LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

Hi Mick,

The silver Jubilee is coming along and looking good. One thing is the wheels on the Silver Jubilee were painted the silver/aluminium grey and the wheel rims were painted white according to drawings and information I have. I must admit I painted the wheels after I fitted them in the bogies. But with a fine sable brush I was able to paint them without getting paint on any of the axles, etc. Off course you can make it like you want it, but it will improve the look that much more.

great job on them, look forward to the triplet set. Obviously you are making the seven car set and not the post 1938 8 car set. I have done the same.

Mark in Oz

In the few pictures I have found of the Jubilee they all appear to be Charcoal Grey as are the valances etc. The best close up one I have is in the Harris Gresley book which is the same shade of "grey" in the picture. I agree re the white wheel rims I missed that and will update them :rolleyes: . Yes I am building the Seven car set my little layout will struggle with that length of train !!

thanks

Mick

Hi Mick,

Wheels are definitely Silver Grey according to attached drawing. Grey in black and white photos always appears darker.

This drawing from Nigel Digby of BRM, he also has a website where I downloaded this from clearly show wheels silver grey.

his website is: www.myweb.tiscali.co.uk/redhouseguitar

after a few minutes of searching for Magazine.

I have found the BRM article by Nigel in December 2008 issue, and he has the wheels as charcoal grey as on the front of the A4 and this is written in the text.

Another website, www.locos-in-profile.co.uk

So there is some doubt over what colour they are, even by Nigel. More research.

Mark

post-7319-127815081208_thumb.jpg

Must say I am impressed with the Silver Jubilee train of coaches. Also the Hornby 'Great Northern' adaption. I always liked these A3's with the round dome, so did Hornby ever produce this variant in BR green? The trouble for me converting a 'GN' is I'd have to lower the cab and respray over the LNER green livery to BR - which is such a shame.

Must say I am impressed with the Silver Jubilee train of coaches. Also the Hornby 'Great Northern' adaption. I always liked these A3's with the round dome, so did Hornby ever produce this variant in BR green? The trouble for me converting a 'GN' is I'd have to lower the cab and respray over the LNER green livery to BR - which is such a shame.

Great to see you back on your feet Coach.

Is this any use: Hornby Ladas

Hi Mick,

Wheels are definitely Silver Grey according to attached drawing. Grey in black and white photos always appears darker.

This drawing from Nigel Digby of BRM, he also has a website where I downloaded this from clearly show wheels silver grey.

his website is: www.myweb.tiscali.co.uk/redhouseguitar

after a few minutes of searching for Magazine.

I have found the BRM article by Nigel in December 2008 issue, and he has the wheels as charcoal grey as on the front of the A4 and this is written in the text.

Another website, www.locos-in-profile.co.uk

So there is some doubt over what colour they are, even by Nigel. More research.

Mark

post-7319-127815081208_thumb.jpg

Hi

Cant get the Nigel Digby link to work??

If you have the Harris Gresley Book as already mentioned earlier no way are the wheels the Paler Grey colour .The shade is ID to the Valances even allowing for shade etc.

There is no logic in painting them that colour either as the paint scheme does not "flow" between loco and coaches with such a variation (in my opinion) , the best man of here appears to be 2512 who gives some excellent advice re all things LNER. perhaps he knows ??

Re the drawing I have seen them before , where most of the detail appears to be correct I do not agree with the Coach ID Letters he has them Silver they were Blue as per the Fox Transfers, which I have used on my models.(plus his wheel colour :blink:)

While I am here still not got any further with details of the Jubilee Kitchen Coach roof vents/fans even a rough drawing would be nice.

Coachman etc

Glad you like the Great Northern variations, I love them, all are cheapish ebay pick ups and cracking locos to boot in all departments.

Bashing a Wills Two Road Engine Shed at mo.:D

Mick

• 4 weeks later...

Current rebuild of a LNER D20 a very old and basic DJH kit. Anything in brass I have added as detail , the main loco body is now nearly done. I have yet to contruct a cab area .

I have Dave Bradwell , Dave Alexander and 52F parts to assist in this job.

After this it will have a new tender as the DJH is very poor in comparison withe Dave Alexander version I have bought. This will also have a 52F chassis to give it the distinctive brake gear. The old DJH version I will use to give some tender variety for a old similar level of detail Nu Cast J21 I have already built. many years ago!.

Progress so far , I am happy with chassis and bogie to stay as originally built. The detail is as good as I can get with supplied kit components.

post-7186-128058972894_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128058975674_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128058977787_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

It's looking good Mick. I've long considered the D20 to be one of the most attractive 4-4-0s ever built in this country. What did you use for the lamp irons? They look very good.

Dave.

It's looking good Mick. I've long considered the D20 to be one of the most attractive 4-4-0s ever built in this country. What did you use for the lamp irons? They look very good.

Dave.

52F Models do them as an accessory as are the Loco steps from another one of their etches The rear are J21 and id to the D20 the fronts are cut down Q6 steps. Very good service too

cheers

Mick

Great stuff as ever Mick. Will you be able to do a fleet review for us one of these days? What is exactly tucked away in the dark corners of the shed?

I havent got anything hidden as far as I can remember everything is on here or on the old RM Web (same title) :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

D20 with light coat of primer

post-7186-128168603764_thumb.jpg

post-7186-12816860515_thumb.jpg

Replacement Alexander 3940 tender with added detail including 52F lamp irons , I am awaiting a further brake standard as this is the water pick up version.

I have also built a 52F models compensated chassis for it. A bit fiddly and the instructions could have been clearer but got there in the end !!

post-7186-128168622545_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128168624022_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128168625118_thumb.jpg

More 52F their lamp irons fitted and new handrails to a Ebay bought Bachmann J72 which also been relettered and numbered using HMRS Pressfix , as originals where wrong colour and damaged

post-7186-128168641954_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128168643386_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128168644711_thumb.jpg

Lastly I have started on upgrading these with the Bradwell etch handrails removed so far. You get one wagon underframe which can be made as the correct LNER Version. Enough for another three but it doesnt include the prominent brake handles which is a shame.

post-7186-128168661915_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

D20 nothing fixed down. I have now fixed the roof down and added a last coat of paint prior to lining and numbers/letters

post-7186-128231596939_thumb.jpg

Cab detail done. I have made use of Dave Bradwell castings, various pieces of fuse wire etc. I managed to find a couple of pictures to assist in the detailing.

post-7186-128231600844_thumb.jpg

Dave Bradwell LNER 21Ton Hopper etch done awaits buffers and some Archer rivets either side of the axleboxes. Very fiddly :blink: I am glad I use NER wooden hoppers on my layout and only have a few Steel hoppers:D

post-7186-128231618734_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128231622593_thumb.jpg

post-7186-128231623685_thumb.jpg

A couple of original Hopper Wagons either side of the Bradwell chassis, with the add on etches supplied added to the original chassis.

post-7186-128231624949_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mick,

Superb cab detail. You could be up for work at Hornby or Bachmann yet!

Regarding the kitchen roof detail, I came across a photo somewhere on the web with the Silver jubilee kitchen car detail in model form clearly visible, but do you think I can find it now. It looked correct, lining up with drawings, etc. When I find it I will let you know.

Have just returned from an Exhibition in Melbourne Australia, 2 &15hour drive, only 2 English layouts which were no longer than 10 feet. One N gauge and the other end to end DCC. All the rest were Australian, American and European and a couple of Japanese N gauge.

My friend just picked up 2 boxes of '0' gauge track for a future layout.

We in Australia are having elections today. It will be very close.

Mark

Hi Mick,

Superb cab detail. You could be up for work at Hornby or Bachmann yet!

Regarding the kitchen roof detail, I came across a photo somewhere on the web with the Silver jubilee kitchen car detail in model form clearly visible, but do you think I can find it now. It looked correct, lining up with drawings, etc. When I find it I will let you know.

Mark

Thanks re roof and cab detail comment. Hopefully you can find the picture. I hope to make a start on the triplet in a month or so

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

That's beautiful Mick. What a wonderful job you've done all round, but especially in the cab department!

Bradwell cab components, you say?

Dave.

That's beautiful Mick. What a wonderful job you've done all round, but especially in the cab department!

Bradwell cab components, you say?

Dave.

Yes Bradwell and a few modified bits including what started out as a GWR :blink: Screw reverser

Hoppers finished. I have never found a photo of the Steel hoppers in LNER service other then ex works pictures. As they would have been a maximum of 11 years old before BR I have only added light weathering to them.

post-7186-006417600 1283867546_thumb.jpg

Dave Bradwell new underframe version

post-7186-085487200 1283867414_thumb.jpg

Others which the Bradwell etch provide some minor details.

post-7186-090520900 1283867442_thumb.jpg

post-7186-089612000 1283867515_thumb.jpg

post-7186-022352200 1283867534_thumb.jpg

• Like 2