Aldersgate

George Hudson

• RMweb Premium

I have had a look at it and the basic structure is doable in plasticard and plastic strip. How far you want to go with the ornate gusset plates is another matter.

If you let me know the span and the vertical height, for the model, I will attempt to draw the vertical elements, to which you would add the horizontal strips. The blue lines are the dimensions required.

1158497553_Overallroofdims.png.ec8698d37c651cccc2554839cea75902.png

Please note, that this will take a while to do, as and when I get a spare half hour or so,

• Like 1

On 04/11/2022 at 08:38, hayfield said:

George

What is the issue with the canopy you have already built ?

It has no supporting girders beneath the roof.  Structurally, as a ,model it doesn't need them since the dirty glass canopy sits on a perfectly clean perspex canopy which make the whole thing totally rigid for handling.  It needs internal girders of course like the real thing even though they are just for show.

• Thanks 1

On 04/11/2022 at 08:46, Siberian Snooper said:

I have had a look at it and the basic structure is doable in plasticard and plastic strip. How far you want to go with the ornate gusset plates is another matter.

If you let me know the span and the vertical height, for the model, I will attempt to draw the vertical elements, to which you would add the horizontal strips. The blue lines are the dimensions required.

1158497553_Overallroofdims.png.ec8698d37c651cccc2554839cea75902.png

Please note, that this will take a while to do, as and when I get a spare half hour or so,

That's very kind of you to offer to help.  I'll try to have ago myself and if I fail, I'll take yo up on your kind offer.

• Like 1

This is very much quality modelling you have created a slice of Liverpool St  the walkway and the building on it are just like the one I used to walk along and the building over the surburban platforms was a cafe.I will keeep an eye out for your postings   thanks, 

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2022 at 21:34, George Hudson said:

Sorry, that's all a bit of a miss mash of pictures but I think you've got the idea!

The only thing that looks at all odd about those photos is that various uprights seem to be leaning like tower of Pisa, but I don't doubt that is just the optical effect of wide angle photography.  Excellent work, respect !😄

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, simon b said:

That is absolutely stunning work, I take my hat off to you sir.

Not that you need to, but just that scene would make a great micro layout on it's own.

I'm tempted to do a micro layout of a terminus around 1840 now Hornby has produced its pioneer range.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, George Hudson said:

I'm tempted to do a micro layout of a terminus around 1840 now Hornby has produced its pioneer range.

The problem with that is how far are Hornby going to go with the pioneer range? Even if they expand it hugely you will be scratch building 90% of the stock and 98% of the locos. What are the chances of them producing a Polka, a Jenny Lind, a Norris or a Kitson long boilered 0-6-0 or even a Crampton? Fairly close to ZERO I would say. They might do something like Thunderer or Hurricane for novelty and because they were both 1 offs and also quite large but don't hold your breath as the motion is on display right out in the open and getting them to go around any sort of curve will be a nightmare. Still it's not a bad idea if you don't go with anything prototypical and are happy to run whatever you can get or bash into something else. A sort of sketch of the railways in the 1840s. Lots of turntables everywhere could be fun.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

...and of course they won't do Thunderer or Hurricane because they are broad gauge. I can't really see Hornby producing even a circle of 7' balk road. If they went for BG it would be with a star class or a rover and maybe an Armstrong for freight. Sadly though it will never happen. Mind you with 3D printing and if the BG soc. got it's act together with drawings and 3d renders more people might model broad gauge. I know I would.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 3

On 07/01/2023 at 15:42, lezz01 said:

it's not a bad idea if you don't go with anything prototypical and are happy to run whatever you can get or bash into something else. A sort of sketch of the railways in the 1840s. Lots of turntables everywhere could be fun.

That's where I'd be and the operational side would be minimal probably; for me it's a lot about the buildings and layout composition (in the sense of a painting).  Would love to do broad gauge also!

• Like 4

On 06/01/2023 at 21:57, George Hudson said:

After a lot of trial and error I knocked up some roof support from a combination of 2mm card and plastic strip.  To fix these to the walls of the terminus I made some "gutters" again from 2mm card strips the central gap of which would hold the supports.  This would be a friction grip so the whole structure can be dismantled for maintenance and access.  

These parts were all sprayed green then anthracite. and fixed in place.  This will need to be improved with some plastic mouldings (yet to be sourced) to represent cast iron decoration in Victorian style and strips connecting the supports lengthways i.e. parallel to the rails, to represent more supporting ironwork.

As it is I think it represents a good start to finishing off the largest structure on the layout.

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Oozes atmosphere. Superb work,
Regards,
Chris.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...