DMU conversions for Sheffield Exchange

Plenty of work there

1 Lima power car

1 Lima unmotored power car with conversion kit OR 2 Lima unmotored power cars

2 Lima centre cars

Plastic card to make new destination box and reshape roof.

Plate over gangway holes

Make the DMS

Make the TS

Or wait for Bachmann if they ever get round to it.

Ha! I’m 65, I doubt I’ll survive until Bachmann produce a 116.

Am I mis-remembering or did soemone (Chris Leigh possibly?) produce a whitemetal cab roof dome for this conversion? I have already got a DMS conversion kit so just need the 2nd centre coach, ebay here I come. I only need a body shell, not the full coach don’t I?

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

Ha! I’m 65, I doubt I’ll survive until Bachmann produce a 116.

Am I mis-remembering or did soemone (Chris Leigh possibly?) produce a whitemetal cab roof dome for this conversion? I have already got a DMS conversion kit so just need the 2nd centre coach, ebay here I come. I only need a body shell, not the full coach don’t I?

Tim T

Yes, I just used a slice and stick together 8 parts AFAIR

Roof domes are not too bad to do

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of work there

1 Lima power car

1 Lima unmotored power car with conversion kit OR 2 Lima unmotored power cars

2 Lima centre cars

Plastic card to make new destination box and reshape roof.

Plate over gangway holes

Make the DMS

Make the TS

Or wait for Bachmann if they ever get round to it.

I have made a new TS for my class 125 to get it to the right length. I followed Brian Kirby's method.

Remove the sides off two 117s TCL. Leaving the end small window and door on the right and the end window on the left. Cut each seating bay along the handle side of the door. File off about 0.25mm from the side at the door opening. Arrange the seating bays as per the coach you are making. I used a strip of plastic card to mount the bays on as I assembled the sides.  This very small amount removed does not show, and the overall result of a coach that is the right length is great.

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

I wondered if I could pick your brains. I've got a Lima class  117,  power and unpowered cars, which I would, in an ideal world like to convert to a Class 114 using the Craftsman conversion kit. Unfortunately I'm really struggling to find the MU9 kit. 

If I can't find the kit, what would you recommend converting the Class 117 to, bearing in mind I'd rather not convert to an already existing RTR as I'd like something different to run and something that would be found in the NER, more specifically East Yorkshire between 1965-1975,

Thanks

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

I wondered if I could pick your brains. I've got a Lima class  117,  power and unpowered cars, which I would, in an ideal world like to convert to a Class 114 using the Craftsman conversion kit. Unfortunately I'm really struggling to find the MU9 kit. 

If I can't find the kit, what would you recommend converting the Class 117 to, bearing in mind I'd rather not convert to an already existing RTR as I'd like something different to run and something that would be found in the NER, more specifically East Yorkshire between 1965-1975,

Thanks

Andy

Without new sides they are only really suitable for conversion to 115 116 117 118 121 122 127, even 117 requires some work.

New sides any long units, if you need sides try contacting Worsely Works and se if he will do them.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Brilliant thread - really enjoyed reading through the latest entries. That 304 is marvelous - I’ve just ordered one from Southern Pride but did consider getting some Replica coaches and having a go at making my own. Never done anything like this (just slight modifications) and always marvel at the confidence you have in hacking about and making up your fronts. Great skill.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Andy.  I have an opportunity to acquire some s/h Lima vehicles: do you have a thread explaining the work to convert the Lima (117??) to an AM4?

John

The 117 is a completely different body profile, it won't look like an AM4, you need to start with Mk1 based stock.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Without new sides they are only really suitable for conversion to 115 116 117 118 121 122 127, even 117 requires some work.

New sides any long units, if you need sides try contacting Worsely Works and se if he will do them.

Thanks very much for the info. I  contacted Allen about the overlays, just got to wait until he gets a sheet completed to send to the etchers,

Cheers

Andy

Hi Clive,

Thanks

Andy

If it eases your mind about not finding the conversion kit. 114s didn't , so far as I'm aware, run in the NEReg, and certainly not in that period. 

The whole fleet was based at Lincoln from 1956, until LN closed in the mid 80s and they migrated to Tyseley for their last few years

• RMweb Gold

That's what I thought too, but according to the Railcar website, they were loaned to Sheffield for local traffic including Sheffield-Hull, and I've managed to find a photo of one at Hull Paragon from 1966.

At least it's more likely to get a 114 than a 117 up north!!

• RMweb Premium

I blame you for this Clive

attachicon.gifDSCF0001.JPG

PS-This is a experiment with a new point and shoot digital camera. A vivitar E120, on lowest picture mode, no alteration required to import directly onto here, and only £19 quid from asda.

Most people blame me for most things. :umbrage:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I blame you for this Clive

attachicon.gifDSCF0001.JPG

PS-This is a experiment with a new point and shoot digital camera. A vivitar E120, on lowest picture mode, no alteration required to import directly onto here, and only £19 quid from asda.

Funny way of showing 2 Feb 2018!

• Tempfix

My latest pair of 116 power car shells are coming along well, will take a mould to make domes for my 119 power cars

Hi MJI - what are you using to do the 119? I've got a pile of Hornby 110 bodies I'm wondering could be used (OK with a lot of fiddling but...)

Sorry for hijacking Clive, but all those 110 bodies from ebay are also technically your fault!

Rich

If it eases your mind about not finding the conversion kit. 114s didn't , so far as I'm aware, run in the NEReg, and certainly not in that period. 

The whole fleet was based at Lincoln from 1956, until LN closed in the mid 80s and they migrated to Tyseley for their last few years

The 114s were certainly in regular use at York and around the southern end of the NE Region. I don’t think they were found regularly north of York on the ECML though.

• RMweb Premium

Hi MJI - what are you using to do the 119? I've got a pile of Hornby 110 bodies I'm wondering could be used (OK with a lot of fiddling but...)

Sorry for hijacking Clive, but all those 110 bodies from ebay are also technically your fault!

Rich

If this turns into a general "how I made my DMU or EMU" thread then let's go for it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Rich

Worsley sides and ends, plastic card to shape inside ends to correct profile, Lima chassis, resin bogie frames based on beefed up Lima. Roof domes, copied from a Lima 116 conversion. Roof currently filing down MJT and it is a nightmare and still may be too wide.

Power will probably be a Lowrider

Still playing hunt the donor (I bought a cab less DMBS years ago for DMS donation for B435, bogies for the wrongly fitted TCL, but can't find it)

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium