Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the exercise in Moderatec locking.  It was good mental stimulus and I learnt/remembered stuff.  It’s since dawned on my why Harold’s clever conditional locking wouldn’t be used at 12”:1’ - springs etc to drive locking in isn’t fail safe because stiffness or broken springs means the lock doesn’t engage whereas ‘proper’ locking is forced in by the operation of the other levers.

And returning to the Bluebell, I spoke to Charles on Wednesday at the IRSE Members lunch.  As you might expect, he played down the innovation saying it was ‘only’ combining a push pull lever with some selection.  But he did reveal that there was also some cleverness ‘under the bonnet’ in the locking too.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Today's first task was to join up the ASUs with the point/signal +ve (brown/red), point/signal -ve (blue/red) and point/signal common (blue) wires.

1455598359_20220723001SEleverframeEemecksfitted.JPG.db51df422bc9b112708327dd1c2c3c8e.JPG

I belled these out with each lever in both positions, to check that a) I'd fixed the switches in the right place and b) everything was properly soldered together and the screw terminals secure. I left long flying leads for the layout connections, as I'm not quite sure yet exactly where I'll put these.

Next, I fitted the Eemecks to levers 3 and 25, so that they can be released electrically from Pentowan/Treloggan Junction and Porthmellyn Road respectively. The Eemecks screw on to the front support bar (which, of course, is now at the back) and can be adjusted fore-and-aft so that the piston engages nicely with the hole in the tappet.

1741219199_20220723004SEleverframelever25Eemeck.JPG.f2aa4ae1e20f3dd0a5fb51623561fbfc.JPG

The business end of the Eemeck contains a piston powered by a solenoid built into the tube. The trick is to adjust the piston so that it protrudes just far enough to lock the tappet but not so far that it delays the release. I can adjust it once it's all connected up.

1996417111_20220723005SEleverframetrialfit.JPG.4428471c256bf9ce9b2d52547f4942f3.JPG

Here's the lever frame mounted on the layout, seen from above. Although it all looks fine, it sticks out from the baseboards more than I would like as space for the signalman to sit is quite tight here.

1768311725_20220723007SEleverframetrialfit.JPG.e91334a5068139d1a274752ddb62d83e.JPG

At the moment, as you can see in this view from below, the Eemecks are as close to the L-girder as they will go, which has the drawback that the terminal screws are inaccessible, so tomorrow I'll try the frame with the Eemecks hooked over the far side of the L-girder and see if that looks better. If all goes well, I should be able to transfer control of the points to the lever frame too.

Apart from an extremely basic understanding of mechanical locking this is all gobbledegook to me but the work you have put it to make Mid Cornwall operate like the real thing is very impressive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I tried hooking the Eemecks over the L-girders but there wasn't enough height between the L-girders and the bottom of the track base to feed them through, so the frame will have to stay where I put it yesterday. We'll have to learn to live with that.

I'd be tempted to take a 'bite' out of the top of the L-girder, just enough to ease the Eemecks through.   Using a padsaw.   Looks like you might have enough room to do this without over-compromising the L-girder's integrity?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

I'd be tempted to take a 'bite' out of the top of the L-girder, just enough to ease the Eemecks through.   Using a padsaw.   Looks like you might have enough room to do this without over-compromising the L-girder's integrity?

That's a thought, Phil. I'll have a look next weekend. Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

As always, Charles has produced a very nice 20 minute video. I wrote some captions tonight, so it should be available for viewing within a few days. I think you'll like it.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff, John. 

Lovely to see things moving about and running so well. (Not that there was any doubt of that). 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Very good!

Baz

Nah - much better than that.  Real railway work and a top notch demonstration of it in 4mm scale.    And notwithstanding the lack of scenery it was all completely believable - brilliant stuff.

The Wheal Veronica working, in particular, was most impresssive although the run round prior to going up to Wheal Veronica itself seemed to involve the engine going a bit too far when dropping clear of the points

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nah - much better than that.  Real railway work and a top notch demonstration of it in 4mm scale.    And notwithstanding the lack of scenery it was all completely believable - brilliant stuff.

The Wheal Veronica working, in particular, was most impresssive although the run round prior to going up to Wheal Veronica itself seemed to involve the engine going a bit too far when dropping clear of the points

Thanks Mike, I do appreciate those kind words.

if you mean after the loco has run past the train and reverses to come on and propel it, you might be right. The loco needs to go beyond the Down Home (1/4), which will be somewhere near the far end of the long curved trailing crossover (7). I haven't worked out the exact position yet, so Graham the driver was guessing a bit (and he was about twelve feet away!). I probably need to put some blue map pins in as temporary markers, as I did before at Porthmellyn Road, before I actually install the signals.

Edit: Having looked again I think you probably mean the initial movement on to the branch before running back through Platform 1, in which case you are definitely right! Temporary markers will certainly help.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

the run round prior to going up to Wheal Veronica itself seemed to involve the engine going a bit too far when dropping clear of the points

Obviously the driver was letting the fireman have his go at driving that class of loco, and the former having drummed into the latter the importance of not stopping short of the clearance point, was wetting himself with laughter as the fireman tried to stop the loco by turning the handbrake screw the wrong way, instead of using the steam brake…

Edited by Regularity
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

And here it is:

Most entertaining and very believable.

Do you operate each train in the sequence throughout before starting the next, or was that just for filming to avoid continuity faux pas?

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

And here it is:

Looks really good John. Liking your lever frames too. I want to do that on mine too but feel that may require me to retire first to have the time! I'm envious of the space you've got. Maybe I need to move back to Australia so I can have a bigger layout?! 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant video John.

I have been following Mid-Cornwall for quite a while so it was particularly enjoyable to watch so many of the individual components come together in such an enjoyable manner. I was very impressed with both the ultra smooth running and precise coupling.

You and your crew must have had a very satisfying session

Best wishes from a very hot {82oF) Vancouver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Most entertaining and very believable.

Do you operate each train in the sequence throughout before starting the next, or was that just for filming to avoid continuity faux pas?

Paul.

Thanks Paul. That was just for filming. Normally, once a train has started its journey we advanced the "train describer" and the next train can start as soon as everyone's ready.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, john dew said:

Brilliant video John.

I have been following Mid-Cornwall for quite a while so it was particularly enjoyable to watch so many of the individual components come together in such an enjoyable manner. I was very impressed with both the ultra smooth running and precise coupling.

You and your crew must have had a very satisfying session

Best wishes from a very hot {82oF) Vancouver

Thanks John. Some not-so-good coupling and uncoupling was disguised by Charles' excellent editing and continuity work. If you look carefully you can see the join...

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Barry O said:

I am sure that the operation will return to standard Leeds MRS CIO levels whenI next visit...

Baz

Probably, although we don't have to worry about turning the bl00dy links off.

• Funny 2