The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The "bus on bridge" challenge

eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't the 87 run from Barking to Romford any more? (I think it may be 82).

Well, it looked like number 87 on the route blind, and when I had a look at a map of current bus routes along St John's Hill, the number 87 was listed; runs from Wandsworth Plain to Aldwych. Happy to be corrected if my eyesight is failing me! 

Hmm... I'm struggling to think of overbridges near me that are on bus routes! I suppose Tilehurst Road and Bath Road are probably the nearest but I'm not sure either really have a good vantage point to see both rail and road - Tilehurst Rd possibly from Reading West I suppose. 

• RMweb Gold

Hmm... I'm struggling to think of overbridges near me that are on bus routes! I suppose Tilehurst Road and Bath Road are probably the nearest but I'm not sure either really have a good vantage point to see both rail and road - Tilehurst Rd possibly from Reading West I suppose. 

With a telephoto lens ;)

• RMweb Premium

Yup, I was driving the bus on the bridge today. On the Settle to Skipton bus service just north of Hellifield when a Pacer went underneath.

I also saw the southbound log train near Settle Junction, but missed the Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express as I didn't think my passengers would have appreciated waiting an hour for me to get a photo.

As a varient heres two buses under the bridge, admittedly with no train on it. The location is the GC London extension overbridge on Wilford Lane south of the River Trent crossing in Nottingham. The bridge was a long standing problem with an offical 13'6" headroom, although it was measured in 1970 as having a minimum headroom of 13'11" and was quickly demolished after the Loughborough Chord was brought into use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/16169434878/in/photolist-qCQzDY-qBwwNR-qRFL9J-qTYE7B-pXcrin-pQTjXx-q5HLRY-oZKEcR-oyuiD6-ouqf3d-oab3Du-o6xi1m-n24czM-kqWhv6-is2Gsn-husX2E-hhh46s-gRfK37-gNXWiM-gFupoM-gsuLjU-gstJBN-fNHX18-qoQhNe-nU4Sx1-nzfm8Q-nMgqx1-mCXxDQ-k8Mvmp-k8LBPt-k8AkgB-k8zLtn-k8zV5x-k8BVDJ-k81xUc-k81YYZ-k81Ewi-k83c51-j4NA2N-iKSYKn-iKVF8q-hk3hxD-gzMf4Q-gsbKMu-giaZCw-g7iXXz-fNTM6C-fLUKMd-fL1Ds3-fGFotQ-fgg2tf

I confess, I modelled the "bus on the bridge" and I would like one other offence taken into consideration.(There's another one on the other bridge). The crime took place on "Brockley Green SE4".

I don't think some people take into consideration the expense of such an undertaking. The example in view, a Routemaster of course, was given free gratis but I don't just plonk  any vehicle on the layout. This one was opened up and had some 20 passengers and a crew added at about a £1 each.

The blinds were changed to include one that had "Brockley" on it and although Modelmaster came up trumps the only one I could find was 36B.

A couple of years down the road and at an exhibition (no names, no pack drill) a very loud mouthed individual announced to all and sundry, "Ah, 36B service, that's Saturdays only!". My reply was easy, "And to-day is?". I resolved that if that question was to be asked on a Sunday, I would reply, "It's always Saturday on this layout".  

To keep in the mode of this line of enquiry, I would firstly direct your attention to the "badly drawn sunflower" in the bottom right hand corner. When the children notice it, the duty layout operator reaches underneath the layout where there is a handle. Pulling it down makes the "sunflower" raise up about 20 scale feet or so.

Secondly, in the central first floor window of the printer's, on the left of the "RM" can be see a couple. I'll say no more on that subject.

post-276-0-00447700-1422963773.jpg

• Like 7

I confess, I modelled the "bus on the bridge" and I would like one other offence taken into consideration.(There's another one on the other bridge). The crime took place on "Brockley Green SE4".

I don't think some people take into consideration the expense of such an undertaking. The example in view, a Routemaster of course, was given free gratis but I don't just plonk  any vehicle on the layout. This one was opened up and had some 20 passengers and a crew added at about a £1 each.

The blinds were changed to include one that had "Brockley" on it and although Modelmaster came up trumps the only one I could find was 36B.

A couple of years down the road and at an exhibition (no names, no pack drill) a very loud mouthed individual announced to all and sundry, "Ah, 36B service, that's Saturdays only!". My reply was easy, "And to-day is?". I resolved that if that question was to be asked on a Sunday, I would reply, "It's always Saturday on this layout".  

To keep in the mode of this line of enquiry, I would firstly direct your attention to the "badly drawn sunflower" in the bottom right hand corner. When the children notice it, the duty layout operator reaches underneath the layout where there is a handle. Pulling it down makes the "sunflower" raise up about 20 scale feet or so.

Secondly, in the central first floor window of the printer's, on the left of the "RM" can be see a couple. I'll say no more on that subject.

attachicon.gif36B.JPG

May I ask if the BR Scammell is not the same scale as the rest, just thought they were a much smaller vehicle.  Brillant modeling though. Hope don't mind me asking?

With a telephoto lens ;)

Realised this evening that Tilehurst Road bridge is of course visible from Bath Road bridge - saw a bus going over the top of an HST when on my way to the club this evening but as it was too dark to take a picture and I didn't have my camera anyway, you'll have to take my word for it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, grahame said:

Although a repeat post from another thread, this should qualify but am I too late and has the voting/judging taken place?

P1090581cr2.jpg.212cf22ef8d18420629c1fc593e41c69.jpg

G

Probably quite difficult to take a photo there without one or more buses on the bridge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Probably quite difficult to take a photo there without one or more buses on the bridge. 

Without a bus is easy . . . .

P1090567cr.jpg.cd49780a8c97164bff3e47e7b6f5747c.jpg

G

• Like 2