RMweb

Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Florida!

I visited a brilliant hobby store today (Colonial Photo and Hobby) and didn't come away empty handed:

20150616_220516.jpg

The boxcars have the running numbers 139145 and 139172.

A 40ft Quad hopper. I liked the look of it.

2 "piggyback" trailers.

And a bulldozer for snow clearance.

I also picked up a Santa Fe metal sign:

20150616_221320.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Railfanning pics are up now Dan!

Now, in a moment of weakness, I bought a Proto 1000 Budd RDC....

Foolish boy! To make it even worse, it is in Southern Pacific livery. I had been thinking about extending the layout to the left, to accommodate a passenger service on the centre track (which also explains away the diamond crossing and why the freight would cross over ;)), but I have questions on the following:

Could I legitimately use it in SP colours? And the SF have rights to use the centre line for switching purposes? (an idea inspired by Dan). Or do I repaint it into SF colours? (for once I would rather not do this because the model is exquisite)

Any thoughts?

DSC00135.jpg

• Like 2

Eh, call it Leased Power and leave it as is. ;)

I'm sure it'll be fine.

I know Conrail leased everything from everyone in the 70's when it was still trying to sort out it's inherited motive power "fleet" (read: junk pile), so I'm sure it happened before then too. :)

It is a gorgeous model though. I'm tempted by an N scale one myself tbh.

• RMweb Gold

I have two of the Proto 1000 RDC's. stripped out the motors and rpainted them with blue ends etc to represent the Seminole Gulf Railway excursion trains hauled by GP9's.

Was a shame to have to do that to them though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The SP had operations in Chicago, but I'm not sure if they had like a "local passenger" service that I could use as inspiration.

The SP only reached Chicago in the 1980s well after the era of local passenger service run by freight railroads.

Santa is too busy to do any railfanning, but I think he is a Union Pacific man...

Thanks Dan and Lloyd. The snow is Woodland Scenics fine snow. It hasn't been glued down yet, just carefully sprinkled over as I adjust it into realistic drifts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Possible stupid question alert: Would a 40ft Quad Hopper have been used to drop salt (for snow melting purposes)? Was this common in the fifties in the US?

Basically, no. Salt wouldn't have been used to clear the rails, just plows. Also, salt would be in covered hoppers as it needs protection from the weather while being transported (an open hopper would end up carrying brine :) ).

If they did salt the yard it would likely be from a truck with a spreader.

Adrian