Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

the possibility that No. 63 was never actually painted all-brown, but instead skipped straight to red lake,

I don't think so as the photo is at Oxford where it was allocated for a couple of years and crimson lake didn't appear until it had moved elsewhere.

It also acquired windows bars late 1912 and it doesn't have them in that photo.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

From the caption on Morant's page I got the impression that Oxford was not certain. But the window bars may clinch it, and I hope you are right as it looks great in all brown!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

From the caption on Morant's page I got the impression that Oxford was not certain. But the window bars may clinch it, and I hope you are right as it looks great in all brown!

Plenty of other photos taken from the north end of the down platform at Oxford will confirm it.

The girders are for the bridge over the waterway (Sheepwash Channel) that links the River Thames (to the left) to the Oxford Canal (to the right) via Isis Lock.

What appears to be large vents on top of a vehicle at the back of the railcar are the vents on the roof of the LNWR shed.

The backing signal is also a giveaway. (There's another with the finial just popping above the rear of the SRM roof.) These lasted until BR built a new gantry in the early 1960s(?)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, that's certainly convincing.

There's a photo (link below) of what seems to be No. 82 (diagram Q) at Oxford published in the GWR Magazine in May 1912. It may be of particular interest to @Dana Ashdown, as it shows the two off-set "GWR"s in the waist panel (if you look closely). That and the publication date makes it pretty certain that it's in 1908-1912 all-brown. No. 82 wasn't built until May 1907, so if it was turned out in choc and cream as built then it suggests a repaint within max 5 years.

https://culhamstation.co.uk/bits/loststations/lost.html

In any case, I'm beginning to think a pragmatic approach is required with regards to the two early KMRC models (No. 61 and 63). Given the build dates, livery periods and various modifications the time windows quickly become quite narrow for these two. My option A: Renumber to a prototype not photographed. My option B: Have a glass of something good and worry less 🙂

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I'll have a tenner on Oxford - there are some unmistakable features for the north end of Oxford station showing in that photo.

• Informative/Useful 1

Something similar?

Oswestry, perhaps some time between 1920 and 1927?

Great Western steam railcar operation in Central Wales has been largely unrecorded by contemporary railway observers and most of the following details are based on official records at the Public Records Office, extracted by the late Ralph Tutton. ..

(more follows)

Oswestry

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

According to Lewis No. 78 spent periods at Croes Newydd, Oswestry, Llanidloes, & Machynlleth from 1919-24 and didn't get back to that area until 1933 for a short period before withdrawal.

I notice It's started to lose it's beading.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

What a wonderful shot of No58 and his/her running mate with support staff and curious front undulating bodywork, particularly on the leading unit. Not reflections I think, but I can't reasonably fathom the reason. Maybe my Saturday morning head? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it's nice isn't it. I had assumed the undulating bodywork was just some fault in the image? The Alamy caption says it's Camarthen.

Prototype for everything, this is Lacock Halt in Wiltshire, diagram O No. 56. Pure bliss. 

25182970_Lacock1905.jpg.eaca90274f4ed4ade4110ec0949d2576.jpg

Edit: There's an explanation of the scene on the Didcot Railway Center's Facebook page. Apparently the inaugural train broke down and a loco had to help. Details here: 

https://www.facebook.com/DidcotRailwayCentre/photos/a.210517012308528/6320170158009819/

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Pure bliss

Sadly beyond touch, those halcyon days promising so much!

Wonderful photo full of charm and as you imply, an inspiring modelling opportunity with such an intriguing line up.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

this is Lacock Halt

...but not a "Halte". I've never got to the bottom of the spelling.  I always assumed that the frenchified version was an earlier/archaic spelling but it appears that it was ok in October 1905 without an "e" tagged on.... Trumpers Crossing Halte was openened on the Brentford Branch in May 1904, earlier than Lacock Halt but by rather less than a year.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, longchap said:

curious front undulating bodywork, particularly on the leading unit. Not reflections I think, but I can't reasonably fathom the reason

It might be ripples in the bodywork panels themselves, exaggerated by a midday sun directly overhead.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Was that brand-new outside Swindon Works?

The Alamy caption says "somewhere near Camarthen": 

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-historic-archive-image-of-railway-workers-pictured-in-front-of-railway-126295212.html?imageid=346EFE63-89C7-41E8-AEA5-231AE890D42D&p=364300&pn=1&searchId=e35c19cc67ca609ef825d56f9edb02d6&searchtype=0

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kitpw said:

...but not a "Halte". I've never got to the bottom of the spelling.  I always assumed that the frenchified version was an earlier/archaic spelling but it appears that it was ok in October 1905 without an "e" tagged on.... Trumpers Crossing Halte was openened on the Brentford Branch in May 1904, earlier than Lacock Halt but by rather less than a year.

Then to confuse further, there are "Platforms"

Kevin Robertson in his "Great Western Halts" books gives a bit of an answer, "Haltes" apparently in an homage to the roadside stops on European Roadside Light Railways but it seems "Halte" didn't last very long due to general mistrust of the French at the time. "Platforms" were supposed to be intermediate between a Halt and a Station, although as an example "Yardley Wood Platform"

when opened had full length proper platforms, substantial brick Built Buildings and was staffed, so no less than many stations.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 18/11/2022 at 00:48, Mikkel said:

There's a photo (link below) of what seems to be No. 82 (diagram Q) at Oxford published in the GWR Magazine in May 1912. It may be of particular interest to @Dana Ashdown, as it shows the two off-set "GWR"s in the waist panel (if you look closely). That and the publication date makes it pretty certain that it's in 1908-1912 all-brown. No. 82 wasn't built until May 1907, so if it was turned out in choc and cream as built then it suggests a repaint within max 5 years.

Well spotted Mikkel!

No.82 also has the small crests, but not under the GWR's. Adding them to the Kernow model should be a fairly simple modification using HMRS transfers, although perhaps this is an oversight on Kernow's part.

I was very tempted to order the lined chocolate and cream and the all-brown version, but sanity prevailed and I've settled for chocolate and cream (fattening, but tasty).😄

• Like 3