Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Speaking of which, it's now time to go out and get my democracy sausage and buy some cakes for afternoon tea. Oh, and I suppose I'd better vote too while I'm at it...

After a lifetime of UK politics I am enjoying the Australian elections. I love the  way you get the results so quick here, whereas in the UK we have to sit up all night awaiting results.

Seeing your 42xx making me a little homesick for my layout back in Yorkshire.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

After a lifetime of UK politics I am enjoying the Australian elections. I love the  way you get the results so quick here, whereas in the UK we have to sit up all night awaiting results.

Seeing your 42xx making me a little homesick for my layout back in Yorkshire.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike. Wait until you start looking at the subtle differences between different State/Territory and Federal election rules; voting above or below the line; exhausting or not exhausting preferences; etc., etc. Sometimes I get a little nostalgic for the old-fashioned idea of putting one X in one box...

Yes, 4247 has turned out nicely. Perhaps @Barry O will bring his white weathering ink with him next time he comes.

PS the democracy cakes were good - a dozen little Mars Bar slices for a dollar apiece. Very popular with the operating team.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Barry O said:

Yes, I can being it or buy some there. A bitnof weathering powder, a soft make up brush and.. job can be done..

Baz

I have some but it's a bit old. I'll check whether it's still liquid.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As I mentioned yesterday, Charles brought over a sheet of HMRS GWR insignia but unfortunately, on closer inspection, the power group letters run only from A to D (why?).

What to do? Cut a sliver off a B and use that of course - which I did and, considering you can barely see the thing, I don't think it looks too bad.

In the end, I decided to use a Modelmasters 83E transfer for the shedplate, which I've also applied. Once this has hardened off, I'll dab on some Micro Set and/or Micro Sol to help it stay stuck.

The motion brackets are ready to refit as well - Zap-A-Gap will do the trick I think - but that's for another day.

Photos once it's all done.

Memo to self - order a suite of shedplates and route/power discs from Steve at @railtec-models for future use.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Mike. Wait until you start looking at the subtle differences between different State/Territory and Federal election rules; voting above or below the line; exhausting or not exhausting preferences; etc., etc. Sometimes I get a little nostalgic for the old-fashioned idea of putting one X in one box...

You’ve been away from Bonnie Scotland for too long.  Here in the U.K. we have different ‘state’ (devolved Parliament) and ‘federal’ (U.K. Gov) rules!

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

You’ve been away from Bonnie Scotland for too long.  Here in the U.K. we have different ‘state’ (devolved Parliament) and ‘federal’ (U.K. Gov) rules!

Paul.

Only if you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

For the majority of the residents in the UK, we don’t have a devolved Parliament, just the goons that operate at a “federal” level.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

True enough. I left North Britain long before devolution!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I won two coach kits on eBay last night - both Toplight brake thirds, one by Slaters and the other by Blacksmith and both at not-too-silly prices. In due course they'll probably replace a couple of BSL/Phoenix versions.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I won two coach kits on eBay last night - both Toplight brake thirds, one by Slaters and the other by Blacksmith and both at not-too-silly prices. In due course they'll probably replace a couple of BSL/Phoenix versions.

I was looking at the Blacksmith Toplight when it was about £30, I wasn't bidding on it but I always like to see what's what.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I was looking at the Blacksmith Toplight when it was about £30, I wasn't bidding on it but I always like to see what's what.

Tim, a big factor for me was that the seller is in Australia so I didn't have to consider the ridiculous GSP costs.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Or run them all. First rule of GWR trains - no two coaches alike in a train.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Or run them all. First rule of GWR trains - no two coaches alike in a train.

Mike Wiltshire

That's true, Mike. However, I already have more kits than I really need and many of them are BSL/Phoenix/Westdale flush-sided pressings. I reckon that the Slaters will definitely be quicker easier to build to a good standard, while the Blacksmith might not be quicker but I think the end result will be nicer.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I will be soon but have been away with some mutual friends. Veronica has some photos. Yet again the Leeds Mob drank a hotel out of a particular wine!!

Bsz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I will be soon but have been away with some mutual friends. Veronica has some photos. Yet again the Leeds Mob drank a hotel out of a particular wine!!

Bsz

Yes we saw those. Glad to see that the Leeds Uni Eating & Drinking Society is maintaining its usual standards. A bit of a shock to realise that the Young Master has become the Old Master...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Glad to see that the Leeds Uni Eating & Drinking Society is maintaining its usual standards. 

Brings back some old memories.  I had the privilege of working with Chris Nash (Now Professor Nash) from the Leeds University Institute for Transport Studies back in the early eighties.  It was here in Australia.  I've never been to Leeds. 

I was a bit surprised that IfTS is in the Environment Faculty, whereas here transport is typically treated as an engineering discipline. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, KymN said:

Brings back some old memories.  I had the privilege of working with Chris Nash (Now Professor Nash) from the Leeds University Institute for Transport Studies back in the early eighties.  It was here in Australia.  I've never been to Leeds. 

I was a bit surprised that IfTS is in the Environment Faculty, whereas here transport is typically treated as an engineering discipline. 

Interesting, isn't it. The only thing that I can think of is that in this context Transport Studies refers to working out why people/things need to move from place to place, whereas we engineers come in later to work out how to move them. A bit empirical, though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2