Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann ex-SR CCT Vans

Lochinvar

• RMweb Gold

Hi. There was nearly always a PMV attached to the rear of the 20.10 to Hull from Bridlington back in the mid seventies - usually a three or four car DMU. Looking forward to these vans.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

As Bachmann originally announced the SR CCT/PMV in March 2012, in their 2012/13 programme, it is good to see first photos of these - they have had a long gestation. To my mind they look strangely inanimate in dark grey plastic - they are going to look much better once paint and printing is applied.

There was a thread for these, but it is currently at page 7 of the Bachmann area -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58096-39-527-ex-southern-pmv-parcels-miscellaneous-van-br-green/

It has sunk down the listings with time. No real need to link them now, as the earlier thread doesn't add to what we have here.

John

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann continue to confuse Passenger Luggage Vans (PLV)  / Parcels and Miscellaneous Vans (PMV) and Van Utility / Covered Carriage Truck (CCT) designations.

For clarity the PMV and CCT are the BR designations when referring to the ex SR vans 'PLV' and 'Van U'  and are two different vehicles the latter Van U / CCT had the end opening doors.

The Bachmann Blue CCT is in fact based on a CCT vehicle which has been converted to a PMV, this is evident from the sealed end doors with four vents at each end (item No. 39-528). An image of such a vehicle can be found at  This information was supplied to me by Bachmann themselves.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

Bachmann continue to confuse Passenger Luggage Vans (PLV)  / Parcels and Miscellaneous Vans (PMV) and Van Utility / Covered Carriage Truck (CCT) designations.

For clarity the PMV and CCT are the BR designations when referring to the ex SR vans 'PLV' and 'Van U'  and are two different vehicles the latter Van U / CCT had the end opening doors.

The Bachmann Blue CCT is in fact based on a CCT vehicle which has been converted to a PMV, this is evident from the sealed end doors with four vents at each end (item No. 39-528). An image of such a vehicle can be found at . This information was supplied to me by Bachmann themselves.

Thanks for the helpful information. Do you know the numbers of any other ex SR CCT vehicles which were converted to a PMV?

Is the Bachmann model then strictly a BR period CCT vehicle rather than a Southern Van U vehicle? I have Parkside kits and other models going back to K's kits for various Southern vans so these may be incorrect for my pre January 1948 model world.

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

That's easy, run an enthusiasts' Brake Van Tour. I also have a vague memory of seeing photos of trains of several brakevans, with a caption explaining they were being moved from one yard to another to deal with seasonal traffic flows.

I'd amend rule 2 though - It is not possible to have too much NPCCS and the more different designs the better.

Thanks for the helpful information. Do you know the numbers of any other ex SR CCT vehicles which were converted to a PMV?

Several CCTs had the doors sealed when the foot steps were removed. Most appear to have the operating linkage for the locking bolts partially removed and locking plates secured across the doors. However most kept their CCT branding.

Regards

Al Taylor

• 1 month later...

The recent appearance of EP samples created some optimism (here at least)  that we might be seeing these in the flesh before too much longer. But more patience is required it seems. Release in Aug/Sept according to the latest update on the Bachmann site. If I've got this right,that would make it about 30 months since announcement.

DR

The recent appearance of EP samples created some optimism (here at least)  that we might be seeing these in the flesh before too much longer. But more patience is required it seems. Release in Aug/Sept according to the latest update on the Bachmann site. If I've got this right,that would make it about 30 months since announcement.

DR

That's allowed the wallet to relax a little, cheers!

• RMweb Premium

Mucklebackit at post 16 above "Release in Aug/Sept according to the latest update on the Bachmann site. If I've got this right, that would make it about 30 months since announcement."

I think it is much longer than that - Bachmann announced the SR CCT/PMV in March 2012, so in a month's time that is already 3 years/36 months since announcement. Aug/Sept will make it 41 or 42 months (3 and a half years) since announcement.

To my mind it is curious, especially when there is no motor or valve gear to develop.

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Photos of these have now appeared on Bachmann's web pages, in SR green, and BR green, crimson and blue, at:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=6

They are now due in August/ September. The GWR auto coaches are also shown on this page, due at the same time.

John

• RMweb Gold

Photos of these have now appeared on Bachmann's web pages, in SR green, and BR green, crimson and blue, at:

They are now due in August/ September. The GWR auto coaches are also shown on this page, due at the same time.

John

The R.R.P of the autocoaches will ruffle a few feathers on here..... :jester:

• RMweb Premium

They look very good, but I'm not sure about the olivey green of the "BR Green" version, although it's almost better than Bachmann's current very dark interpretation.

• RMweb Gold

They look very good, but I'm not sure about the olivey green of the "BR Green" version, although it's almost better than Bachmann's current very dark interpretation.

The blue one looks a bit on the bright side too, so I'm not placing too much reliance on the photos.

In any case, after a couple of years in service, you could seldom tell what colour they were underneath all the grime!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Really exciting for me. S1101s is almost certainly my first colour photo of rolling stock - so early I don't have an accurate date. I never dreamt it would reproduced as a rtr 50 years later. Feeling old!

Paul

1733 is also from my photos, even down to the incorrect but correct PMV as the end door is sealed.

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Really exciting for me. S1101s is almost certainly my first colour photo of rolling stock - so early I don't have an accurate date. I never dreamt it would reproduced as a rtr 50 years later. Feeling old!

Paul

1733 is also from my photos, even down to the incorrect but correct PMV as the end door is sealed.

Acknowledged by Bachmann Paul?

Mike.