Longest times for shortest journeys

Sweeps

Had to visit Settle before Christmas during the course of my work and the idle thought came to me of how easy would it be to get there by rail from my nearest station which is Preston. On checking I could leave on the 9.40 change at Bradford for Bradford Foster Square for a train to Skipton then change at Skipton for settle arriving at 14.48 that's over 5 hours to do a journey which for me by road is 51 miles. So the the thought occurred to me what other journeys can people suggest which would take the longest time to travel the shortest distance and can we find one that beats all others?

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that there are quite a few stations within walking distance of each other but on different rail 'routes'.

To stop 'silly routes' perhaps you should only accept routes suggested by the National Rail Journey planner.

Aberystwyth - Camarthen is just under six hours for a journey that once had a direct link.

Cricceth to Bangor is just over six hours by National Rail via Shrewsbury, though a shorter journey is possible going by Blaenau Ffestiniog

• RMweb Gold

Going back a few years Norwich Thorpe to Norwich city was a seventy odd mile journey for a distance of a mile as the journey involved going via Sheringham, this was reduced somewhat when a curve was built at Themelthorpe but this was still a journey of thirty odd miles though freight only by this time

The late Rev. Teddy Boston often quoted during his slide shows, that in the BR timetable, Peterborough North to Peterborough East was the slowest journey to be found. I don't have a timetable or mileage chart to hand, but no doubt somebody here will be able to quote it?

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Sheffield to Glossop is up to 1hr 55 for a twenty five mile journey.

From this side of Sheffield, I could drive to Glossop probably as fast as the bus would get me to Sheffield station!

Dinting to Sheffield Midland is now about 1hr 52m, whereas it could be done to Victoria in less than 40 minutes with two stops via Woodhead. Even as far back as 1954 it was possible to do passing Dinting to Sheffield Victoria in about 40 minutes behind a B1. 

• RMweb Gold

Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Pen mill takes some beating. National rail enquiries suggests you walk, and won't give you a fare! 

London Waterloo to London Waterloo East generates the same 'walk' result from National Rail enquiries although, bizarrely, if you misuse the planner, it also wants to charge £12 for the privilege of walking the 50 metres between the two !

Forcing the site to give a journey via Clapham High Street produces a journey time of 1 hour 24 minutes and 3 changes of train to travel the 50 metres.

• RMweb Premium

Had to visit Settle before Christmas during the course of my work and the idle thought came to me of how easy would it be to get there by rail from my nearest station which is Preston. On checking I could leave on the 9.40 change at Bradford for Bradford Foster Square for a train to Skipton then change at Skipton for settle arriving at 14.48 that's over 5 hours to do a journey which for me by road is 51 miles. So the the thought occurred to me what other journeys can people suggest which would take the longest time to travel the shortest distance and can we find one that beats all others?

Unless you do the journey on a Sunday - Preston-Hellifield-Settle in 91 minutes. On summer Sundays, there's a direct service.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Denton to Reddish South, Approx 1.9 miles on the same line, depart 0932 on Friday and arrive at 0927 the following Friday.

Train -167 hours 55 minutes. (edit - 167 hours 12 minutes wait for a connection at Stockport)

Car - 8 minutes, Cycle - 13 minutes, Bus - 38 minutes, Walk - 47 minutes. (Times from Google Earth)

Denton to Reddish South, Approx 1.9 miles on the same line, depart 0932 on Friday and arrive at 0927 the following Friday.

Train -167 hours 55 minutes. (edit - 167 hours 12 minutes wait for a connection at Stockport)

Car - 8 minutes, Cycle - 13 minutes, Bus - 38 minutes, Walk - 47 minutes. (Times from Google Earth)

Just wondering if they are obliged to 'accommodate' you at the station, is it open 24hrs or would they insist you leave and come back?

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering if they are obliged to 'accommodate' you at the station, is it open 24hrs or would they insist you leave and come back?

I don't think Northern would sell you a ticket for the through journey as they only issue day singles in that area.

Barming to East Farleigh is a two-mile, half-hour walk (or five minute drive), but 1hr 52m by train, changing at Ashford and Paddock Wood, although anyone with any sense would walk between Maidstone East & Maidstone Barracks, which is another candidate!

Glasgow Central to Queen Street?

You could cheat and walk some of the distance & catch the subway. But other than that, its a long way around.

Not really. You could do this by train in, timings allowing,around 15 minutes (Central Low Level/Queen St Low Level via Partick, or to avoid having to change platforms, Hyndland)..

• RMweb Premium

Not really. You could do this by train in, timings allowing,around 15 minutes (Central Low Level/Queen St Low Level via Partick, or to avoid having to change platforms, Hyndland)..

Yeah, I forget about the re-instated Low Level. After my time. :senile:

Archived