Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what you've been expecting, but you may well be disappointed!

I've spent the last week building a goods shed. It is far from complete, missing the interior loading platforms, doors, window panes, some brickwork and most of the roof!

The roof, as done, has been a disappointment. I painted 20thou plastikard, ruled on lines to represent 1' x 1' (4mm x 4mm) tiles, cut the required number of strips (35 rows from top to bottom), stuck them on to give the staggered look, overlapping each layer. Looks great from a top view, but from normal viewing level all you see are the unpainted end of the 20thou. I could go along the ends with a pencil or re-do the lot using card. We'll see.

The blockwork may look a bit large. Available plastikard stonework at 4mm scale is either too small (as in the platform), crazy paved (random stone) or a similar scale and the wrong pattern. So I cut the bricks from a new set of DAS strips and fixed them on. About 4000 of them. I've included a couple of reference pics - these are copyrighted, so if anyone objects then I'll remove them. Typical blockwork on the building is 1' x 2' to 2' x 2', with the smallest blocks at 6" x 6". I've tried to incorporate a mix of all shapes and sizes.

Anyway, you probably haven't read a word I've written and skipped straight to the pics. Aside from the roof, I'm very happy with the result and will continue with the remaining bits when I get back from Stafford. If anyone is interested, I can do a series of posts showing the construction of the structure.

post-13778-0-54733200-1499361494_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-90698400-1499361505.jpg

post-13778-0-80508400-1499361515.jpg

post-13778-0-18377300-1499361573_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-93661900-1499361638_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-41414200-1499361704_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-45557100-1499361767_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96208100-1499361822_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-68557800-1499361873_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-25123600-1499361930_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-75113900-1499361981_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

Hi Jeff

As soon as I saw the first pic i said "WOW, THAT'S FANTASTIC" out loud!

Enough said.

It's frightening to think it's 30 years ago that I used to drive a wagon into that very same building for it's service.

Keep up the excellent work and enjoy Stafford, I'm working, otherwise I would have been there myself.

Chip

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, what great, painstaking modelling. Can I be super critical though? The long vertical mortar line here

post-16241-0-40837900-1499367135_thumb.jpg

detracts from your excellent work. Have a look at the corresponding photo of the real thing and you will see how the blocks are arranged between the quoins to avoid such a line as you have.

post-16241-0-21848200-1499367558.jpg

For the slates, why not shell out a bit of cash and go for self-adhesive ones from the likes of this

http://www.cd3dmodelmaking.co.uk/roofing-details

No connection just a satisfied customer.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, what great, painstaking modelling. Can I be super critical though? The long vertical mortar line here

attachicon.gifJeffs Shed Paint.jpg

detracts from your excellent work. Have a look at the corresponding photo of the real thing and you will see how the blocks are arranged between the quoins to avoid such a line as you have.

attachicon.gifShed at KS.jpg

For the slates, why not shell out a bit of cash and go for self-adhesive ones from the likes of this

http://www.cd3dmodelmaking.co.uk/roofing-details

No connection just a satisfied customer.

Evening Jonathan.

Well spotted, that man! I must admit that I hadn't noticed the long mortar line. Thanks for pointing this out - it's an easy fix and I'll have a look at it at the start of next week.

I could just paint the strips that I've laid on the existing roof section. But I must admit - bearing in mind that I've got a lot more roof to cover - that the tile packs you've linked to are very appealing. It'd cost me about £30 to tile the lot, so I think I'll go down that route.

Now, a very relevant question - and I know there's a place in York that does them - where do I get my "fancy Midland" windows made, and how do I go about specifying the pattern? I'm assuming several of you - Mike? - will know the answer.

Thanks, as usual, for your comments.

Jeff

EDIT: I've just checked the "other end" of the building. In the main (more than 90%) of the blocks are interlocked with the quoins. I must have had a mental aberration when I did this corner!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

As soon as I saw the first pic i said "WOW, THAT'S FANTASTIC" out loud!

Enough said.

