Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Back on the work-bench at Henley on Thames.

The H57 Restaurant carriage has been the focus this morning and to be honest, the corridor connections didn't look as bad as I thought they were going to. At least from normal viewing distance and given other carriages will be both sides, you wont notice the deficiencies! (I hope)

1078267982_H57Corridorconnections.jpg.4a8568875d9bc6a96c7f9657a857db9a.jpg

The H57 Restaurant carriage is certainly starting to look the part, I'm very pleased with progress so far. (The body and bogies are not fixed at this stage.)

1758965012_H57Restaurant8-2-22.jpg.63e1240a3868d000e22e18d91fb05eca.jpg

Have you got one of the Comet coach detailing etches? I think adding the corridor support brackets makes a big difference to the ends.  Very impressive looking coach, really struggling to resist one of my own...  The revised cowl is now sorted, look forward to seeing it on the coach.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Great to hear that there is another GWR project coming from them in the not too distant future.  Having spent my Manor budget on the Bachmann brakedown crane I look forward to seeing what it is...

Evening Rich, yes good to see the video of Pendennis Castle coming out of the shed in full steam.

I couldn’t justify that Bachmann crane… of course, I also struggled with the Accurascale Manor, but when @Accurascale Fran posted the photo of the blackhead (oops!) backhead / cab details on here….. I was hooked. 

Now of course I’m waiting to see the sound videos and then I shall be waiting for May(?) when the loco arrives…. It’s on pre order….

18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Have you got one of the Comet coach detailing etches? I think adding the corridor support brackets makes a big difference to the ends.  Very impressive looking coach, really struggling to resist one of my own...  The revised cowl is now sorted, look forward to seeing it on the coach.  

No!  What’s a detailing etch? I need to get to the postroom to find out why my current comet parcel is delayed at customs…. It’s only been a month, so I’m not panicking yet.

Looking forward to the cowl(s) thank you.

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo!
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Will drop you a pm to sort out the parts later this evening, along with a photo of the cowl fitted to a H27 (hopefully)…

the detailing etch is this https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/c26/

It includes “door hinges, gangway brackets & end door, alarm gear and solebar steps, with templates to help with positioning.”  Annoyingly doesn’t include as much of each as I would like, but the details do make a difference particularly on the outer end of a brake third.   I try to remember to tag one onto a Comet order.  The jig for positioning the door hinges is particularly useful.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Will drop you a pm to sort out the parts later this evening, along with a photo of the cowl fitted to a H27 (hopefully)…

It includes “door hinges, gangway brackets & end door, alarm gear and solebar steps, with templates to help with positioning.”  Annoyingly doesn’t include as much of each as I would like, but the details do make a difference particularly on the outer end of a brake third.   I try to remember to tag one onto a Comet order.  The jig for positioning the door hinges is particularly useful.

Thanks for the tip. Didn’t realise this kit existed. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Thanks Rich

That’s good to see I will look at that

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

I think a quiet day is on order today...

I've just cancelled my order for the Hattons Genesis carriages and in turn placed my pre-order for the Dapol Mainline and City carriages... a set of 6 should be at Henley-on-Thames for the end of the year. Obviously in shirtbutton livery.

I see on Facebook that Accurascale have been to Didcot and will have some news soon of another GWR product.... carriages perhaps... or even a nice Pannier tank without topfeed, appropriate for the 1930's... hopefully we will find out soon from @Accurascale Fran or Stephen @McC...

In the meantime, they are still working on the sound file for the DCC sound version....

1358068448_AccurascaleManoratDID.jpg.4f7d679d8d110e1d281c273f2e81f9d9.jpg

and I have just placed an order for an Accurascale Siphon - I hope the shirt button livery doesn't have W in front of the running number...

729035420_AccurascaleSiphon.jpg.0211db1a8d917c5a0640ad54260ac276.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 11

41 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Morning all,

I think a quiet day is on order today...

I've just cancelled my order for the Hattons Genesis carriages and in turn placed my pre-order for the Dapol Mainline and City carriages... a set of 6 should be at Henley-on-Thames for the end of the year. Obviously in shirtbutton livery.

I see on Facebook that Accurascale have been to Didcot and will have some news soon of another GWR product.... carriages perhaps... or even a nice Pannier tank without topfeed, appropriate for the 1930's... hopefully we will find out soon from @Accurascale Fran or Stephen @McC...

In the meantime, they are still working on the sound file for the DCC sound version....

971773310_AccurascaleManoratDID.jpg.e1149dbeeb03c1375daeb56203705cd2.jpg

and I have just placed an order for an Accurascale Siphon - I hope the shirt button livery doesn't have W in front of the running number...

656378098_AccurascaleSiphon.jpg.80eddcada914b0cded176d58a8a4f7d8.jpg

Neal,

I think the image you have picked there is the "transitional" livery option.

There are two other Siphons available without a W prefix so make sure you pick one of those for 1930s operation.

(I'm just about to order mine )

Pete.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the shirt button example is going to have the W added, (pretty sure that is one of the 2 that I have ordered).  I think this is the only release of the variant with roof vents that is close to GWR livery (I wasnt interested in the bog standard O33 given that I already have an excellent kit built version.

However Accurascale have shown a video (possibly on their deltic thread) showing how easy it is to remove the printed numbers from their models, so getting rid of the W should be pretty easy.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

34 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I think the shirt button example is going to have the W added, (pretty sure that is one of the 2 that I have ordered).  I think this is the only release of the variant with roof vents that is close to GWR livery (I wasnt interested in the bog standard O33 given that I already have an excellent kit built version.

However Accurascale have shown a video (possibly on their deltic thread) showing how easy it is to remove the printed numbers from their models, so getting rid of the W should be pretty easy.

Maybe I have misunderstood what I have read, I believed the O59 in the image was a conversion back to a Siphon after WWII (c. 1945) and I jumped to the conclusion that it was outside the period Neal was modelling.

My thoughts were that only the O33 (without ventilators) was suitable for 1930s?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Star-rider said:

Maybe I have misunderstood what I have read, I believed the O59 in the image was a conversion back to a Siphon after WWII (c. 1945) and I jumped to the conclusion that it was outside the period Neal was modelling.

My thoughts were that only the O33 (without ventilators) was suitable for 1930s?

That is true, i can’t exactly recall all of the build dates without digging out the kits instructions.  I have a feeling most (all?) of the leaver brake fitted examples were late builds (as well as the o59 and m34 being post war)

your best bet would be 2789 which is finished in shirt button GWR with white roof and has Dean churchward brakes (so is definitely one of the early batches)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

That is true, i can’t exactly recall all of the build dates without digging out the kits instructions.  I have a feeling most (all?) of the leaver brake fitted examples were late builds (as well as the o59 and m34 being post war)

your best bet would be 2789 which is finished in shirt button GWR with white roof and has Dean churchward brakes (so is definitely one of the early batches)

Thanks for the confirmation, it's the very one I have just waved my debit card at.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2022 at 10:15, Star-rider said:

Neal,

I think the image you have picked there is the "transitional" livery option.

There are two other Siphons available without a W prefix so make sure you pick one of those for 1930s operation.

(I'm just about to order mine )

Pete.

Thanks Pete

On 09/02/2022 at 10:33, checkrail said:

Tell Fran you can get some cream for that.

I've taken the cream as instructed :D

On 09/02/2022 at 11:31, The Fatadder said:

Thanks Rich.

I have checked my order and I am pleased to say, I have ordered the right one - phew!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The siphon g with the roof vents and W suffix is suitable for post war GWR if the W is removed. 2780 entered service as a O59 in November '46. Info was given by @BenL courtesy of John Lewis.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The siphon g with the roof vents and W suffix is suitable for post war GWR if the W is removed. 2780 entered service as a O59 in November '46. Info was given by @BenL courtesy of John Lewis.

The M34 is also suitable for post war if you strip it down and paint it brown (as I will

be doing), there are a couple of useful 1946/7 photos of o59 and M34 in the Slin siphon book 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

The M34 is also suitable for post war if you strip it down and paint it brown (as I will

be doing)

I’m sure Accurascale will release one in brown in good time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading a newsletter from Modelu, where it states that Alan has signed up a dealer on the edge of Paris, which makes it an ideal shop for those of us living in the EU to avoid import duties. The only downside is that it's all HO scale rather than OO.

People of course were shorter in the 1930's so in fact this might not be a problem. It would be something like 2.5mm on a 5ft driver.... Lamps of course might be more of an issue though. I wonder if they would order some stock in 00?

2037783222_ModeluFrenchstock.jpg.bf3cde971b727f5c2fa9b934a652aa62.jpg

https://www.maketis.com/en/recherche?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=modelu&submit_search=&mc_cid=00eb734778&mc_eid=c74db7100a&p=2

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I've just been reading a newsletter from Modelu, where it states that Alan has signed up a dealer on the edge of Paris, which makes it an ideal shop for those of us living in the EU to avoid import duties. The only downside is that it's all HO scale rather than OO.

People of course were shorter in the 1930's so in fact this might not be a problem. It would be something like 2.5mm on a 5ft driver.... Lamps of course might be more of an issue though. I wonder if they would order some stock in 00?

2000223583_ModeluFrenchstock.jpg.097e166fd5a5b9a45b7b06c60dc11f23.jpg

https://www.maketis.com/en/recherche?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=modelu&submit_search=&mc_cid=00eb734778&mc_eid=c74db7100a&p=2

The dealer may be prepared to supply 4mm as an add on to his usual order with modelu. Certainly worth asking.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I know @Mikkel uses H0 figures in his cabs, and I have once as well, as there is not much room.  As long as they are not next to 00 people you will get away with it.  I think we both have used H0 people as teenagers.  There was, I think, less difference in dress styles between teenagers and adults in the 1930s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I've just been reading a newsletter from Modelu, where it states that Alan has signed up a dealer on the edge of Paris, which makes it an ideal shop for those of us living in the EU to avoid import duties.

Thanks for that info Neal, sounds like a plan. I'm actually quite happy to pay customs and VAT, it's the courier's £20 admin fee for handling the VAT that bugs me.

As Chris says, I think H0 figures work well in 00 cabs. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks for that info Neal, sounds like a plan. I'm actually quite happy to pay customs and VAT, it's the courier's £20 admin fee for handling the VAT that bugs me.

As Chris says, I think H0 figures work well in 00 cabs. 

It might not be a factor for you. But here in Spain we also add in delays of 6 to 8 weeks to get through customs :-(

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Its been a day of mixed fortunes

One of my 61xx and the 64xx were out and about today....

The 64xx is seen bringing its train into Platform 1 at Henley-on-Thames.

574680083_64xxPlatform111-2-22.jpg.ebd916f8aeb34e8f19569598ebb9d214.jpg

It didn't need to be turned, but as it's there....

1977355131_64xxonTurntable11-2-22.jpg.821512a5ebf0e6f68ce75b44b163d4b0.jpg

Which was then followed by the 61xx using the table.

1904147501_61xxonTurntable11-2-22.jpg.7533c7a3c5fccab506ce6b9c25aa3328.jpg

I have started doing some work around the turntable, starting with tidying up the edges to follow the contours of the lovely brick work that was supplied by Phil, aka @Harlequin. I have started on the far side of the turntable with the wall with some very thin plasticard which was then painted. Plus two of the roads have had their brickwork replaced in between the tracks.

Since taking this last photo, I have also dealt with the brickwork adjacent to the entry road which is currently shown as sticking up a bit!

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1