MRJ 235

Bulwell Hall

We've all got a Meldrew gland, just needs the right (or wrong ) stimulation.

Anyway, back to conventional MRJ fayre; I presume, by the lack of detailed issue 'discussion', many subs. copies have yet to arrive.

Mine is still awaited, not whinging, just commenting.

I thought Iit was a bumper edition when I started reading it, but it turned out that the first and last hafl a dozen pages had been attached twice!

Still a very interesting edition from a quick flick through - will settle down with a mug of hot chocolate and have a proper read later.

• RMweb Gold

No, but Arthur's MRJ 234 'Downfall' parody gets a mention in the letters page....

Andy

Made me smile that.  A perfect way of deflecting a repeat heated debate via the Letters pages.  Well done Mr Karau.  (Here's hoping it isn't simply delayed until the next issue.)

The other bit that made me laugh was Jerry Clifford's reference to Brian Harrap as "...an original thinker who tends to give convention a cheery wave as he passes it by on the other side of the street."   What better introduction could there be to an excellent article on the ever fascinating Quai:87?

Only skimmed it so far but 235 looks like it will be an enjoyable read.

...more bang for your bucks!

Actually it wasn't. Summat gone badly amiss somwehere ... front pages duplicated and then later pages missing - only realised when I started reading John Greenwood's article.

A quick 'phone call to Wild Swan and everything's resolved - another copy winging it's way to me.

Good job the N Gauge Journal and Archive and Railway Archive landed on the doormat as well this morning!

• RMweb Gold

Had a look for it in Sutton Coldfield Smiffs today, they are still trying to get shot of the controversial 234!

It appears Smiffs is without copies as yet - none in Reading on Friday and none here today - 'later this week' was all I was told.  Maybe the misbinding is causing a problem with circulation to some shops?  Ah well sounds like it's worth waiting for with the editing in Jerry's hands although mention of the 'operations quiz' has me worried.

It appears Smiffs is without copies as yet - none in Reading on Friday and none here today - 'later this week' was all I was told.  Maybe the misbinding is causing a problem with circulation to some shops?  Ah well sounds like it's worth waiting for with the editing in Jerry's hands although mention of the 'operations quiz' has me worried.

Went into my local newsagent in Chatteris today - still not in! Had spoken to him on Saturday and he said Smiff's (wholesale) still hadn't got it, so I suspect there is a problem somewhere.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

From expierence, smiffs usualy get their copies delivered on a Thursday, so if it ain't in on Friday it will probably be another week.

It's arrived.

Gauge One article I found very interesting.

4mm x 2.375 indeed.

It makes 18.83 look coarse scale. Come on chaps take up the challenge of another place of decimals.

That prompted me to look up the maker of the diesel kit and that led me to an incredible Mark 1 coach.

Tempting to do a survey in the garden.

As in the past I find the arty photos a touch annoying.

I would appreciate an explanation as to what the combination of sepia and very flat prints is supposed to achieve in informing me of the merits of the layout. My feelings are probable made worse by the excellent quality and colour balance of the colour shots.

The odd sizes and overlaps also grate put that is probably just my OCD tendencies being challenged.

The Coffee House is still going strong. I visit it quite frequently.

Baseboards and QUAI:87 for a quiet hour later.

The competition might get a look at the weekend, but I will probably do like last time and give it a miss.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, sounds almost as bad as the last one.  Ah well at least some of the other stuff sounds a lot, lot better.

I havent spotted the competition yet.  Anyway I much preferred the crossword

Well, think - 'Oswestry Control, summer Saturday, trains running late on the Cambrian main line, including one failure - 'get out of that one, Sonny!' - (sound familiar?!  ;) )

The usual rule was that if the up Cambrian Coast Express was running late, then everything for the rest of the day would be total chaos. I don't recall any failures then, though - the Aber and Salop shed locos were generally in a pretty good state, though Mach had a few dodgy ones, usually relegated to the coast line.

The other bit that made me laugh was Jerry Clifford's reference to Brian Harrap as "...an original thinker who tends to give convention a cheery wave as he passes it by on the other side of the street."   What better introduction could there be to an excellent article on the ever fascinating Quai:87?

Having met the gent in question, I would readily agree with that sentiment. A clever and very modest gentleman indeed.  

• RMweb Premium

Very nice article on QUAI:87. I am still trying to tie up the fascinating photos with the overhead shot - no complaint about it, I think it is a very good idea.

Has anyone else noticed that in the competition east and west have been confused? Westbound from Machynlleth will usually take you to Aberystwyth. But as I live on the line I shall have a think about it. Mind you, these days a failure near Talerddig would cause even greater chaos because of the lack of passing loops - Welshpool, Newtown, Machynlleth. Just as well there is only a train every two hours each way.

• RMweb Gold

Westbound from Machynlleth will usually take you to Aberystwyth. But as I live on the line I shall have a think about it. Mind you, these days a failure near Talerddig would cause even greater chaos because of the lack of passing loops - Welshpool, Newtown, Machynlleth. Just as well there is only a train every two hours each way.

Don't bank on it remaining 2 hourly for ever...!

You've factored in the existing loop at Talerdigg, presumably?

Very nice article on QUAI:87. I am still trying to tie up the fascinating photos with the overhead shot - no complaint about it, I think it is a very good idea.

Has anyone else noticed that in the competition east and west have been confused? Westbound from Machynlleth will usually take you to Aberystwyth. But as I live on the line I shall have a think about it. Mind you, these days a failure near Talerddig would cause even greater chaos because of the lack of passing loops - Welshpool, Newtown, Machynlleth. Just as well there is only a train every two hours each way.

A few years back, the regular service DMU failed at more or less the same spot as suggested in the competition; it was rescued by the summer steam Cambrian Coast returning to its base.

I gather that there were substantial interface problems, but at some point the failed unit was duly shoved into the loop at Talerddig and the day was duly saved.

Archived