It's frightening to think it's 30 years ago that I used to drive a wagon into that very same building for it's service.

Keep up the excellent work and enjoy Stafford, I'm working, otherwise I would have been there myself.

Chip

Chip, thanks for the very positive response. I really DON'T like plastikard stonework, if I can avoid it. There was a viable product for the viaduct and bridges, but the shed just HAD to be done in blockwork.

I appreciate that, as someone who used to work there, you think it "passes muster".

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi again Jeff. You're thinking of

https://www.yorkmodelrail.com/00-scale/windows-templates-and-headers-1

But these do etched brass ones for Scalescenes kits and their good shed is based on a Midland design.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/etched_windows_prices_specs_4mm.htm

• RMweb Premium

Hi again Jeff. You're thinking of

https://www.yorkmodelrail.com/00-scale/windows-templates-and-headers-1

But these do etched brass ones for Scalescenes kits and their good shed is based on a Midland design.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/etched_windows_prices_specs_4mm.htm

Thanks for that. So, if you'll pardon my ignorance, given that I have already pre-set the window size and shape, can I specify this exact shape, or can I only buy a standard, "off the shelf", window to "fit" into my gap?

I'm being lazy - I should have read the detail of your links before asking, but you probably know the answer straight away!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff

I've found Jacub at LCut creative very good at doing bespoke sizes, although my requirements have been relatively plain.

He did however produce a set of doors and windows for Helstonish, from drawings, so could be worth a try.

After all he, or you, can easily say no if it doesn't suit.

I also have to say the goods shed is looking good. What I can't get over is how the DAS makes a building of more substance. Even if

I haven't progressed beyond carving my stonework.

Also enjoy your day at Gnosal, wish I was free to make the trip up.

TONY

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some windows for S&C structures here too. Fixed size.

http://www.mousa.biz/_downloads/WinCat.pdf

If you print out the page with the S&C windows it prints actual size. Is your model based on measurements of the real thing/a plan?

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant job Jeff, and definitely worth waiting for.

As Tony says above, the use of DAS blocks gives the building an immediate feel of substance which you just don't get with plasticard.

Are you going to attempt to replicate the decorative stonework under the edge of the roof on the gable ends? I notice you've added a heavier row of stones above the door arch which I don't see on the prototype.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant job Jeff, and definitely worth waiting for.

As Tony says above, the use of DAS blocks gives the building an immediate feel of substance which you just don't get with plasticard.

Are you going to attempt to replicate the decorative stonework under the edge of the roof on the gable ends? I notice you've added a heavier row of stones above the door arch which I don't see on the prototype.

Al.

Evening Al.

The decorative stonework is actually a circle of stones surrounding some kind of extractor vent.

I've tried to build the circle using tiny DAS bricks - it has a diameter of about 5' - but the blocks don't form a nice circle at that scale. So it'll have to be plastikard I'm afraid.

The heavier blocks were a continuation from along the sides. I didn't follow the actual plan in places - there's a fair bit of "freelancing".

And yes, I think the DAS blocks have character. They come out of the "mould" with all sorts of different fascias and look the part.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My plans for that part were a bit of a "cheat"; I thought I'd just cut some plastikard sheet to the correct shape, paint it in a variant of grey (so it appeared stone-like) and glue it onto the gable end. I can't avoid having something up there as it provides a nice link between the wall and roof.

Going back to DAS blocks, whilst they do look nice, they look better to the eye as a "whole package". Zoomed-in close-ups on screen show up every higgledy-piggledy position of the bricks, when they look half-decent from 2 feet away to the eye.

Other than the mortar line, pointed out by Jonathan, there's another small area that's annoying me, which may well be gouged out and re-done next week.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Nice bit of work Jeff. Regarding the long vertical joint I hope you don't build your garden walls like that  :nono: . Actually I find having built brick and stone walls including an extension in stone with brick quoins helps a lot in modelling I just think how would I do this for real.

It is amazing to see how much your skills have improved.

