, which ran direct between Caversham and Henley, however neither no longer operates. Though of course they still went via Caversham Bridge which in itself is still quite a lengthy diversion. I suspect it may actually be quicker to walk from the bus stop in Reading to the St John's Road bus stop in Lower Caversham than to get the bus, but I've never tested it. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The Carousel service was quicker because it went main road all the way (so not serving all the villages) and avoided the centre of Caversham by using the Lower Henley Road (or it did on the only occasion when I travelled on it).  It would seemingly also make unofficial stops to drop off it you spoke nicely to the driver and that definitely reduced my overall journey time.

But nowadays we are back with the train being quicker than the 'bus at many times of the day (in some cases provided you are prepared to travel on one of the awful TfL units on the main line bit).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The Carousel service was quicker because it went main road all the way (so not serving all the villages) and avoided the centre of Caversham by using the Lower Henley Road (or it did on the only occasion when I travelled on it).  It would seemingly also make unofficial stops to drop off it you spoke nicely to the driver and that definitely reduced my overall journey time.

But nowadays we are back with the train being quicker than the 'bus at many times of the day (in some cases provided you are prepared to travel on one of the awful TfL units on the main line bit).

Whilst the Carousel service may have use the Lower Henley Road, I think all that avoided was the Henley Road shops - I think it still went over Caversham Bridge.

Another point where the train holds the upper hand is that the bus service finishes quite early in the evening. From where I live it is much easier for me to catch the bus to Henley than to walk to the station, catch a train, and change at Twyford, but it limits when I can come back. I have on several occasions seen productions advertised at the Kenton Theatre that I would have liked to have attended, but didn't fancy hanging around waiting for a connection at Twyford station late at night on the way home. (By contrast, the X39/X40 service to/from Oxford via Wallingford runs late into the evening so I can see productions at Wallingford Playhouse if I want to).

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The last three decorated samples to compete the set arrived only last week,  just a couple of days before the KMRC anniversary event this weekend where they are currently on show. 

Once they have been fully evaluated a full update with pictures will be made in due course. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Are any details available regards provisions for fitting a speaker?

They will all be factory fitted with a 28mm speaker located within the luggage compartment. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

They will all be factory fitted with a 28mm speaker located within the luggage compartment. 

Even the DC versions? 😆

Really looking forward to the next update with the new decoration samples.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Davidjsmith said:

Would be really nice if Sound fitted were made available with my hands that brake what I try to take apart!!I would order GWR chocolate & cream too I think!Probably will anyway!

Watch this space... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

It's a fully enclosed area but not sealed as such. 

Thanks, Graham. My understanding is that speakers produce improved sound when they have a rigid sealed enclosure behind them.

Is it too late to consider this in the model?

Maybe a 3D-printed aftermarket insert to form a sealed enclosure might do the job.

• Like 1