Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Tonight I had a spare hour so, while I was in the mood, I restored the images to another 20 pages of the topic. I'm back to page 231 now and I think there are about another 40 pages to go before I've restored everything that was sunk without trace earlier this year.

If anyone else who posted images on pages 192 to 255 inclusive would like to restore them then please feel free!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Round of applause 3

And belated best wishes from me. I've just started to contemplate the idea of a couple of 'tea trays' over my hidden storage loops to facilitate changing locos as one way to reduce the number sitting in the loco yard (excessive congestion so it looks like its always a Sunday) and also to extend the operating sequence.

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

And belated best wishes from me. I've just started to contemplate the idea of a couple of 'tea trays' over my hidden storage loops to facilitate changing locos as one way to reduce the number sitting in the loco yard (excessive congestion so it looks like its always a Sunday) and also to extend the operating sequence.

Good idea. It will cut down the amount of scenery you need too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

The one on Chapel en le Frith slides up and down. Handy if you can't reach a vehicle which is in distress.

Baz

In theory, mine are capable of that but I won't be doing it except in dire emergency.

• Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Good idea. It will cut down the amount of scenery you need too.

Not really as they're hidden anyway so no scenery there - must be one of my favourite parts of the layout!

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi John,

Can I be cheeky and hi jack your thread for a minute on the subject of shipping things from UK to Melbourne?

Normally I only ship things I sell on the Bay to UK. A guy from Melbourne has asked me if I would ship a loco (if he wins it!) to Melbourne.

I have no problem with doing this now and again, but wondered about you(and others) experience of shipping times and good or bad couriers from the uk? Also anything else I should consider?

Many thanks

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi John,

Can I be cheeky and hi jack your thread for a minute on the subject of shipping things from UK to Melbourne?

Normally I only ship things I sell on the Bay to UK. A guy from Melbourne has asked me if I would ship a loco (if he wins it!) to Melbourne.

I have no problem with doing this now and again, but wondered about you(and others) experience of shipping times and good or bad couriers from the uk? Also anything else I should consider?

Many thanks

Paul

Paul, most of the stuff I order from the UK (from retailers, generally - I've pretty well given up buying on eBay due to the exorbitant Global Shipping Program) comes by Royal Mail International and I've had virtually no problems. Transit times are variable. Pre-Covid about 2 weeks was typical but now it can be up to two months and occasionally more.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Paul, most of the stuff I order from the UK (from retailers, generally - I've pretty well given up buying on eBay due to the exorbitant Global Shipping Program) comes by Royal Mail International and I've had virtually no problems. Transit times are variable. Pre-Covid about 2 weeks was typical but now it can be up to two months and occasionally more.

G'day Paul,

I can echo all of the points John raised above. Ebay has made trade with the UK very difficult post-Brexit, charging 20% VAT on the transaction, including postage, to UK purchasers at point of sale. Similarly, any purchase from outside Australia attracts 10% GST paid by the purchaser, whilst not refunding the 20% VAT!! I do wonder how much of this 'tax' money collected is actually seen by the government? I used to have a nice little trade listing items available cheaply here in Oz, with specific UK interest on UK Ebay, going to keen buyers in the UK. This has all but stopped now. I recently listed some Hornby Trout wagons in the UK, but postage and other charges made them very expensive to eventual buyer. All my Ebay UK purchases now go to an address in the UK, where they are collected until a parcel just under 2kg is possible, then sent out to Oz. The 2kg limit is apparently the limit for Royal Mail International parcels. Usual transit time is 2-3weeks but as St. E said above, it can be longer. Tracking/signed for should be applied to the parcel. I have waited 3+ weeks for a parcel from the Eastern States to WA!

If possible, contact the would-be purchaser outside of Ebay, perhaps through RMWeb pm, and email each other contact details etc. then conduct the sale privately. It will save you both money in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You have my sympathies here.

I don’t think it’s been worse post Covid19, but it hasn’t made the post Brexit situation any better. Parcel deliveries to me in Spain used to be 2 weeks (when the UK was inside the EU) Now we are talking a minimum 7 or 8 weeks…. With duty added on to everything, including magazines in some cases.

Magazines, used to take a week from publishing, it’s now 5 weeks 🙁

I am still waiting for a orders from Modelu; YouChoos and the 3rd Western Times magazine, all from the last week of April 🙁🙁

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

On 19/06/2022 at 17:49, St Enodoc said:

The numbers are fine. I just put the tray in place back-to-front!

To prevent repetition, perhaps write/label "THIS SIDE TO WALL" on the wall side of the tray?  Do it ugly enough and you'll never want to see that side again!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 16Brunel said:

To prevent repetition, perhaps write/label "THIS SIDE TO WALL" on the wall side of the tray?  Do it ugly enough and you'll never want to see that side again!

Might be worth a try - thanks. Perhaps I'll follow the style of those old bumper stickers - "If you can see this, it's back-to-front".

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Even within the UK, eBay’s GSP is poor: expensive, and difficult to track because of the courier they use - and that applies to imports from abroad, too.

I have had problems with Parcelforce: letter requesting VAT payment not delivered, and package returned to sender. He has had this happen twice this year and won’t ship to the UK anymore.

Best service I have had has been with UPS. Never had a problem, and clear tracking.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I am still waiting for... the 3rd Western Times magazine, all from the last week of April 🙁🙁

My most recent Transport Treasury Publishing order took just 12 days from order to delivery and at a very fair postage cost too. Highly recommended (as are the books concerned!).

Usual disclaimer.

• Like 5

My thanks to everyone who responded to my query about shipping from the UK to  Australia.

My potential buyer has now asked me should he win, to ship to his sister in UK. 

So problem solved!

Best regards

Paul

PS

John, I may have missed the answer to this in your earlier posts, in which case, my apologies, but how do you access the reserve locos at the back on your storage tray?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

John, I may have missed the answer to this in your earlier posts, in which case, my apologies, but how do you access the reserve locos at the back on your storage tray?

Paul, they're only about 700mm away but I usually stand on a plastic step from Ikea (other retailers are available).

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s interesting!

I can see that the Vs are ordinary notches: what are the square ended ones and the 2 small square ones?

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

That’s interesting!

I can see that the Vs are ordinary notches: what are the square ended ones and the 2 small square ones?

Paul.

The notches with one square and one angled end are part of the conditional locking (the associated locking bar pins are forced into the notch by a spring on the end of the locking bar). Not entirely sure about the small square ones. All part of Harold's very clever design.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The notches with one square and one angled end are part of the conditional locking (the associated locking bar pins are forced into the notch by a spring on the end of the locking bar). Not entirely sure about the small square ones. All part of Harold's very clever design.

Anyway, Paul @5BarVT, you're the (retired) signalling engineer, not me! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to see if you can work it out from the tappet notch data and the lever leads (hint: I can't...).

St Enodoc SB diagram v5 20190907.pdf

SE lever frame tappet notch data.xls

St Enodoc lever leads v5 20190907.xls

You'll need to use the Modratec number, not the (layout orientation) lever number of course.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ll accept the mission, though it may not be quick.  What I really need is the locking table which I thought we discussed but I can’t find it at present.  When I get round to it I’ll make one up which should help a bit . . .

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2