Don

Hi Jeff

With regard to the windows, this is a picture of the Bill Bedford etched brass versions (as mentioned by Rowsley17D) in my own MR goods shed I scratch-built a few years ago, based on drawings from Lazonby.  Kirkby Stephen goods shed is the longer 5-wagon variant (as you've modelled), and had different windows to the others on the Settle Carlisle so these etches may not be suitable.

Anyway, I've been following your post, and I think your modelling is superb.  It really does convey a sense of place and atmosphere.

Best wishes

Edmund

161114_43.jpg

Edited by Edmund Kinder
  • Like 1

HI Jeff,

More fantastic work there, the phrase 'patience of a saint' quickly comes to mind. Although stonework looks commendable I feel its a bit large (runs for cover) looking at the prototype I'm sure the Wills 'Dressed Stone' sheets are a very good match, but naturally rule 1 applies mate. I was hoping to visit Stafford but sadly I can't drive at present but if you feel like a detour to visit Dent on the way north then just let me know.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the offer Mike. I'm driving to Bingley to meet Jason and we'll then be travelling via Leeds in Chris's estate car along with the Mill. So I think Sunday will just be a direct return.

Stone sizes. The quoins are 1' tall and the base rows of blocks (top and bottom) are 2' long, as per the prototype. The window and door lintels are almost the correct size. I've freelanced some of the blocks. Many are the same as the real thing, though I admit that - in order to save having to add a few hundred extra stones, I put more larger ones in than the prototype.

I'm not overly happy about that and as I mentioned earlier, some bits will be redone. But I avoided plastikard as the sheds I'd seen using it had unrealistic stone patterns and - in some cases - more correct thickness, but longer (up to 3') stones. Edmund's version above, whilst missing quoins etc, is the best I've seen.

I do have a solution to this, using DAS. The only problem is that it increases the bricklaying time from about 30 hours to about 50. I am considering making a second shed, now I've had a "dry run". It's fun, the only hard bit (on my hands!!) is the cutting-out of the doors and windows from the 4mm birch ply using a Stanley knife.

I like a challenge and I really do - as you've seen - like building with DAS. And yes, a bit of insanity helps.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Stunning work as ever. Your skills with DAS never cease to amaze. As for York Modelmaking. They did quite a bit of work for me on my O gauge shed building, and they really are nice people to work with. I would measure your window openings and give them a call.

Having used their laser cut windows on the shed they are very good. No connection other than a satisfied customer!!

Rich

Okay, it took me a few days of thinking how to put this, so here goes: I'm going to go out on a bit of limb here and not be effusive with praise about the goods shed... just yet.

But, and this is very important,  I know this is "a work in progress" - and I know from my own structure works how much the look of a model changes as it nears completion.

The blockwork is great - it's a good solution to the limits of plasticard.

I agree with Jonathan about the blockwork at the end - but also am confident you'll address it.

But I think for me the biggest immediate concern are the gaps between the blocks; because you're using actual miniature blocks, you have real gaps.

Perhaps you need to make up a very thin DAS (or even PoP) slurry, and flow it across the surface, so it fills the gaps (the immediately use a wet sponge to wipe the excess off the blocks). That will fill the gaps, and make them less prominent - which they aren't in the reference photos.

(if you aren't confident of that technique, make up a small test section to practice on)

A lot depends on how closely you are going to look at the structure, how "deep" in your scene it is, and of course your own tolerance.  You've set a very high bar so far, and as everyone commenting on the signals has suggested, you now have a standard of quality that is a benchmark.  Anything significantly less realistic, and it will annoy you down the track.

I'm sure by the time you are ready to plant it on the layout, it will be your usual high standard, Jeff!

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott.

The comments are spot-on. I'm at Jason's at the mo and we discussed the exact same thing over a couple of pints last night.

I'm going to have a go with some DAS mortar next week.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff Good to  see you today and have a catch up, that Goods Shed looks superb in the flesh and inside is a work of art and finescale woodwork.

Thanks for sharing your coffee with me this morning, very refreshing, NOT. hahahha :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: