Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

What is it about this brotherhood ( No that's not strictly accurate,we have a few sisters too ) that turns virtuous upright citizens all into scheming,devious men adept in the black arts of lying and concealment.......Wot.....me Guv?

Could open up a whole new opportunity for our "pushers" - Stealth Packaging.........

John

And that is excellent news. 1940's is an era that is beginning ....rightfully....to receive attention in terms of R-t-r.Compare this release with the GW Star. Top marks,Hornby for insight into modellers' generational quirks.This era is rich in interest and surprising variety....in which some of us grew up.Many thanks from this war baby.

As a [Korean} war baby I'll have one with the lion on the  tender, please.   :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but I think you're missing the point here. The packaging is not inadequate.It holds the model securely in place.The difficulty arises....and this is not confined to the S15......when it is removed or replaced in the "bubble"and bits and pieces are displaced because the fit is simply too snug.I suspect that if Hornby were questioned on this they would reply that it has to be this way because of transportation from the factory.In fact,I will ask them about this at the Warley Show.

Mission accomplished today with Hornby staff at their stand at the NEC.They will look into it.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

Wartime SR black/sunshine version just announced for next year.

I wondered when this version was coming. It fit's my era but not my locale (not seen down the North Cornwall to Padstow).  Still when it arrives, if there is nothing else encumbering my funds I will probably order one. 

Edited by autocoach

What is it about this brotherhood ( No that's not strictly accurate,we have a few sisters too ) that turns virtuous upright citizens all into scheming,devious men adept in the black arts of lying and concealment.......Wot.....me Guv?

When I worked for the Signal box in the early 90s, we had a Wrenn collector as one of our top customers. One day his wife came in on e quiet wanting to buy her husband a surprise Christmas present. No one had ever seen her before, and she quickly explained that she was looking for present. Naturally the staff went into action showing a range of items.

"Oh," she said as the Bachmann and Hornby were pointed out "he only collects Wrenn".

No problem, my colleague quickly pointed her to the Wrenn collection.

"Oh," she said again "the ones he buys are not that expensive, they normally cost only £20".

My colleague then explained that buying a Wrenn loco for £20 does not exist.

Oo oops.... It would have better if he had said, we had run out of the £20 models....

Anyway the following week she returned to the shop, only this time with Husband and his entire Wrenn collection. The Wrenn collection stayed in the building but we never saw them again. The loss of a great customer....

There onwards, staff had special training "sold out of the cheap ones ma'am". Special tabs foe special customers were opened up.... Just in case. And to top it all, we made extensive research to ensure our bags were as rustle proof as possible.

Saying the price of this years range, I urge all model shops to do the same ;-))

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

Earlier in this topic people have talked about the tender wobbling. S15 Harry A Frith ran on the Swanage Railway. One problem was that when the tender was full of water it was very heavy. One day the S15 nearly stopped in time to couple up to the wine and dine train. Unfortunately the weight of the tender pushed the engine backwards knocking over some of the staff in the kitchen car.

I have been very pleased with my Southern S15. The front bogie sometimes derails on 2nd radius points on a curve on my Corfe Viaduct layout but it runs very well on our larger layout with three foot radius curves and large radius Peco points. I built the Corfe Viaduct layout with help from members of the Purbeck Model Railway Group but the larger layout was professionally built by a carpenter with high quality plywood baseboards imported from Russia.

post-17621-0-77665300-1449410572_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Had 30843 out on the layout again, this time for a little sound edit video...

Saturday 5th December 2015 saw the Somerset & Dorset Railway host a Photo Charter day, featuring Maunsell S15 Class, 30843 hauling a Demonstration Goods Train. 
Here we see 30843 start the long climb up to Blackmoor Mendip with the mixed goods rake, near RAF Staverton. Just one of the many great lineside locations used on the day. 
The event was a huge successes, with some amazing photos of 30843 and the line being taken over the course of the day. The S&DR events team and planning more such events for the near future...
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pP-gTjNsW4

post-20663-0-71183300-1449423853_thumb.gif

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Rails Of Sheffield are having a Holiday week-end sale (who knows what Holiday it might be at this time of year - but whatever it is we don't get it in Canada)..

And they are offering S15s (amongst other bargains) at  £99.00 a pop...

Which minus VAT puts it in my price range...

But in case the good news had not reached the UK I thought I'd post it here

• Like 1

Aaagh! No, Bill: did you have to tell me that? I've already overspent on some Hornby bargains from Hattons as well as a reduced price 'Thumper' from Rails. I'll set my "better" half onto you for trying to tempt me further!!  :triniti:

Edited by SRman

Aaagh! No, Bill: did you have to tell me that? I've already overspent on some Hornby bargains from Hattons as well as a reduced price 'Thumper' from Rails. I'll set my "better" half onto you for trying to tempt me further!!  :triniti:

That’s a good trick if you can do it. Despite them both being members of the English-speaking world, I think it less likely that she’ll set off to swim the Pacific and more likely that she’ll tear your leg off and hit you with the soggy end. S15s are wonderful but is one worth spending the rest of your life hopping?  :D

When were the new versions of the S-15 (R3412 and R3413) released ?

March 16 I think.   My question would be, were they made at the same time as the first lot, and why no SR green variant?

• RMweb Gold

March 16 I think.   My question would be, were they made at the same time as the first lot, and why no SR green variant?

With any similar loco that requires only minor finishing variations, there is a decent chance that a large batch might be run and form the basis of several releases (Exeter and Manston seemed to follow this pattern). In this case, the lack of a corresponding SR green version perhaps indicates otherwise.

If recent observation of exhibition trade stands can be relied on (and I generally find them a useful guide to relative demand), there are plenty of SR S15s for sale and the asking price is significantly lower than for the BR ones. The known preference in the real marketplace towards the BR era vs pre-1948 evidently remains strong and might even be increasing. R.3327 was presumably made in the same numbers as each of the initial BR versions but certainly seems to be "hanging around" longer than either of them.

Hornby will, no doubt, be aware of comparative sales strength / weakness and may have decided to defer a follow-up model in this livery. However, there is a SR black variant in the offing, so maybe the omission of a green "repeat" at this stage was planned from the outset. Many of Hornby's recent releases have followed a pattern of two BR releases for each pre-BR version and this would follow such a sequence.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if it has been covered above (I have tried to search on my phone) but does anyone have an idea how I can correct a bend on the L/H running plate. It appears to be sitting 0.5mm proud pf the motion bracket. Not got it home yet to take off the body (the joys of work trips) but I am hoping this is a fixable issue. The R/H side is fine.

Many thanks,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies if it has been covered above (I have tried to search on my phone) but does anyone have an idea how I can correct a bend on the L/H running plate. It appears to be sitting 0.5mm proud pf the motion bracket. Not got it home yet to take off the body (the joys of work trips) but I am hoping this is a fixable issue. The R/H side is fine.

Many thanks,

Paul

If memory serves there's a lug on the top of the motion bracket that locates into a hole on the underside of the running plate. It's happened to me a few times when I've had the body off various N15's (similar design). Usually loosening off the screws that hold on the body to chassis and wiggling the body would get the lug(s) to locate properly.

On a separate note Fox Transfers now do a complete set of cabside numbers covering the BR variants that Hornby do - Ref No. FRH 4008/30B